Thursday, April 24, 2008

Chapter 33 - How I Spent My Summer Vacation

The next day I met with Sidney and his family for lunch. It was kind of weird to me. After only 2 months Sidney’s family was already treating me like one of their own. I’d dated Coby for eight months and his parents never even let me call them by their first names, or invited me to spend any time at their home. When I was there, they almost treated me as some kind of parasite who was dragging their son down.

In fact, for two months of my “relationship” (and trust me Ms. Kulak, knowing what I know now I use the term EXTREMELY lightly) I was outside Fort McMurray on my Grandparents Ranch. His parents never would have considered inviting me to spend any time at their home over the summer, yet Trina hadn’t hesitated.

Lunch itself was not a particularly pleasant event for me. I mean, I made it through it without too much trouble and by drinking a ton of water, and having downed several Advil before I even bothered going. However that did not mean that I didn’t feel like shit when I went home.

After lunch I went home and did some homework before getting dressed and ready to go to the game. It was the 3rd of April and I was praying that the boys would win this series. I needed Sidney to be around. I wasn’t sure what I would do without him at this point, although I knew that the time would come when I would have too. I just didn’t want that to be now.

Michelle, Bianca and I met, as always, before the game. This time Mich was driving, so I had a couple of drinks before we headed out. Not that I wanted to be drunk in front of Sidney’s parents or anything, but I was still a little hung over from the night before and nothing makes you feel better then a drink when you feel like that.

And trust me, after Sidney had teased me as much as he possibly could in the hopes of luring me into bed with him the night before, I’d gone out and gotten really, really, really drunk. It didn’t really help me, but it had seemed like a good idea at the time.

Around 6:30, we were already in our seats. The boys were so focused it was cute. Sidney and Danny didn’t even look at us, they were so focused on the game and what was going to be happening on the ice. I smiled as I watched Sidney warm up. After the guys went to the locker room, I stood. “I’m going to go see Trina and Troy.” I announced standing. “I’ll be back for puck drop.”

I didn’t really pay attention to what Mich and B said in return. I wandered up to where the Crosby’s were sitting. “Nickie!” Taylor called, welcoming me.

“Hey Tay.” I said, giving her the quick hug that she seemed to expect. “What did you do this afternoon?”

She made a face. “We stayed at the hotel ‘cause Daddy had to talk to Sidney’s agent.”

“Well if it makes you feel better I spent the afternoon studying.” I told her. “That wasn’t particularly fun either.”

Troy raised his eyebrows at me with a conspiratory grin. “Lunch didn’t look to be particularly fun for you either Nicole.” He said with a chuckle.

I shrugged. “Yeah well, I’m not used to getting out of bed before late afternoon on weekends.” I paused. “Actually I’m not used to getting out of bed before 11 am period.” I said with a grin.

“Do you know what your parents plans are for you in the fall?” Trina asked.

I shrugged again. “I haven’t talked to either of my parents since Sidney and I talked to my Dad when we came back from Cole Harbour.” I told them. “So I have no clue what’s going on at home.”

“Sidney says that you want him to come visit at the end of the season though.” She said. “Can you do that without talking to your parents?”

“Oh for sure.” I told her confidently. “I’ll call Dad’s secretary and she’ll let them know.” I didn’t mention that Dad’s secretary was also his girlfriend. They didn’t need to know that right now. “As for my Mom she probably won’t be around much… she likes to go to the cabin in BC a lot starting in May, so she won’t care.”

“So it will just be the two of you?” Trina asked, looking concerned.

I shrugged. “Dad will be around most nights, and our housekeeper will be there during the day. The yard guys will be around too.” I said. “Plus I haven’t seen my friends since Christmas, so I’m going to want to see friends a lot, and go into Calgary and stuff. Plus we’ll probably only be there for a weekend.”

“I suppose that would be alright.” She said slowly.

“Of course they’ll be fine Trina.” Troy said with a smile and a wink at me. “Nicole and Sidney manage just fine here too, and we can’t exactly say that Nicole’s Great-Aunt is a very, umm, responsible adult authority figure.”

I could tell that Troy was trying really hard not to offend me with his comment about Tante Amèlie. But he didn’t have to worry at all, I wasn’t in the least offended by what he said. In fact, it was part of why Mark and I liked living with her so much. I giggled. “Totally Mr. Crosby… I mean Troy.” I corrected myself as I chuckled to myself. “That’s why Mark and I enjoy living with her so much.” I paused. “Well that’s why Mark likes living with her so much, she’s actually kind of like my parents.”

Trina shook her head. “I’m not sure I understand how you can be so cavalier about it Nickie.” She said. “It just amazes me that you are the good, kind, sweet person that you are, in spite of your parents.”

I shrugged. “They weren’t always like this Trina.” I reminded her again. “It wasn’t until I was ten, so it was only six years ago that they became like this… by then I’d learned a lot of the things I needed to be who I am.” I paused. “Besides, I wouldn’t be who I am without the last six years of my life.”

She smiled at that. “You’re right about that Nicole.” She said. “I just feel bad that any child has to live like that.”

I shrugged. “I’ve got everything I could ever want or need.” I pointed out. “There are a lot of kids who are far worse off then I am.” I paused, deciding to change the subject. “So what do you think kiddo? We going up 2-0 tonight?” I asked the little girl who had been listening closely.

“Yep.” She said with a determined nod of the head. “We’re the best.”

I grinned at her and gave her a quick hug. “I should go back to Mich and B.” I said. “They’re going to send a search party for me if I’m not back in time for puck drop. I’ll come and meet you guys after the game.”

“See you then Nickie.” Troy said with a smile, as he turned away from one of the other boys’ parents that he’d been talking to. “You and your friends enjoy yourselves.”

“Always Troy.” I said with a quick smile. “This is a fun team to watch. I’ve got to admit, after years of watching ‘Dub style hockey, where the D is so tight, run and gun definitely has some appeal.”

“I don’t know….” Troy said with a grin. I’d learned pretty quickly that Troy appreciated my knowledge of hockey. “Sometimes I wish that these boys would tighten up their D… if only to give my heart a break.”

I laughed as I headed back to my seats, where B and Mich were talking about something rapidly in French as always. They continued talking until the puck dropped before we all got really into the game. Well actually, I shouldn’t say that. Mich and I got into the game – that’s what happens when you’re boyfriend is on the team. You are seriously into every single play when they are on the ice. Danny is a bit more of a grinder then Sid is, so when Sid takes a dirty hit or whatever I wince or cringe or both. Michelle is a little more stoic about it when Danny takes a hit.

Of course Danny does not have guys whacking at him every chance they get. Danny does not come home from road trips with his wrists covered in bruises from all the slashes he takes despite the extra padding he wears. Danny does not come home with his lower back one big bruise from taking constant crosschecks to the lower back. That is what happens to my boy constantly and I know that it bothers his parents and I more then it bothers him.

The game was pretty much all Rimouski. Marc-Antoine scored short-handed in the first, then Sid, then Mark got one, before Sid added two more, including an unassisted short-handed goal in the 2nd. My phenom got his first hat trick of the playoffs (that’s 3 goals in a game for those of you are not as hockey savvy as the rest of us) to lead the Nics to a 5-1 victory and a 2-0 series lead. The series was now going to shift to Shawinigan on Tuesday. The boys were going up on Monday, but tonight, we were going to hang out at my place.

I headed up with Mich and B to see the Crosby’s and wander down to the locker room with them to see Sid. Danny’s parents were there too, and it had been Mich’s turn to be a nervous wreck over meeting her boy’s parents. Fortunately for her, they adored her immediately. She chatted with them as I listened to Taylor tell me all her favourite things about Sidney’s goals.

We headed downstairs to the locker room where Sidney wasn’t nearly done with the press. Of course, I expected that. A hat trick for a 16-year-old in the Q league playoffs was not exactly a usual thing. That meant that more people wanted his time. I knew that I was going to be going to Shawinigan… it was like a five and a half hour drive from Rimouski, but Mich and B would be coming with me, and we had a hotel room for the night on Tuesday. Like the guys, we’d drive back Wednesday night after the game.

I stood around and talked to Cèdrick, the back up goalie, and B for a few minutes while I waited. Cèdrick was good for talking to. As the back up, he didn’t exactly spend a ton of time on the ice or talking to reporters, which meant he was always available when I was waiting for Sidney.

“Hey brat.” Sid said coming up and giving me a quick kiss. “We going to you’re place tonight?” He asked.

“Of course.” I said, brushing a piece of hair out of his face. “Toi aussi Cèdrick.” I said pointedly. “I expect to see you there.”

He laughed. “Je serai la.” He said with a wink.

“Good.” I said, as I turned and really hugged Sidney. “I think we’re both going to need a shower first though.” I said, realizing what I’d done.

Sid laughed. “Well we can do that together…” He said slowly.

I shook my head. “No way phenom. Not until the series is over.” I told him firmly.

“You’re no fun.” He replied, turning around and pulling his jersey off.

I just stuck my tongue out at him and made my way out of the locker room with Mich and B. “I’ll see you at my place in a hour or so phenom.” I said with a wink.

Michelle, Bianca and I headed over to my place. There wasn’t going to be a lot of drinking going on tonight, the guys still had two more games to play, but I made sure to have a case of beer for Mark and Sidney to share, along with so wine coolers for us girls. We sat around sipping our drinks and watching some cheesy reality TV as we waited for the boys to show.

It didn’t take long for Mark to show up. He headed downstairs to have a shower and then fell on his beer like he hadn’t had a drink in months (it had only been a couple of weeks). “Beer. Thank God.” He kissed me on the cheek. “Thanks doucette.”

“You’re an idiot Tobin.” I said. “But I love you anyway.”

“So are you guys coming with Nick, Sid and I when we go to Alberta?” He asked B and Michelle.

“Alberta? You are going to Alberta?” Michelle asked.

“You mean doucette didn’t tell you?” He asked. “She, Sid and I are going to go to Airdrie for a weekend after the playoffs and the NHL Combine and all.”

“Oh yeah, you have to go to that don’t you?” I said. “Actually I hadn’t even thought of asking B and Mich to come. You guys can if you want. Bring Danny and Marc-André… I’ll make Dad charter a flight. It’ll be fun.”

“I’ll talk to Danny.” Michelle said with her trademark shrug that said she didn’t really care one way or the other. “You will throw a party yes?”

“Clearly.” I said, rolling my eyes. “I couldn’t NOT throw a party. I’ve already told Dion and Getter that they better be there. Although I am still holding out some hope that my so-called friends back home will throw a party FOR me.” I paused and grinned. “Well if not for me, then at least for the phenom.”

“Have you talked to any of them?” B asked. “At all?”

“Getter and I keep in touch, and one of my girls emails me from time to time. Other than that, everything is pretty quiet. I have a feeling that my Mom is doing someone new, and no one wants to be the one to break the news to me.”

Everyone looked kind of embarrassed. “Sorry guys.” I said. “I forget that not everyone’s Mom likes fuck members of the local pro teams. My bad.”

Everyone chuckled to cover his or her discomfort and I sat there playing with the label on my cooler. I wanted people to understand my family. That’s why I talked about it so freely. I understood it was messed up, but still. I sighed as more people arrived. This night could go one of two ways, and I was hoping and praying that Sidney would get here soon. If anyone could ease the tension it would be him.

No comments: