Saturday, April 26, 2008

Chapter 50 - How I Spent My Summer Vacation

For the rest of the afternoon I was essentially forced to stand there and listen to Cassie, Aurora and Jane go on and on about the latest gossip and basically insulted anyone they weren’t friends with. Including me. I guess being the phenom’s girlfriend doesn’t make you immune from cliquey nonsense.

“Cassie.” A voice called towards the end of the session from the wives section of the bleachers. “Bring Sidney’s little girlfriend over here.”

I raised my eyebrows at her tone, which was clearly intended to insult me. Cassie smiled at me triumphantly, as though she’d won because this woman was a bitch. “Jessica this is Nicole, Nicole this is Jessica Conroy.”

“Nickie Roy.” I said, offering her my hand to shake.

She shook my hand firmly, appraising me silently. “So how do you like Los Angeles so far?” She asked in a superior tone.

“I’ve been here before.” I said with a shrug. “So it’s not really a big deal for me. The Crosby’s are more excited about this than I am.”

That got her attention. “Oh really?” She asked. “Did you come on vacation with your parents?”

“You could call it that.” I said with a nonchalant shrug. “My Mom likes to travel.”

“Have you ever been to New York?” She asked, her tone almost assuming that the answer would be no.

“A few times.” I replied, shrugging again. “This is actually the first year that I haven’t spent part of my summer in Europe since I was 11.”

“Europe?” She asked, raising her eyebrows, sounding impressed.

“Yes.” I said, repeating myself as if she were stupid. “Europe.”

After that I couldn’t wait for the practice session to be over as the women peppered me with questions about Paris and London. I was bored. As soon as Sidney was off the ice I grabbed him. “Can we go back to the hotel?” I hissed. “I can’t take much more of this.”

“I wish.” Sidney muttered tiredly. “We have to get the first class treatment or something. They’re taking us to dinner and then the Conroy’s are taking us out.”

“Do these people not realize that we’re 16?” I asked. “I mean, they’re taking us out clubbing? How would they feel if we were their children?”

Sidney burst out laughing. “It must have been really bad if you don’t want to go clubbing.” He pointed out, shoving me gently with his stick.

“I didn’t say I didn’t want to go clubbing.” I muttered with a bit of a smile at how well he knew me. “Just not with old people.”

Sidney laughed. “Well if you want to go you’ll have to deal with the old people.”

So we participated in the LA Kings planned activities. Sid, Pat, his parents, Taylor and I had dinner with the owner and a bunch of executives, as well as the Conroy’s. The whole time being told about why its so wonderful to live and play in LA.

Truthfully I was bored to tears. So was Sidney, if the way he was massaging my leg under the table was any indication. He was trying to tease me if only to amuse himself. I reached over and started massaging his thigh. Two could play at that game.

“Nickie….” Sidney leaned over and whispered in my ear.

I smiled at him and raised my eyebrows. “What?” I asked innocently.

“Do you want to share a piece of cheesecake for dessert?” He asked.

I giggled and agreed. Even though I couldn’t wait for this to be over. Eventually, when everyone was done eating, the owner announced that Craig and Jessica wanted to take us “around” and suggested that Trina, Troy and Taylor head back to their hotel suite for the evening.

To my surprise they agreed without question. I guess part of me actually wanted Trina to put a stop to this. For all the times she’d put a stop to things that we hadn’t wanted her to put a stop to, this time I could have dealt with it.

As soon as everyone was gone, Jessica turned to us and smiled. “You have to tell me more about Paris Nicole.” She said anxiously. “Maybe you can help convince Craig that he needs to take me.”

I shrugged and gave Sidney a pointed look. “It’s beautiful, and the shopping is great. There are so many wonderful museums and art galleries to see. If you get the chance go see Versailles, it is absolutely gorgeous… decadent even. Mom and I mainly went to shop though.”

Craig rolled his eyes with a pleasant smile. “And that is exactly what Jessie would do. Shop. And we don’t know what’s going to happen when the lockout ends. I might not make enough money for that.”

“But Craig is going to go play somewhere in Europe next year.” Jessica said proudly, squeezing his forearm possessively. “What are you going to do Sidney?”

Sidney rolled his eyes in my direction. “Going back to my junior team for another year.” He said. “I could stay with Rimouski for three or four more years. Not that I expect to.” He added as a bit of an afterthought.

“You mean you aren’t going to Europe?” She asked, looking surprised.

“Umm I’m not a pro yet.” He said. “I have to like, finish high school first.”

Craig smiled. “For a hockey wife, Jessie doesn’t pay much attention to the actual sport.”

I smiled as charmingly as possible. “See and part of what attracted me to Sidney was my hockey sense.”

Craig continued to smile as we piled into the limo. It seemed to me that he was just a smiley guy. He hugged his wife. “Jessica is a sweetheart.” He said. “That’s what attracted me to her.”

Sidney chuckled. “Nickie’s a brat.” He told Craig. “But that’s why I love her.”

I stuck my tongue out at him. “You love me ‘cause I could care less whether or not you break another record.” I pointed out.

“Well that too.” Sidney said with a smile.

“So where are we going?” I asked when Craig and Jessica didn’t say anything.

“Didn’t you hear?” Craig joked. “We’re showing you “around”.”

I rolled my eyes. About forty minutes later, and Sidney and I both having agreed that we hate Los Angeles traffic, we arrived at a club and were whisked through the doors. No waiting in line for us. We sat down and a bottle of Cristal immediately arrived at our table.

Sidney and I each had a glass while people greeted Craig and Jessica. It was weird. This whole situation was weird. I knew that I didn’t like it, especially since so many of these people were whispering behind their hands at us.

I sighed and took another sip of my drink. A song came on that I really liked. “Come on phenom.” I said, standing and grabbing his hand. “We’re going to dance.”

“But I hate dancing.” Sidney whined as I dragged him onto the dance floor.

“And I hate fake people.” I grumbled wrapping my arms around his neck. “All you have to do is stand there and shuffle your feet Sid. I’ll do the rest.”

He stood there and did exactly as he was told and I giggled. “It would help if you wrapped your arms around me phenom.” I whispered in his ear, my arm reaching back to play with his hair.
Sidney did as he was told and I moaned low and his hands worked their way over my body. “That better?” He whispered softly.

“Much better.” I replied grinding my ass into his groin.

A few songs later Jessica and Craig came and pulled us off the dance floor. “You two can’t be on the dance floor all night.” Jessica said, sounding too perky. “You need to network!”

“But we’re having fun.” I told her.

“You’ll have more fun if you meet the right people.” She said. “Trust me.”

So Sidney and I followed her. We spent the rest of the night having Jessica’s idea of fun, which was apparently talking to people and then talking about them behind their backs. It was no fun as far as I was concerned.

Around four in the morning Sidney and I made it back to the hotel. I sighed as I kicked off my shoes. “God that was awful.” I grumbled, heading into the bathroom and grabbing a hair tie, pulling my hair into a sloppy ponytail.

“So are you saying that you didn’t have any fun?” Sidney asked.

“Why did you?” I replied, suddenly worried that he had fun and that he wanted to be here in LA next year or whenever.

“Did you?” He asked, slipping his arms around my waist.

“Not really.” I said, shaking my head. “In fact, I didn’t have any fun at all today.”

“I’m sorry Nickie.” Sidney mumbled. “The camp has been good… I mean, I need to stay in shape for next season, but there’s no reason for you to be bored to tears by cliquey, snotty women who think that they’re better then everyone else.”

I sighed, turning in his arms and kissing him softly. “I love you.” I said quietly.

“But….?” Sidney asked softly.

“I wish we were back home in Rimouski where people aren’t so fake. And if they are, we don’t have to be around them.” I muttered darkly.

Sidney sighed and released me plopping down in a chair. “I know.” He said, running an irritated hand through his hair. “I wish we were back home too.” He told me. “But we can’t forget that next year we’re going to be in a situation like this Nickie. Or I will.”

I sighed and sat myself down on his lap. “I know. What kills me is that I might not be able to be with you because of University. And I have to go to school Sid.” I said. “I can’t just be a wife the way Jessica is. I need something of my own.”

Sidney sighed and kissed the top of my head. “I know you do brat. I would never ask you to give up everything that you love for me. You want to be a lawyer. I want to be a hockey player. I don’t see why we can’t both have what we want.”

“And still be together?” I asked in a small voice.

“Of course brat.” Sidney replied, his lips sliding over mine.

“Good.” I murmured. “And when can we go home?” I asked.

Sidney sighed. “You mean they didn’t tell you?”

“Tell me what?” I asked, cuddling closer and feeling confused.

“Nickie, sweetie… doucette.” Sidney said gently, using Mark’s nickname for me. “When we fly home to Halifax, you’re flying to Fort McMurray to go see your grandparents.”

“You mean I’m not going to see you before school starts?” I asked, tears filing my eyes.

Sidney stroked my hair with a gentle hand. “I’m sorry brat.” He muttered. “I thought that your parents or mine would have told you by now.”

I shrugged and titled my head for his kiss. “I love you.” I whispered. “I don’t want to leave you. I want to be there for you next year.”

Sidney’s arms tightened around you. “And I’m going to need you next year.” He replied. “With no NHL all the attention in Canada is going to be on the junior leagues… and I’m going to be under a lot of pressure.”

“It’s not getting any better is it?” I mumbled sadly, very much aware of his hands on me. “It’s just going to keep getting worse.”

Sidney sighed and his hands stopped moving. “Probably not brat. And it will just get worse after next year when I’m in the pros.”

I sighed and kissed him softly. “I’m sorry Sidney.” I mumbled.

“Sorry for what brat?” Sidney asked.

“That I’m not going to be there next year for you phenom.” I mumbled kissing him softly, tears sliding down my cheeks. “That you’re going to have to face all of that media bullshit alone.”

“I’m not going to lie brat.” Sidney said slowly. “Going home at night and not having you there isn’t going to be easy. I’ve gotten used to it over the past year. But I’m going to call every night I can, I promise.”

I looked deeply in his eyes and at that moment I made a decision. “And I promise that I will do everything in my power to come home to you phenom. I need you too.”

No comments: