Monday, April 28, 2008

The Girl Next Door Chapter 60

The next few weeks went by quickly for Kate. A week after her graduation, Neal graduated and moved back home temporarily. Allison also went home to Philadelphia, but just to pack up everything before starting her job at an advertising agency in Pittsburgh. Neal was starting his job with the Pittsburgh Steelers at the beginning of July, so he and Allison were going hunting for an apartment almost immediately after graduation. They found a place two weeks after graduation, and moved in before starting their jobs.
Kate was busy with work in June because there were a lot of hockey camps, but she was talking to Sidney all the time and she couldn’t wait for him to come back at the end of the month. A lot of the team was coming back to play in Mario’s golf invitational, and when everyone came back, it was like they had never left. They were hanging out every night, mainly at Sidney’s. Even though Kate and Sidney were spending a lot of time with the team, they still found time to spend together, just the two of them.
“This week has been so much fun,” Kate said while they were in her pool late one afternoon. “I wish you didn’t have to go back home tomorrow.”
“I wish I could stay too, but I have a ton to do at home.”
“I know, but I’ll still miss you.”
“Why don’t you come up to visit? You have to see Cole Harbour, it’s amazing.”
Kate thought for a second, and then replied, “I’m going up to Minnesota next week to see my relatives, and I’ll be gone for over two weeks. I don’t know if I can. But I really want to, and I’ll think about it.”
“That’s cool, whatever you want. I know you have to get stuff ready for school too.”
Kate gave him a kiss, and as they kissed, she wrapped her legs around Sidney’s waist as he moved her up against the wall of the pool.
“Um yeah, you know we’re here now right?” Neal said a couple of minutes after Kate and Sidney had begun to kiss.
They broke apart quickly, Kate’s face turning beet red. “Um, know I do,” she said. “Thanks.”
“Mind if we join you two?” Allison asked.
“Not at all,” they replied as Allison jumped into the pool on the hot day.
The four of them swam around for awhile, talking, laughing, and having cannonball contests off the diving board. Since Kate’s parents were out for the night at a party, they grilled dinner and had a great time. Eventually though, it was time for Sidney to go, since he had an early flight home.
“Well, I’ll see you soon,” Sidney said as he held Kate’s hand. “I love you.”
“Love you too,” Kate replied.
They kissed, but not for too long. They ended their kiss in a hug, and then Sidney walked away, looking back at Kate and smiling before he walked into his driveway.
*****
While Kate was at work the next day, she got a text from Sidney, telling her that he made it home. Kate smiled, and her manager (who was twenty-three and not having a whole lot of luck finding a real job) saw her. He walked over and knelt down, putting his elbows on the counter, resting his head in his hands.
“So, am I the only person that knows?” Chris asked.
“Knows what?” Kate asked back.
“That you’re dating Sidney Crosby?”
Kate laughed and replied, “No, you’re not the only one. My family knows, his family knows, the team knows, but only a couple of my friends know. We’re trying to keep it quiet.”
“Well, you’ve been doing a good job. I didn’t figure it out until last month.”
“Yeah, well, we figured you wouldn’t tell, so you were okay,” Kate laughed.
“How long?”
“Almost nine months.”
“Wow.”
“Yeah, but please don’t tell anyone.”
“I promise I won’t tell a soul,” he promised, crossing his heart and laughing.

No comments: