Sunday, April 27, 2008

Part 4 - Nobody's Perfect

The next night, Dion and I did as promised, and sat around getting wasted while we watched the game on the internet. D has the incredible ability to fucking wasted several nights consecutively. I seriously couldn’t manage that anymore. I guess I was growing up or something.

Either way, at four thirty our time, seven thirty out in Halifax and six thirty in Rimouski, Dion and I were huddled by the computer, waiting for the game to start. We were both already working on our second drinks and we were looking forward to going out after the game to celebrate a Rimouski victory.

At the beginning of the game it actually looked as if the Halifax defense was going to have a chance at stopping the high octane Rimouski offense. The game was scoreless for over nine minutes.

All that changed on a Rimouski power play though and Dion totally called it. “Bet you a shot of tequila that they score on this one.” He said.

“Why on earth would I bet against Rimouski?” I asked.

“Good point.” He replied as Mark Tobin scored.

We both cheered. “It’s about time.” I muttered. “I was starting to get a little nervous.”

D snorted. “You always get nervous Drew. If we don’t have a goal at the end of the first you act like the world is coming to an end.”

I just shrugged. “I like these things to be taken care of early when my boys are playing.” I said simply. “I mean, if its like, the Flames and Oilers, I’m good with a tight game. But if its you or Getter or Sid or Brook or even Mikey, I want you guys to go out and end it before the other team even knows its started.”

Dion chuckled. “I suppose I feel the same way when I’m playing.”

“Damn straight.” I replied with a special smile, just for D.

D and I settled down to watch the game and we were thrilled when less than three minutes later, after the Ocèanic had killed off a penalty, Sidney scored a beauty… his eleventh of the playoffs according to the announcers. My phone buzzed with a text message a couple of seconds later. With a grin I picked it up.

“That from Troy?” Dion asked, curious.

“Yeah.” I replied, scanning the message quickly. “He wanted to make sure that you and I were watching the game. He wasn’t sure if we would be. Someone really needs to remind him about the time difference.”

D laughed. “I have a feeling he’s a little caught up in other things right now Drew. He’s not exactly worried about the fact that it’s only like….” He paused. “What time is it anyway?” He asked, taking another swig of his beer.

I shrugged. “Time for refills I think.” I said, looking at my now empty glass.

“We are going to be extremely wasted by the time this game is over.” D predicted.

“We should probably go out for supper afterwards. Meet Fraz and everyone at BP’s?” I asked from the kitchen. “We can have something to eat.”

“And drink fishbowls.” D added. “Because we both know how much you love fishbowl Friday.”

“Only because Ray is the bartender there.” I pointed out. “I wouldn’t drink a fishbowl or a jug or whatever anywhere else, ‘cause they cheat you on the booze but we both know that RayRay does not stint with us.”

“Rebels for life baby.” D said with a grin.

“Damn straight.” I said, handing him his beer. “Although I think next year its going to be Flames for life.”

“I hope so.” D muttered darkly. “Because I definitely don’t want to go to Lowell. I mean, Lowell whatevers for life? Just doesn’t have the same ring to it.”

I grinned at him. “Definitely not, but something tells me that nothing has the same ring as Rebels for Life.”

“Oh fuck.” D muttered.

“Fuck?” I asked, feeling confused. “Why fuck?”

“The Mooseheads just scored Drew.” D said.

“Oh fuck.” I replied.

The first period ended with Rimouski leading 2-1. Unfortunately for the Nics, the Mooseheads came out strong in the second and scored twice in the first two minutes, taking a 3-2 lead. Dion laughed at me as I paced anxiously around the living room, cursing the Ocèanic’s pitiful defense. “Calm down Drew.” He said, a smirk on his face. “They need this.”

“What they need is the fucking lead back.” I snapped.

“They’ll get it back.” D told me confidently. “Don’t worry. They need a little scare if they’re going to finish this thing in four.”

D was right. Less then two minutes later, Patrick Coulombe tied the game for the Nics on the power play on a great feed from Sidney. A minute and a bit later Eric Neilson, Sidney’s roommate, gave Rimouski the lead again. Three minutes later, Dany Roussin got his tenth of the playoffs to give Rimouski a 5-3 lead.

I was ecstatic until Halifax tied the game before the end of the second. I shook my head as I continued drinking. “This is fucking awful.” I said to D anxiously jiggling my knee. “Now the fucking Mooseheads are going to think that they actually have a chance.”

D shrugged. “Maybe they do.” He pointed out. “I know that that’s not what you want to hear Drew, but its true.”

I glared at him. “You’re damn straight that its not what I want to hear.” I snapped. “Nor is it what I want to see. I want Rimouski to close the door and close it hard.”

D shook his head. “Things aren’t always going to be perfect Drew. They might actually have to work for this series.”

I shrugged. “I would rather that it was just a four game series.” I said. “I want Sid to be able to keep his promise about getting to London. He’ll be more upset then I am if he doesn’t make it.”

D nodded. “I know he will Drew.” He said. “But everything in life happens for a reason. Don’t forget that.”

“How can I?” I muttered angrily. “It’s not like you’ll let me forget.”

D laughed and gave me a quick hug. “Only because I love you Drew.” He pointed out. “Only because I love you.”

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. My cell rang. I hurried to answer it. “Hello?” I said.

“You’re keeping an eye on the game right Drew?” Troy Crosby’s voice replied from the other end of the line.

“Dion and I are watching it on the internet Troy.” I said. “It’s early here still so it’s a good time to catch a game on a Friday.”

“Oh good.” Troy said with a relieved sigh. “Sidney was a little worried before the game that you wouldn’t be able to watch it.”

“Nope.” I said. “I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” I paused. “Of course, I’d be a lot happier if Rimouski were winning right now.”

“Desjardins is looking a little jittery.” Troy admitted. “I’m sure he’ll stand on his head in the third.”

I shrugged. “I’ll take your word for it Troy.” I said. “Because I’m not exactly sure that I’ve seen it from him yet.”

“He’s got it Drew don’t worry.” Troy said. “I’ll tell Sid that you and Dion are watching. That will help.”

“Okay.” I said with a bit of a smile. “Tell Trina and Taylor I say hi. I’ll talk to Sid later too.”
With that, Troy let me go. I turned to D. “Troy wanted to make sure that we were watching, and to let me know that Desjardins is going to stand on his head in the third.”

“Well that’s good to know.” D said. “Because I know how badly these guys want to win.”

D looked sad, thinking clearly of the Rebels loss during the playoffs. I put a hand on his shoulders. “I know you do D-fense.” I said, kissing him on the cheek. “And next year, when you’re in the pros with the Flames, you’ll give them the edge they need to be one of the best teams in the league.”

“Love the faith in me Drew, but what if Sidney ends up an Oiler?” He asked.

“Umm then I have no choice but to commit suicide.” I replied with a chuckle, showing him that I was joking. “I mean, my best friend a Flame and my boyfriend an Oiler? How could any girl live with the shame?”

Dion laughed. “I don’t know how any girl could live with the shame of having an Oiler for a boyfriend.”

I winked at him. “I was talking more about the pain of having a best friend who was a Flame, but either way.” I said with a shrug.

D pretended to be ready to backhand me. He would never do that, so I hit him gently on the shoulder. “Bitch.” He muttered.

“Love you too Phaneuf.” I said with a teasing grin as I finished another drink.

We sat back down to watch the rest of the game. We watched anxiously for the first ten minutes of the period as neither team was able to score. Finally with less then ten minutes to go in the period Zbynek Hrdel, who’d been on the Czech national team in Grand Forks, scored his seventh to give the Nics the lead. That lead held and the Ocèanic were able to control the play, and it wasn’t until there were ten seconds left in the game that the Mooseheads were able to pull their goalie. With the goalie out of the net Dany Roussin added an empty netter to seal the deal for the Nics.

Dion and I cheered the boys on every second of the third. We were ecstatic when Hrdel scored, even more so when Dany Roussin added the empty netter. We were also extremely drunk. I grabbed my cell, knowing full well that Sidney probably wasn’t going to call that night. Not after having won a big game like this, and D and I headed out to meet our people. We were in the mood to celebrate.

No comments: