Sunday, April 27, 2008

Chapter 13 - Some Kind of Wonderful

I didn’t see Sidney for a couple of days, but when he came back on Tuesday night, I was at the airport with his family, waiting for him. I hadn’t intended on coming along. I was just going to go to the Crosby’s and drop off Sid’s truck, but Troy and Trina had insisted that I come along. They said that Sidney would want his truck back ASAP because he probably had somewhere he’d want to be.

“Dare!” Sidney called happily, waving as he stepped out of the baggage claim area.

I shook my head. “Hey Sid.” I replied, hugging him quickly. “You should so hug your family first.” I whispered to him even as I accepted his hug.

“You’re hotter.” He whispered back.

I just shook my head and laughed as Sidney hugged his Mom and Dad and his little sister. He turned to me after they’d talked and he’d shown off his ring. “Did you bring the truck Dare?” He asked.

I tossed him the keys gently. “Full tank of gas and all.” I told him with a smile.

“Good.” He said. “Let’s go.”

“When are you going to be home?” Troy asked, not the least bit surprised.

Sidney shrugged. “Sometime before the draft.” He said with a grin. “I’ve got my cell, it’s fully charged, call me.”

“Where are you going?” I asked, feeling a little confused, standing back a bit.

“I want to take you somewhere.” Sidney told me with a charming smile, holding his hand out for me to take.

I didn’t reach for his hand, but I did move to follow him. “Where are we going?” I asked.

“Just wait.” He told me with a grin.

“I want to know where we’re going first.” I said, folding my arms across my chest stubbornly.

“Come on Dare….” Sidney said backing away from me, his hands outstretched, as if he expected me to take them. “It’s a surprise….”

“Me being here was supposed to be the surprise.” I pointed out to him.

Sidney shrugged and grinned arrogantly. “I knew you’d be here.” He told me. “Now come on.”

“Sid….” I said slowly.

“What?” He asked.

“Umm, your family?” I replied, looking back at Troy, Trina and Taylor uncertainly.

“They’ll see me later.” Sidney replied with a shrug.

“I could see you later.” I pointed out reasonably.

“Dare please?” Sidney asked, his eyes sad.

“Don’t look at me like that!” I said in mock anger, teasing him.

“How do you want me to look at you?” Sidney replied, raising and lowering his eyebrows suggestively.

I rolled my eyes. “You’re being silly again.” I said firmly.

“Then let’s get out of here.”

“Go on.” Troy said looking around with a smile. “Before my son makes a total ass out of himself in a public place.”

I couldn’t help but giggle. “See you guys later then.” I said, smiling at Sid as we headed out of the airport, shoulder to shoulder.

He bumped me with his shoulder and I bumped him back as we headed out to his truck. He bumped me again and I bumped him back. Yes, it was flirting, but it was nice to have someone to flirt with. Then, instead of bumping me back, Sidney grabs me and pulls me into his arms, kissing me passionately.

We were walking backwards as we kiss, his arms wrapped tightly around my body, until I hit the truck. Immediately the alarm started going off. Sidney chuckled as I shrieked and we jumped apart. “Oops.” He said sheepishly as he turned the alarm off. Then he turned back to me. “Now where were we?” He asked me, his voice low and soft as he leaned in.

“We were going to be leaving because you want to take me somewhere.” I said with an impish grin, pushing him away gently.

“You’re no fun Dare.” Sidney pouted. “We were having so much fun….”

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. “Remember Crosby, you have to catch me by surprise.”

Sidney smiled slyly. “Don’t tempt me Dare.”

I shrugged. “I thought I didn’t have to do anything in particular to tempt you.” I said. “I thought it just happened whenever you’re graced with my presence. I thought that’s why you acted like such an idiot when I’m around.”

“You drive me crazy Dare.” Sidney said, leaning in close, his lips inches from mine, his breath (which smelled deliciously of mint by the way) hot on my cheek. I could feel the heat from his body. It was driving ME insane.

“Good.” I said dizzily.

He leaned in and kissed me quickly. I didn’t object. I couldn’t, at least not right then. “Let’s go.” He said, pulling back slightly, but his lips still dangerously close to mine.

I knew that he wanted me to kiss him… me to make the move, but I just couldn’t. Instead, I hugged him tightly. “Let’s go Crobsy.” I whispered in his ear.

He placed a hot kiss on my neck. “God I want you naked.” He murmured.

“Gee Crosby, that’s so sweet.” I said with a teasing grin as I pushed him away gently. “It almost makes me want to get naked for you.”

“Bitch.” Sidney muttered with a smile as he held the door to the truck open for me.

I shrugged. “To quote you Sid, you like me like that.”

Sidney chuckled. “I do.” He said nodding.

“So where are we going?” I asked.

“For dinner.” Sidney replied, which didn’t really tell me anything. For all I knew we were going to swing through the drive thru.

“They didn’t feed you on the plane?” I joked.

“Not enough.” Sidney replied, looking at me as though he had decided that he was going to eat me.

That was look and the thoughts it inspired were enough to send a shiver running up and down my spine. “So really Crosby, where are we going?” I asked again.

“That’s for me to know.” He told me with a sly grin. “And for you to find out.”

“So I do actually get to find out where we’re going?” I asked, looking at him sideways.

“Of course.” He replied, with a wicked grin. “When we get there.”

I shook my head and rolled my eyes. We sat in silence for a few minutes before Sidney reached into his bag and pulled out a mix CD. He put it in the CD player and pressed play. A cheesy pop song started to play. I glanced over and Sidney and raised my eyebrows. I couldn’t imagine that he actually LIKED this kind of music.

He smiled slyly back at me and took my hand in his. His thumb stroked my palm gently and I couldn’t make myself let go. He was so damnably adorable. We sat in silence for a moment or two before Sidney turned to me and said. “Quit your job Dare.”

I glanced over at him, completely startled. “And how precisely am I going to pay my bills if I do something like that?”

“I’ll take care of them.” Sidney said with a nonchalant shrug. “I want you to come with us this summer, and with the deal just about done with the NHL and the PA Dad says we’re going to be travelling a lot. I want you to come with us.”

“I don’t take charity Crosby.” I said stiffly, feeling immediately uncomfortable.

“It won’t be charity Dare.” Sid replied, not noticing how upset I was. “I’ll give you a job.”

“As what?” I demanded angrily. “Your personal whore? Look Crosby, I know you like me and all, but something tells me that you don’t need to pay for it.”

“Darryl Katerina Yelsaveta Koryluk!” Sidney cried as he slammed on the brakes and we both jerked forward. To my surprise, he pronounced my names correctly, which is very odd, to say the least. “How on earth could you possibly think that?”

“How do you know my full name?” I demanded. “I never told you.”

“You told Taylor.” Sidney said. “She told me.”

“Oh.” I said in a small voice.

“How on earth could you possibly think that I would want to pay you for something like that Dare?” Sidney demanded, looking hurt.

I glanced over at him and our eyes met. “Look, Sid I’m sorry.” I muttered, feeling completely ashamed of myself. “Remember when I told you that guys never kept promises? And that they used me for sex?”

Sidney nodded. “And I know that means that it’s going take time for you to trust me Dare, but still….”

“I know.” I said, reaching over and touching his cheek gently “And I’m sorry Sidney. I was wrong.”

Sidney grinned wickedly. “What did you just say Dare?” He asked.

“I was wrong.” I repeated with a shrug. “But don’t let it go to your head.” I told him. “Because that’s probably going to be the only time.”

“As for your job for the summer, because I know you love to teach.” Sidney said. “My agent needs a new personal assistant. He keeps losing them.”

“Losing them?” I asked raising my eyebrows.

“Okay, he’s tough.” Sidney said with a shrug. “But it would explain you being with us. Pat and I talked about it, and he figures it will work and no one will ask questions.”

“So you’re agent’s coming with you on vacation?” I asked, my eyebrows raised.

“Our family is vacationing with his.” Sidney replied with a shrug. “Pat’s been part of the family since he became my agent when I was 14.”

“Oh.” I said.

“Don’t decide now Dare.” Sidney said softly, his hand reaching for mine. “Think about it. But give notice soon if you’re going to.”

“So you’re not mad me?” I asked in a small voice.

“Maybe a little….” Sidney said teasingly. “I mean, you did accuse me of wanting to buy you for sex….” He paused and grinned. “But you did admit that you were wrong, so I think we’re good.”

“Good.” I said, leaning across the truck and kissing him softly on the cheek. “Because much as I hate to admit it Crosby, you do grow on people. Kind of like a fungus, but now that you’re there, I kind of like it.”

No comments: