Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Girl Next Door Chapter 33

What?!?!” he exclaimed, pausing the movie. “You saw me play at Shattuck?”
“I didn’t want to tell you at first, since you’d think I was a total stalker,” she explained, “but we were back in Minnesota for Christmas in 2002, and we heard from a friend that we should go down to Faribault, and see Shattuck play, because they were really good. So, we decided to go.”
“Wow, this is really weird,” he said, laughing. “First, Dave Silk in Miracle is your cousin, and then you saw me play three years ago?”
“Yep,” she told him, laughing with him. “It’s a small world. Oh, and I have your Shattuck trading card, they handed it to us when we went into the game.”
“Wow,” he said again, shaking his head. “It’s a small world.”
“Yes it is,” she replied.
“Well, what did you think of me at Shattuck?” he asked, with a serious look on his face for about two seconds, until he burst out laughing.
“You weren’t all that great for someone who is now a phenom,” she joked. “No, just kidding,” she said, laughing as she saw the puppy dog look on his face, and then he started to laugh, “you were awesome, easily better than any of the other players on the team.”
To that comment, he blushed.
“Do you realize you do that a lot?” she asked.
“What?” he asked back.
“Blush,” she told him, to which he blushed again.
“Oh, sorry,” he sarcastically told her. “Seriously though, I never realized it.”
“I think it’s cute,” she told him.
“Thanks,” he joked. “But do you know who I think is cute?”
“Who?” she asked him.
“You,” he said, to which he kissed her.
They kept kissing. Right there in Kate’s family room. So glad my parents aren’t home, she thought to herself. As they made out, Sidney zippered her hoodie down, and took it off of her, putting it on the floor. After a while, they leaned back on the couch, and Kate was laying down on the couch with him on top of her. As she reached to zipper down his hoodie, she heard the garage door go up.
“Shit!” she whispered to him. “We have to stop!”
Sidney got up off of her, and grabbed her hoodie for her. She put it back on, and started the movie back up again, placing her head on his shoulder. He reached for her hand as the garage door closed.
“Hey kids!” Tom said as he walked in the door. “How’s everything?”
“Good,” they replied.
“Ah, Miracle,” Sarah said. “Oh look, there’s Bobby!”
All of them laughed.
“I just told Sid about Bobby,” Kate told her parents.
“You hadn’t told him at one point or another?” Tom asked.
“The subject never really came up,” she told them. “And I told him we saw him play at Shattuck three years ago.”
“Still have the trading card Katie?” Sarah asked, laughing.
“Actually, yes, I do,” she told them as she blushed and laughed. “I’ll run up and get it.”
“I’ll come with,” Sidney said, and they got up off the couch and went upstairs, as Kate’s parents walked into the kitchen.
“It’s in here somewhere,” Kate said, as she got her hockey card album out of her nightstand drawer.
“That’s still weird, but cool, how you saw me play three years ago,” he said. “Oh, Katie?”
“Yes?” she asked.
“Where’s that photo album of your trip to Vancouver?” he asked.
“On my bookshelf, bottom shelf,” she said, indicating the tall bookshelf she had in her room.
He walked over, and crouched down to get it. He then started to laugh as he took a book off the shelf.
“You bought this?” he asked her.
“My dad bought it for me, he thought it would be funny for me to have,” she tried to explain as she laughed. “But I really did read it. Sid, you never told me what an interesting life you’ve led!”
“I haven’t led an interesting life,” he told her.
“Actually, I thought when you played hockey over in the Czech Republic was interesting,” she said. “How your teammates bought toy uzis and used them to shoot plastic bullets at each other had me laughing for about an hour. Your biography was extremely interesting.”
“That guy followed me around for years writing that!” he joked.
“I could tell. Anyways, I liked the book,” she told him.
“I’ll put it back,” he said, placing the book back on the shelf. “I just think it’s funny how you have it,” he explained, reaching for the Vancouver photo album.
“Found it!” Kate exclaimed. “Your Shattuck card!”He walked over and sat next to Kate on her bed. Sure enough, there was Sidney, when he was fifteen, in his Shattuck-St. Mary’s uniform. He laughed, and the two of them walked back downstairs, showing the card to her parents. They then started the movie back up as Sid looked through the photo album, and he asked her what it was like on the set. Kate said that she had had so much fun, playing with the guys. Everybody on the team knew that the trip could never be topped. So, they sat around the rest of the afternoon, watching movies, and going through Kate’s old photo albums. He left in the evening, because he had practice the next morning, and Kate had school. She’d see him again on Wednesday, after the first game back from the Olympic break.

No comments: