Sunday, April 27, 2008

Chapter 14 - Some Kind of Wonderful

The next day, I was at work when the news came. The deal was done. The NHL and the PA had agreed (in principle at least) on a new collective bargaining agreement. I learned, not because we were listening to the radio, but because Sidney burst into the community centre and ran over, an excited happy grin on his face.

Catching me up in his arms he hugged me tight. “The deal is done Dare!” He said, his mouth inches from mine.

I knew he wanted to kiss me, but I couldn’t let that happen. Not in front of the kids. I buried my face in his neck. “Congratulations Crosby.” I whispered softly. “Now its just a matter of time before you know where you’re going to be next year.”

“And I don’t have to go to Europe.” He replied, his voice low as he slid me down his body, setting me on my feet. “I don’t have to go so far away from you Dare….” He murmured, lowering his face to mine.

I was about to push him away… really I was. “Darryl!” I heard a voice call sharply. “My office NOW!”

Erin smirked as I walked past her on the way to Mrs. Anderson’s office. I glared at her and snapped. “Jealous much? It’s not like he came here to see you honey. And getting me in trouble isn’t exactly going to put you back on his depth chart. I’m number one on there right now honey, and you can’t take that away.”

“Now Darryl!” Mrs. Anderson snapped. To my surprise, Sidney tried to come with me. “Just her.” Mrs. Anderson said at the door. “You can wait outside Sidney.”

“This is my fault Mrs. Anderson.” Sidney said, his best polite smile on his face. “I was excited.”

“And Darryl should have told you that it could wait. Instead what kind of example did you set?” Mrs. Anderson demanded.

I shrugged. “At least I’m not a tattletale.” I said, thinking about Erin. “Look Mrs. Anderson, I’m sorry. It’s not like I was going to let him kiss me. He knows full well he has to sneak up on me.”

Sidney and grinned at each other, but Mrs. Anderson didn’t seem to share our amusement. “Darryl you need to know that that kind of behaviour is unacceptable in the work place.” She said, shaking her head, disappointed. “I’m going to have to write you up for this. And we had such high hopes for you. This definitely won’t be acceptable at your school in the fall.”

I shrugged. “Mrs. Anderson, you seem to not want to see my side. Could it have something to do with the fact that Erin has been coming to this centre since she was a little girl?” I asked politely. “I know from the look on her face that she went running for you the minute Sidney hugged me instead of her.”

“What exactly are you saying Darryl?” She demanded, her face turning red, her voice shaking.

“That you favour Erin. She’s always in here talking to you.” I pointed out. “Even when the rest of us are hard at work. Even when the rest of us have too much to do.”

“What are you implying?” She demanded, her face beat red now.

“I’m not implying anything Mrs. Anderson. I’m flat out saying it. Or at least I thought I was.” I turned to Sid for conformation and he nodded. I shook my head. “Your agent still have that assistant position available Crosby?” I asked.

“Yeah.” He said nodding, a wicked grin spreading across his face.

“Well then Mrs. Anderson, consider this my two weeks notice. I’ll have it to you in writing by the end of the day.” I said with a smile.

“But you can’t just quit on us in the middle of the summer.” Mrs. Anderson said plaintively. “We need you.”

I shrugged. “I’ve really enjoyed my time here Mrs. Anderson.” I said with a pleasant smile and a wink at Sidney. “Its just I’ve recently received a much better offer from another employer and I feel that it would be in my best interest to accept the position. I hope you’ll understand. The kids are great, and the staff is great.”

“Well then…” Mrs. Anderson said, her face still red, realizing that I was giving both of us the chance to save face. “I suppose that we’re just going to have to let you go. But you only need to give us a week dear. You haven’t been working with us that long.”

I nodded. “That’s fine with me. Sid, could you type up a letter of resignation for me if I told you what to write and then bring it back for me to sign?”

“Sure.” He said nodding. “Just call me at lunch and give me the details.”

“You know, Darryl, we should be able to find someone to take your place this weekend.” Mrs. Anderson said. “So why don’t we have Friday as your last day?”

“Works for me.” I said, reaching across the desk to shake her hand. “Thank you very much for all of your support.”

I glanced at Sid. It was nearly lunch. “Want to stick around for a bit, then we take Taylor to McDonalds for lunch in celebration? It would be a treat for the kids, wouldn’t it Mrs. Anderson, to have Sidney here?”

“Yes, I suppose it would be.” She grudgingly admitted.

So Sidney stuck around that day. We had a great time. I even got him to cheerleading and dance class (which was HILARIOUS in case you’re wondering, the boy can move on skates, but that’s about it). The kids enjoyed themselves, and Sidney signed some autographs and some parents even came with cameras and took a few pictures.

That Friday night, I was over at the Crosby house for dinner to celebrate the end of my time at the rec centre… Taylor had announced that she would not be going back without me there, which, needless to say, made me feel pretty darn special. We had a great meal together.

It was amazing how comfortable they made me feel. I didn’t feel like an outsider at all. After dinner, when Sidney and I were sitting on the couch in the living room, watching a movie, sitting very close to each other (probably too close to each other), when Troy and Trina entered the room carrying two glasses of champagne each.

“Here.” He said, handing us both a glass of champagne. “To new friendships and new beginnings.” He toasted.

“Cheers.” Trina and Sidney said, downing their glasses.

I glanced at Sidney awkwardly. Technically I shouldn’t drink around him. He was a minor. But there were several things I’d been doing with him that I shouldn’t have been doing. “Just drink it.” Troy said, seeing that I was hesitating.

I raised my glass. “Cheers.” I said before I downed my glass.

Sidney wrapped an arm around my shoulders and pulled me close for just a second, dropping a quick kiss on the top of my head as he did so. “So do you know what’s going on with the draft yet?” I asked.

Sidney shook his head in disgust. “Probably a conference call.” He said, sounding really upset.

“I’m sorry.” I said quietly, placing a hand on his arm. “You deserve the chance to get up on stage and put on that jersey for the first time.”

“Thanks Dare.” He said, kissing me softly on the forehead.

“Why don’t you two go out for a little while?” Trina suggested, smiling at us. “You two have better things to do then hang out with us all night I’m sure.”

I shrugged, and looked at Sidney. “Can we actually go anywhere?” I asked curiously. “In public I mean?” I knew that no matter how badly I wanted to be alone with him, it totally wasn’t a good idea. I just wasn’t sure that he could actually go out in public without, like a bodyguard or something.

Sidney shrugged. “We can if you want.” He told me. “But it is kind of hard though. You’ll have to share me with people who want autographs and to ask me about the draft and the deal and stuff, and I can’t promise not to act like an idiot Dare.” He added the last part with a grin.

I shook my head. “Well then let’s go.” I said standing. “See you later Taylor.” I said ruffling her hair. “Bye Trina, bye Troy.”

“Bye guys.” Troy replied, with a smile at his wife. “Don’t be too late Sidney.”

“I won’t be Dad.” Sidney replied, holding the front door open for me.

The minute we were outside the house Sidney caught my hand in his and used it to pull me into the shadows… and into his arms. His body pressed up against mine, his lips so close to mine I could smell the mint on his breath. “God Dare, I’ve wanted to do this all day.” He mumbled as his mouth closed over mine.

His hand cupped the back of my head, loosening my hair, which had been in a ponytail most of the day. His mouth was greedy and demanding and I loved every second of what he was doing to me. My hands slid slowly up his well-muscled chest. He felt so damned good… and twined around his neck. “We shouldn’t be doing this.” I mumbled when we finally came up for air.

“Well maybe not here….” Sidney said with an impish grin. “At least not much longer, because if this goes on much longer I am going to start taking off your clothes.”

I pulled away and rolled my eyes. “Let’s go.” I said.

“So where are we going Dare?” Sidney asked pointedly.

“To a movie.” I replied.

Gentlemanly as always, even in defeat, Sid held the door to the truck open for me. “You’re no fun Dare.” He muttered. “We were having a great time. We could continue it at your place.”

I leaned forward and kissed him softly on the cheek. “Now Crosby I think we’re both smart enough to know that as much fun as that might be, it is simply not a good idea honey.”

His hand reached up and his thumb gently stroked my cheek. “I know.” He whispered softly, leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on my forehead. “I just want to hold you.”

“But we both know that holding is going to lead to something more Crosby.” I whispered my voice strangely hoarse.

“Please?” He replied looking up at me with little boy style puppy dog eyes.

I leaned forward and did something I hadn’t done before, kissing him softly on the lips. “Soon honey.” I whispered, looking deeply into his eyes. “Soon.”

No comments: