Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Chapter 27 - How I Spent My Summer Vacation

The next night, Sidney came closer to breaking yet another record. With two assists in the first, Sidney tied the QMJHL record for most assists in a season by a 16-year-old with 79 on the year. With one game left against the lowly Acadie-Bathrust, we all knew that he’d be able to break the record, it was just a matter of time. Sid hadn’t spent the entire night at my place the night before… instead, when we’d woken up around 4:30 he’d gotten dressed and gone home. As far as I knew, his parents hadn’t said a word.

I sat with Michelle and B during the game… Catrine and Claire and their little clique had completely blacklisted B for hanging out with me… Michelle had been blacklisted since we’d done those body shots back in January. Not that I really think it mattered that much to either of them. I mean, Michelle knew how much fun I was, and B was hurt that they hadn’t cared when she was so upset the other night at Marc-Antoine’s. It had only been a couple of months, but it honestly seemed like years. Time had passed so quickly.

After the game, a Friday night affair, we headed back to wait for the boys. To my surprise, Sidney was the first guy out of the locker room. “Hey phenom.” I said with a surprised smile.
He gave me a quick kiss and then said to B. “Do you still want to meet Marc-André?” He asked.

She nodded. “Oui.”

“Well then we need to hurry.” He said. “They play Acadie-Bathrust tomorrow, so they’re leaving as soon as everyone’s ready to go.”

“Well if I will make him late….” B said, looking uncertain.

“Come on B… they’re leading they’re division and are probably going to win it.” I pointed out. “He’s going to have some time off during the first round, not a ton, but still. Besides.” I added glancing at Sidney. “I’d like to meet the goalie who fell apart in the biggest game of his life.”

“Don’t mention it to Marc.” Sidney warned me with a grin, knowing that I was totally teasing, squeezing my hand.

“Only if you don’t.” I replied.

We headed towards the visitor dressing room, where, to the surprise of both B and I, Marc-André was waiting, apparently for us. He and Sidney shook hands. “Tough one.” Sid said.
Marc-André shook his head. “C’était horrible.”

Sidney shrugged, clearly unsure of what to say, after all, off the ice, they were friends.
“Marc-André je veut te presenté ma chum Nickie.” He said, drawing me forward. “Nickie, this is Marc-André.”

“Nice to meet you.” I said with a smile, shaking the offered hand.

“My pleasure.” He said smiling at me briefly before looking at B. “C’est qui ca Sidney?”

Sid winked at me before he said. “Marc-André je vous presente Bianca Giancarlo. B, je vous presente Marc-André Fleury.”

If B hadn’t been so darn nervous I would have had to laugh. Marc looked EXTREMELY interested. I mean, I may not have liked her that much, but B was and still is, gorgeous. “C’est une pleasire.” B said, smiling, shaking his hand.

“La pleasire c’est le mien Bianca.” Marc-André said.

I turned to I leaned into Sidney sexily. His hand was on the small of my back as I leaned up and kissed him with a slow passion. “Phenom you have got to be the best guy I have ever met.” I told him softly.

He shrugged. “Well if hooking one of my former pucks up with a guy who might actually treat her right is going to get me rewarded like that, I may have to do this more often.” I stuck my tongue out at him before he kissed me firmly. Leaving me breathless he let me go. “What’s in your flask tonight?” He asked.

I grinned. “Jamaican rum.” I said, reaching into my purse for it. “You want?”

“I wouldn’t have asked if I didn’t want.” He said, taking a quick swig.

“So what’s the deal phenom?” I asked brushing my breasts up against his arm. “Are your parents ever going to leave?”

“After the next game. Like immediately.” Sidney said, wrapping his arms tightly around my waist.

“Good.” I said kissing his nose.

“You are a goof.” He replied smiling indulgently down at me.

I shrugged. B and Marc-André were still talking rapidly in French. Sidney probably had some clue as to what they were talking about, but I was completely lost. “What are they talking about?” I asked.

“They’re making fun of me.” He said with a good natured chuckle. “Bianca’s telling him a story about one of my first parties here in Rimouski.”

I elbowed him in the side. “And why haven’t I heard this story?” I asked with a sly grin.

Sidney blushed immediately. “Because I don’t want anyone to hear about it ever again. Particularly you.” He added.

“Awe come on….” I cajoled him. “I want to know….” I said. “I mean, you know ALL about my first night in Rimouski… and that wasn’t exactly my crowning moment.”

Sidney laughed at the memory of the stories he’d heard. “True.” He said smiling as he leaned down to whisper in my ear. “Maybe if you’re very, very bad I’ll tell you.”

“What if I’m very, very good?” I replied batting my eyelashes up at him innocently.

Sid laughed. “Is that even possible brat?”

I shrugged with a grin. “No, probably not.” I admitted.

“Good.” He whispered sexily in my ear. “Because I love you just the way you are.”

“Hey B.” I said. “Sid and I are going to bail.”

“I do not have a ride though.” She said.

“Here.” I tossed her my keys. “Take my car and leave the keys in the gas cap. Sid and I will swing by later to get it.”

“Tu es certain?” She asked, her eyes wide with surprise.

“Of course.” I said winking at her. “Have fun.”

*

Two days later, on a Sunday afternoon, Sid did in fact break the record for the most assists in a season with a grand total of 81. He also scored 54 goals making him the leading scorer in the QMJHL regular season, with a total of 135 points. He told me he was going to get the Jean Beliveau Trophy for that and he would probably (insert an eye roll here Ms. Kulak… I mean, who on earth was he trying to fool? Of course he was going to win this one) be the Rookie of the Year. He knew he’d make the All-Rookie Team for sure.

The awards were going to be presented at an Awards Gala or something later on, and he asked me to go with him of course. Personally I knew full well he was going to win a ton of awards. He tried to tell me that he wasn’t so sure, but then he’d smile that little smile of his, and I’d know that he was just saying that.

He didn’t want to jinx himself, but he knew deep down that he was going to win a lot. But I didn’t press him. Sometimes with Sid, I’d learned that you just had to let things go. This just happened to be one of them.

Since the Ocèanic had managed to win their division they were going to get a bye through the first round of the playoffs. It meant that we had at least two weeks to ourselves before his parents were back. We were planning to go spend the next weekend in Cole Harbour since the Coach had already told the guys that he’d be giving them that weekend off.

Most of the guys were planning on going home for the next weekend… even Mark. So Sidney and I were going to hop in my car and drive to Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia. For a girl who’d never been farther east in Canada then Toronto before this year I was certainly going to see a lot of Eastern Canada in the next little while.

Sidney had told me that I absolutely, positively HAD to be on the bus of Rimouski fans during the quarterfinals no matter which team they were playing against. I agreed. It wasn’t like I was going to have school the next day or anything. Plus this would be the only time I would ever get to be on the road with Sid. At least until he was in the NHL.

“Nickie you coming?” Sidney asked me as he headed out to the parking lot.

“Yeah sorry.” I said with a smile.

The game may have been a Sunday afternoon affair but the plan was for a huge group of us, including Sidney’s parents, to go out for supper and then back to Sid and Eric’s for a huge party. My Daddy’s money had provided most of the booze, and we were going to have a good time. “No worries.” He said, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. “I’m glad that you wore a skirt.” He said.

I shrugged and grinned. “I couldn’t let you keep breaking records without getting to see a little skin.” I paused. “Did Eric and the boys get the keg to your place alright?” I asked.

He looked around as if he were expecting his parents to be right there. “Yeah, Eric said he put it in a garbage can full of snow in the back porch.”

“Perfect.” I said with a grin, squeezing his thigh gently.

He smiled down at me, winking. “We’re going to have FUN tonight.” He said.

“Now that phenom….” I said as I laughed. “I am going to see to it that that’s the understatement of the century.”

*

After supper Sidney and I said goodbye to his parents fingers entwined as we waved them off. “Well?” I said to Sidney. “Ready to celebrate?”

He grinned at me. He was already slightly cut, having had a few beers with dinner and having snuck more then a few swigs of gin from my flask. “Damn fucking straight.” He said kissing me fiercely.

“Something tells me your mind is totally on the fucking part.” I said giggling.

He smacked my ass playfully as he held the front door of my car open for me. “Damn fucking straight brat.” He said.

I laughed. “Well then, come on let’s go.” I said, cranking the stereo. Bad Boy by Ma$e blared from the speakers.

Sidney laughed again. “You have the weirdest taste in music brat.” He announced.

I shrugged. “Personally I find it rather appropriate for tonight.” I said. “But I can change it if you like.”

“Nah…” He said, leaning back in his seat, taking a swig from my flask. “You’re right. It is good for tonight.”

I drove as quickly as I could from the restaurant to Sid and Erics’s place. My Dad’s money bought all the liquor for the night for everyone. I didn’t want Sidney and I to miss it. (And it’s not like he doesn’t know about it Ms. Kulak. I put it on my Visa. So Daddy’s well aware of what I spent 600 dollars on.) “Bad, bad, bad boy, I wouldn’t change if I could.” I sang my right hand wandering teasingly up the inside of his leg. “I wouldn’t change you if I could.”

“Nickie if you don’t stop that we’re going to miss the entire party.” Sidney groaned.

I grinned. “You know you make me feel so good, you know you make feel so good.” I sang tormenting him further.

“You’re a bitch Nicole.” He told me.

“And you love me that way.” I replied grinning as I pulled up to his house. “Now come on phenom. Let’s celebrate the fact that you’re the best 16-year-old to ever play in this league.”

No comments: