Sunday, April 27, 2008

Part 3 - Nobody's Perfect

About an hour after the game was done, D and I were still sitting around and D was getting shit-faced (it was a Thursday night and I had to work the next day so I was abstaining) when the phone rang. D grabbed it before I could. “Hello?” He said. “Oh yeah, hey Sid. Good game tonight. Yeah, just having a couple of drinks. Well I am, Drew’s being a bit of a prude tonight.” Dion told him, rolling his eyes.

I stuck my tongue out at him. “I have to work tomorrow.” I reminded him. “Give me the phone.”

Dion laughed at something Sid said. “Yeah, she’s right here man.” He said. “Uh-huh. Okay, I’ll tell her.” He said, making to hang up the phone.

“Don’t you dare.” I hissed grabbing the phone.

D grinned infuriatingly and handed me the phone. “Like he would just tell me to tell you something and then hang up.” He said, rolling his eyes. “The boy is in just as deep as you are Drew.”

I stuck my tongue out at him. “Ass.” I muttered. “Hey Sid.” I said cheerfully into the phone.

“Hey Drew.” He replied, clearly both tired and excited. “So D says that you guys watched the game.”

“Yeah, it was freaking awesome Sid.” I said. “I mean, you guys clearly dominated. Way to go.”

“Except for the stint in the third we totally didn’t dominate then.” I could almost see the disgusted look on his face as he said this.

I shrugged. “Well when you score 9 goals, letting in 4 isn’t that big a deal.”

“They’ll tighten up tomorrow night.” Sidney said. “And we have to be ready.”

“And you will be Sid.” I told him confidently. “I have faith in you honey.”

“Isn’t that sweet….” Dion cooed.

“Asshole.” I muttered, kicking him. “Not you Sidney.” I said quickly. “D-fense over here seems to think he needs to add colour commentary to our conversation.”

Sidney chuckled. “Tell him to go have another beer.” He suggested.

“Are you trying to promote his rampant alcoholism?” I said. “Because D really doesn’t need any help in that department. Unless of course you’re trying to derail the D-train for next year.”

Sidney shrugged. “We don’t even know what’s going to happen next year Drew. If there is a season next year at all.”

“There’ll be a season.” I said dismissively. “The NHL will not survive a two year standoff. They’ll settle things before the summer is out.”

I could almost see Sidney shrug. “I don’t know Drew. My agent seems to think that I need to look at Europe as a viable option.”

I shook my head in disgust. “So you’ll take a job away from someone?” I demanded. “I mean, there are guys from Europe who make their living over there… and there are guys from here who take their families and move over there and then guys like you go over and take jobs.”

Sidney sighed. “It’s just an option that Pat’s talking about Drew. Don’t get all upset about it.”

“I don’t like it.” I grumbled.

Sidney sighed again. “I know you don’t Drew, but Pat is only looking out for my best interests.”

“Because it’s all about you.” I muttered. “Don’t worry Sidney, I haven’t forgotten.”

“Drew….” Sidney said with an exasperated sigh. “I don’t want to fight with you about this.”

“I don’t want you to go to Europe.” I snapped. “I just don’t okay?”

Sidney sighed, softly this time. “It’s not like I want to go to Europe Drew.” Sidney pointed out. “I mean, I’d like to go to Europe, but not to play there. I want to play in the NHL.”

“Even that could suck.” I pointed out. “I mean, what if like, Tampa Bay gets the first pick? That would mean you’re totally far away.”

“Or I could end up in Edmonton or Calgary.” Sidney pointed out. “And I’d be right there whenever you needed me.”

I sighed. “I’m sorry Sidney.” I whispered. “I know that you’re focused on winning the President’s Trophy right now. I just… I worry about next year.”

“Come with me then Drew.” He said. “Quit your job and come with me.”

I shook my head, even though he couldn’t see me. “I couldn’t do that Sidney. I mean, what if things don’t work out between us? Then I’m left and I’ve got no job.”

“I’ll take care of you either way Drew.” Sidney said pointedly. “But I want you with me next year. I’m going to need you.”

“It’s hard to be the single phenom with your girlfriend living in town.” I said pointedly. “And I know Pat wants you to be single.”

Sidney snorted. “It’s not like we can’t keep things quiet Drew. I’ve done a damn good job of keeping anything I’ve had here in Rimouski quiet. I’m sure I can do it in a huge NHL city.”

I shrugged. “I guess.” I said. “I just don’t like the idea of being something that you need to keep quiet.” I told him. “I mean I understand and all Sid. I just don’t really like it. If that’s how it’s going to be, I might as well stay in Red Deer, where at least I’ve got something of my own.”

Sidney sighed again. We’d had this conversation several times since we’d said goodbye in the Winnipeg airport and it always had the same results. Sidney wanted me to blindly place my trust in him and go off with him to wherever he went next year and I wanted some kind of assurance that I wouldn’t have to be dependent on him.

I sighed. Now we were not talking to each other. “Look Sidney I’m sorry honey. You’ve got bigger things to worry about right now. You played well tonight and I’m sure that you’ll play even better tomorrow night.”

“You and Dion are going to watch again right?” He asked.

“Of course. And then we’re both going to go get fucked up.” I paused and yelled, since D had left the room. “If D-fense is able to go two nights in a row that is.”

“I’ll be fine!” Dion yelled back. “This is the last one I swear.”

I snorted. “Yeah right.” I said to Sidney. “Either way honey, we will be watching and we’ll be cheering you on.”

“Good.” Sidney said, and I could see the slow grin spreading across his face. “Because it gives me a little added motivation to show off for you.”

I rolled my eyes. “You don’t have to show off for me Sidney.” I told him. “Just go out and play your game. We both know that you’ll be fine.”

“I miss you Drew.” He said after a few moments of silence. “I wish you were here.”

I smiled. “I wish you were here.” I countered.

“If I was there then my season would be done.” Sidney pointed out.

“Or, if you were here, playing for the Rebels, they’d still be in the thick of things.” I told him.

Sidney chuckled. “You have so much faith in me.”

I snorted. “It’s not like you don’t have faith in yourself there Crosby.” I pointed out. “I just want you to succeed and I want to let you know that I do believe in you. Not that you necessarily need to hear it.”

“I like hearing it.” Sidney said simply. “How are things with you?” Sidney asked. “Not too busy?”

I shrugged. “I keep pretty busy, but this is my second year, so I have a better handle on things this year then I did last year at this time.” I said.

“It was tough last year?” Sidney asked, genuinely sounding interested.

“Very.” I said. “When you’re trying to plan and mark and do extra-cur stuff it gets a little overwhelming.”

“But you’re sure you’re going to be able to come out for the Memorial Cup?” Sidney asked.

“I already have the leave approved honey.” I told him with a smile. “I had to do some fast talking, and you’re going to have to sign a picture or something for my principal, but I got the leave.”

“I don’t know….” Sidney said slowly. “My autograph is fairly valuable….” He teased me.

I shrugged. “Well I can stay out here with D… I’m sure Getter will be up for a good time in Calgary, maybe we can even get Fraz, Brook, and the rest of the Alberta boys to Calgary for the weekend. It could be a lot of fun, just me and all those boys….” I teased him back.

“Or you could come hang out in London with me.” Sidney pointed out. “And then I’ll sign something for your principal.”

I giggled. “Honestly Sid, much as I love partying with the boys, I’d far rather be with you honey.”

“Good.” He said in a husky voice that I found to be incredibly sexy. “Because I would really hate to have to destroy a bunch of good ‘ole Dub boys.”

I snorted. “Honey you know I love you, but you’re a scoring phenom. You couldn’t destroy that many Dub boys even in your wildest dreams. We grow ‘em tough out west.”

“Are you saying that I’m not tough enough for the Dub?” Sidney said in a teasing voice.

You see, its an ongoing debate – whether or not he’d dominate in the Dub the same way he has in the Q. I giggled. “No.” I told him. “I’m simply saying that there’s no way that you could destroy seven Dub boys is all.”

“Well then, I’ll just have to embarrass them on the ice.” Sidney said, and I could see him shrugging nonchalantly. “And off the ice by stealing the best thing to come out of Alberta since beef.”

“And what exactly is that?” I asked, knowing full well what the reply was going to be.

“Dion.” Sidney said, with a laugh. “You of course Drew… you.”

No comments: