Sunday, April 27, 2008

Chapter 24 - Some Kind of Wonderful

As it turns out, I was in fact right (just in case anyone is like, you know, keeping score or something) Sidney was in the dressing room talking to the press for about an hour. Catrine talked at me every now and then, but I mainly attempted to blend into the walls.

It was really a talent at this point. I had gotten very, very, very good over the course of the summer of blending into the walls. When you work for Pat, its not exactly something that you can avoid learning. You are to be seen and not heard unless he tells you otherwise. It was great practice for this night, when I wanted to be neither seen nor heard until Sidney chose to see or hear me.

When he was finally done, I was still standing out there, trying to blend into the walls, trying to make sure that everyone ignored me. Of course, when he did come out of the room, I’m the first person he saw. His eyes lit with recognition when he looked at me. “Darryl.” He said softly.

I glanced into his eyes. There was recognition there, but nothing more. My heart fell immediately. This was all about breaking up with me. This was all about ending things in person. He didn’t want to talk about fixing our relationship our make things right between us. He had me here to break things off in person, the way a gentleman would.

With a sigh, I smiled tremulously. “Sidney.” I said in a low, small voice.

“I wasn’t sure that you’d come.” He told me, his voice and face uncertain.

“Your parents told me that you wanted me here.” I said with a shrug. “But since you never called, I wasn’t really sure. Then your Dad insisted, so, well I came.”

“I’m glad you did.” He told me, looking at me intently.

I looked back at him. I still wasn’t sure entirely why he wanted me here… or if he wanted me here at here. We stood there for several minutes, starring at each other. I wanted so badly to reach out and touch him, but I had no idea of his intentions. If I reached out to touch him and he rejected me, that would be worse then if he just rejected me.

So I continued to stand there, starring at him as he starred right back at me. We stood there, as people continued to move around us, lost in our own little world. Finally he cleared his throat. “Dare, we need to talk.”

My mouth went dry and my stomach heaved. “I know.” I said quietly, trying hard to swallow the bile that rose in my throat.

My face must have gone white, because Sidney looked concerned all of a sudden. “Are you okay?” He asked anxiously, taking my arm.

I shook his arm off. “I’m okay.” I said quietly.

“You’re white as a sheet babe.” Sidney said softly. “Come on. Let’s go out for dinner and we’ll talk.”

My breath was shallow and I couldn’t seem to calm down. “Talk.” I said in between gulping for air. “Of course.”

Sidney looked concerned, but said nothing. “I don’t have a car yet.” He apologized as he lead us out of Mellon Arena. “So I called a car for us, since I didn’t think you’d want to go with any of the other guys tonight.”

I sighed with relief and finally managed to take a full deep breath. “Thanks Crosby.”

He smiled at my shyly. “Besides, I wanted to have you all to myself for a little while… it’s been too long Dare.”

I smiled back at him shyly. “Yeah it has been a long time.”

“So how’s work?” He asked, as the driver held open the door to a black limousine for us. “Do you like the school?”

“It’s overwhelming at times.” I told him, my voice low. “There is a lot of work to do… I even brought some marking with me this weekend.” I paused. “Umm how is, like hockey?” I asked awkwardly.

Sidney nodded at my answer and then said. “It’s hockey.” He shrugged.

It was my turn to nod. The whole thing was really awkward, as we sat in silence, looking at everything but each other. We sighed at the same time. “Sidney.” I said at the exact same moment he said. “Darryl.”

“You first.” I said, my mouth dry.

“Fuck.” Sidney muttered running his hand through his hair.

He didn’t say anything, so I started. “Why did you want me to come see you play Crosby?” I asked.

Sidney’s eyes met mine, and now, suddenly there was more then recognition there. There was emotion… there was caring. “Because I miss you Dare. I miss talking to you and kissing you and I just… I miss you.” He sighed and continued. “And I didn’t want to leave things between us the way they were after that night.”

I nodded. “I figured you were done with me.” I told him. “I just… well I wasn’t sure where things stood when your parents kept inviting me over, so I let sleeping dogs lie as they say.”

Sidney nodded and reached for my hand. “I’ve missed you babe.” He said, his fingers gently stroking my hand. “I just didn’t… and don’t, know how to fix things between us…..” He trailed off.

I sighed, and reached up to touch him, startled at the electricity that shot through me as my hand made contact with his cheek. I shuddered stroking his cheek gently with my thumb. His cheek was baby’s bottom smooth and it felt completely natural to be touching him like this.

We sat there in the limo, staring at each other, very aware of the contact between our bodies, our knees touching as we leaned closer to each other. Sidney leaned forward and kissed me softly on the forehead. “I’m sorry babe.” He whispered.

“For what?” I asked, in case he thought that an apology was just going to cut it. I needed to know that he knew why he should be sorry for what happened. I needed to know that he’d thought about why I was upset with him, and that he’d figured it out.

“I’m so sorry for leaving you babe.” He whispered softly. “I was so worried about what other people would think if I was late that I didn’t worry about you or your feelings… that was wrong of me.”

I leaned in and kissed him softly on the lips. “That hurt Crosby.” I told him. “I just wanted to be in your arms.” I said. “I just wanted you to be there. When we… did what we did….” I said hesitantly, awkwardly. “It wasn’t just sex for me Sidney. It was so, so much more.”

“It wasn’t just sex for me either Dare.” Sidney said softly, his voice low. “I spent all summer trying to get you.”

“Don’t you mean get into my pants?” I asked, somewhat confused.

“No.” Sidney said seriously, his eyes flashing with caring as they looked at me. “Oh sure, it started out being about getting in your pants Dare… you have to admit that you’re a very desirable woman.” He brushed his knuckles over my face. “The more time I spent with you… if only because I wanted to get in your pants, the more I got to know you. The more I got to know you, the more I wanted to know you.”

A tear trickled down my cheek, followed be another and then another. Sidney reached over and brushed the tears off my cheeks. “Dare, babe, please don’t cry.” He said softly. “I’ve thought about you every day since that night… I’ve wondered about you and worried about you every single day.”

I sniffed slightly. “A day hasn’t passed when I wasn’t worried about you Sidney. When I haven’t worried about us and what’s going on between us.”

He ran his fingers through my hair. “I knew about your issues with sex Dare.” He told me. “And I didn’t do anything to reassure you. I didn’t do anything to make you think that I would be any different from any other guy who, in your words, pumped and dumped. I never intended to that to you. You are better then that.”

“Thank you for understanding that Sidney.” I whispered leaning forward and really kissing him.

His arms wrapped around me and I was pulled onto his lap. I moaned low as the kiss deepened. His hands caressed my back and my body melded against his in that familiar way that made my heart race. It was so comfortable to be back in his arms. I moaned low and pressed myself harder up against him.

I loved the feel of us, together like that. I’d missed his kisses, his taste, his smell, the feel of his hands on me. I’d missed him, period. He mattered to me more then I ever thought that he would when I met him. I loved him.

Realizing that, I pulled away from him. I mean, I’d only known him for two and a half months. I shouldn’t be in love with him… not yet at least. I mean, six months from now, if we were still together, sure. Not now.

“Are you okay babe?” Sidney asked, his fingers still making their way through my hair.

I shook my head. “No.” I said slowly. “I’m not.”

“What’s wrong?” He asked, concern shinning through his eyes.

“I’m about to do something really, really stupid.” I told him softly.

He immediately looked panicked. “You aren’t going to break up with me are you Dare?” He asked. “Because you can’t. Not now, please babe… I need you right now more then I ever
thought that I could need anyone.”

Reaching over, I ran my fingers through his hair. He has the most gorgeous hair I’ve ever seen on a guy… all dark and curly. “No Sidney, but you’ll probably break up with me after you hear what I have to say.”

“There is nothing that you could do that could make me break up with you right now babe… not when I need you so very much.” Sidney said, running his knuckles down my cheek again. “I never thought… when I got to the NHL that I would need someone… anyone as much as I need you right now.”

Taking a deep breath I plunged in. “I love you Crosby.” I whispered, burying my face in his neck. “I love you.”

No comments: