Sunday, April 27, 2008

Chapter 9 - Some Kind of Wonderful

About an hour after I was done showering, my phone rang. “Hello?” I asked picking it up breathlessly as I ran from the bathroom to answer it on the fourth ring.

“Hey Dare.” Sidney’s voice replied. “Whatcha doing?” He asked.

I shrugged. “Putting some makeup on so that I look human again.” I said.

“You look fine without makeup.” He told me insistently.

I rolled my eyes. “And you have clearly shown me that you’re biased.” I told him. I paused. “Why are you calling?” I asked. “We just finished running together like an hour ago.”

I could almost see him shrug. “My Mom and Dad suggested that I invite you for dinner on Sunday night.” He said. “But then they remembered that I have to go to Toronto to pick out my World Junior ring. Then they decided that you should come for brunch before I leave. So I figured that with all the begging it was going to take to get you have a meal with my family, I’d better start now.”

I giggled. “You’re probably right.”

“So I’m going to have to beg?” He replied.

“Oh definitely.” I told him seriously. “I can’t make things easy for you Sid.”

“I’ve noticed.” He said dryly. “So what’s it going to take to get you over here for brunch tomorrow?” He asked me.

I shrugged. “Oh I don’t know….” I said slowly. “What do you think it’s going to take?”

“A lot of begging and pleading?” He replied, his voice hopeful.

“Probably.” I said with a small grin.

The minute I realized that I had that little grin on my face was the minute that I started to worry. I mean, I’m sure you know what little grin I’m talking about. You know the one you get when you’re smitten with someone? When you like them far more then you ever intended to? If I was starting to be smitten with the boy, it was NOT a good thing. Being smitten with a 17-year-old is just plain BAD.

“Pretty please?” He asked. “With a cherry on top? I’ll never ask if I can shower with you again.”

“Never again?” I replied raising my eyebrows. “That’s a pretty big promise.”

I could hear the grin in his voice and I’m sure he was shrugging. “Well I just intend to wait until you ask me to take one with you.”

I snorted. “Well Crosby, no one can ever say that you lack confidence or self-esteem.” I told him again. “But I highly doubt that I am ever going to ask you to shower with me.”

“You will someday.” He said confidently. “After I drive you crazy, because I plan on finding every place on your body that makes you shiver when its kissed or touched just right.”

I would never tell him this, but his words were making me shiver. I’m very verbal and words can turn me on, and his definitely were. Instead of letting him know this, I yawned and feigned boredom. “Sure Crosby… whatever you say.” I said.

“You are going to be a challenge Dare.” He said, I was sure that smile was still on his face. “And I’m going to enjoy every minute of it.”

Neither of us said anything for a few minutes…. I was still trying to get over the fact that all it took was a few words for him to get me hot and bothered. It had been a long time since a guy had managed that. Finally Sidney broke the silence, realizing that I wasn’t going to say anything.

“So will you come for brunch tomorrow?” He asked. “It’s going to be early, around 9:30, but will you come?”

“9:30?” I said hesitantly. “I didn’t manage to drag my ass out of bed before 12. I highly doubt that I am going to be able to manage 8:30, which is the absolute latest I can be up and still look presentable….” I trailed off. I was totally teasing him.

“Please Dare?” He asked again. “I mean, if I have come over and sit there with the whole puppy dog face thing going on, I’ll do that.”

“You just want an excuse to come over.” I teased him.

“Probably.” He said. “That and I now realize that I need to find out what kind of effect, if any, the puppy dog face has on you.”

I giggled. “You are something else Crosby.” I told him. “I think you may just have convinced me that I need to come from brunch if only because I don’t want you to find out what kind of effect the puppy dog face has on me.”

“So it does have an effect on you?” He asked slyly.

“Of course.” I said. “I’m just not going to tell you what. Besides, if I were you, I would save the puppy dog face for when I’d really fucked up.”

“And you think that I’m going to fuck up?” He replied.

“Inevitably at some point you are going to dig yourself into some kind of hole Crosby.” I pointed out. “You might want to save the puppy dog face to be your ace in the hole when that happens.”

“And what do you plan to do when you dig yourself into some kind of hole?” He asked flirtatiously.

“Who says I’m going to dig myself into any kind of hole?” I replied.

“Well if it’s inevitable that I am going to dig myself into some kind of a hole, that logically it’s also inevitable that you are eventually going to dig yourself into some kind of hole.” He pointed out.

I shrugged, even though he couldn’t see me. “But I have a good 5 years on you Crosby.” I pointed out. “So it stands to reason that I am far less likely then you are to dig myself into any kind of hole.”

“Well my agent always says I act like I’m 22….” He trailed off.

I giggled. “You do realize how silly that sounded right?” I said.

“I’m trying to impress you.” He replied. “Can you blame me?”

“For making an idiot of yourself?” I asked. “I don’t know… that’s pretty unforgivable.” I teased him.

“Bitch.” He replied. “No Mom, it’s okay, it’s an inside joke.” He said, clearly not talking to me.

“Tsk, tsk.” I said, shaking my head. “Way to get caught calling me names. Your Mom is going to think that you’ve been corrupted by your time in the Q.”

Sidney chuckled. “My Mom already knows that I’ve already been corrupted by my time in the Q.” He said. “When I left for Shattuck’s I was her little boy, and when I came back….” He trailed off.

“You had been corrupted by the same forces that corrupt all hockey players who leave home at young age?” I finished.

“Pretty much yeah.” He said, and I knew he was smiling. “But I’m not like, as bad as some guys on the Nics.” He added. “Some of them have been arrested for DUI’s and resisting arrest… a lot of them smoke weed and drink all the time.”

I shrugged. “There is nothing wrong with drinking, when you’re legal.” I pointed out. “Aren’t you the one whose planning to go to Quèbec for his 18th birthday?”

“Well yeah.” He said sheepishly.

“And like you aren’t going to be completely and totally wasted.” I said with a smirk.

“Probably.” He replied. “Which is why you need to come with me.”

“So I can see you wasted?” I replied. “I don’t think so.”

“No, so you can help take care of me.” Sidney said. “I mean you are a teacher after all, you’re probably really, really good at taking care of people.”

I rolled my eyes. “Well now that makes the prospect of coming with you seem all the more attractive. Now I can hold your hair when you’re puking your guts out.” I said. “That sounds like a great time.”

“Or you could get really, really, really drunk right along with me.” He said. “And then we could make my friends take care of both of us.”

“It’s all going to be young hockey players isn’t it?”

“Yep.” He said.

“No one is going to be able to take care of either of us.” I said. “Everyone is going to be far too drunk, and too busy getting laid… or trying too.”

“They should all succeed.” Sidney said matter of factly.

“So that’s why you want me along….” I teased. “So that I can take care of you, since your friends will be too busy too.”

“Well that and the chance that maybe I’ll be able to get you drunk and take advantage of you.” He replied. “Or maybe I’ll be drunk and you’ll take advantage of me. Either way, I won’t be objecting.”

“So you’d get me drunk to get me in bed?” I replied.

“Naw.” He said. “Not really, though if you want to get me drunk and take advantage of me, I’ll let you know now that I’m totally cool with it.”

I shook my head and laughed. “Sid you are insane.”

“Nope.” He replied. “Not insane. I just know that there is no way you are going to manage to get laid between now and August, and that by the time my birthday rolls around you are going to be so horny it’s not going to take very much to get you into bed.”

“You know you really aren’t helping your cause Sidney.” I paused. “Besides, who says I won’t manage to get some between now and then?”

“You’re new here.” He said. “And you’re going to be teaching at a private school. You don’t want to fuck that up.”

“True.” I admitted.

“So you’re going to be right horny.” He teased. “And then I am going to take the time to explore every inch of your body so I can figure out what makes you scream….” He paused. “And don’t worry Dare… we’re both going to enjoy every second of it.”

No comments: