Thursday, April 24, 2008

Chapter 37 - How I Spent My Summer Vacation

In the second period Shawinigan opened up the scoring 1:09 into the period and led 2-1 for about eleven minutes when Zbynek scored from Sid and Dany. Then my Marky scored from Michal Sersen and Marc-Antoine to give us the lead. Sidney then bagged the insurance marker from Dany and Zbynek on the power play about a minute after Mark’s goal.

Shawinigan was able to pull within one early in the third put that was all they managed. Sidney was named the 1st Star, and then Mich, B and I made our way downstairs to the dressing rooms. Troy was standing down there and he waved at me. I waved back and we stood around.

And then we stood around some more. And then we stood around some more. The guys were celebrating slightly (without alcohol of course) the fact that they’d just swept their first round playoff series. Of course, the media vultures were all over the place too so Sidney was pretty busy for awhile and then there were the fans who wanted autographs to contend with.

“Nicole come here.” Troy called through the mob.

“Come on.” I said to Michelle and B and we made our way through the crowd, pushing and elbowing our way through. “What’s up Troy?”

“I made arrangements for Sidney to drive back with you Nicole.” He said. “I talked to the team. Michelle and Bianca, I want you girls to come with me.” He smiled. “We’ll still follow you back, but this way, you girls will have more room to sleep and Nicole has someone who can help her drive. Sidney can catch a couple of hours and then Nicole can sleep part of the way back.”

Michelle and B looked at me half terrified. “It’s cool.” I reassured them. “He knows.”

They looked at me like, how dare you tell him? But neither of them actually said anything, they just nodded. Patrick was the first of the guys we knew well out of the locker room. “Bravo Patrick!” Bianca said, rushing over to give him a hug (and probably trying to get away from Troy too).

Michelle followed and I giggled. “I think you scared them.” I said.

Troy shrugged. “I didn’t mean too.” He said. “Sidney just said that he wanted to spend some time alone with you, so I figured if I took those two, he could get what he wanted.”

“I’m starting to think that I’m the only person who’s only goal isn’t to make sure that the phenom gets whatever he wants.” I said with a teasing smile.

“This from the girl with a credit card bill a mile and a half long.” Troy teased me back.

I shrugged. “I only spent 1500$ in the past couple of days.”

“Only.” He said rolling his eyes. “What on earth are you going to do when your Dad stops funding your shopping sprees?”

“That’s never going to happen.” I assured him. “So long as I’m in school, and I want to go into law. Maybe contract law so I can be an agent. That would be cool. Then I’ll be able to pay for my own shopping sprees.”

Troy chuckled. “Or you’ll just marry my son and he’ll pay for them.”

I shrugged. “I’d never want anyone to think I married Sidney for his money.” I said, trying to sound relaxed, though I think I failed.

Troy wrapped an arm around my shoulders and gave me a fatherly type hug (the kind that Dad used to give me before Frankie died). “Oh Nicole.” He said. “I was just teasing. I know full well that you aren’t after my son for his potential earning power. If you were I would have seen to it that you were out of his life so fast that your head would have spun. I feel comfortable with who you are as my son’s girlfriend.”

“Sorry Troy.” I said. “I guess it’s still a touchy subject because most people assume that that’s one of the reasons that Sidney and I are together.”

“Sorry kiddo.” He said again. “I was just teasing.”

“It’s okay Troy.” I said. “Thanks for arranging for Sidney to drive back with me. But you really don’t have to take Mich and B if you don’t want. Sid and I can take them.”

“I’ve got more room in the truck then you do in that little sports car of yours.” He pointed out. “It would be a far more comfortable trip for them if they came with me.”

“Well yeah.” I said. “But then you are going to have to put with several hours of them pretending that they aren’t drunk, and really no one should suffer that. With Sid and I, they won’t even bother to pretend.”

Troy chuckled again. “Well I could always take your car and you and Sidney could take the truck.”

“Probably NOT a good idea.” I said. “I’ve never driven anything bigger then, well, my car really. I tried driving Sidney’s truck once and it was nearly disastrous.”

Troy chuckled. “Well as long as it wasn’t actually disastrous then it wasn’t truly that bad.”

“I suppose.” I said. “But Sidney wasn’t that happy about it.”

“No I don’t think he would be. That’s his baby after all.” He said.

“Well she’s a baby sometimes Dad.” Sidney said coming up behind me and wrapping me in a quick, tight hug. “How’s it going brat?”

“Not bad phenom.” I said, kissing him softly on the cheek. “How long before you and I can take off and your Dad can take drunk and drunker home?”

“About an hour probably brat.” He said tucking my head under his chin as he smoothed my hair. “Maybe more.”

I sighed. “Do you have to sign that many autographs?” I asked. “I don’t mean to whine phenom, but I want to get home.”

“I know Nickie.” He said, also sighing. “So do I.”

“Congratulations by the way Sid you played great baby.” I said, snuggling closer, my hands trailing dangerously south of the border. “I have a special surprise waiting for you when we get back to Rimouski.”

“Nickie have I ever told you that you’re a brat?” Sidney groaned low in my ear.

“Daily.” I replied with a wicked grin. “But you can tell me again if it makes you feel better.” I told him.

“You’re brat.” He growled softly as he leaned down and kissed me.

“And you’re a hockey phenom whose fans are going to turn into rabid bears if you don’t start signing things.” I said. “So go and sign. I want to get home.”

“Yes Ma’am.” He said with a mock salute.

I giggled as he wandered away to sign autographs. Troy laughed too. We stood around waiting for him. And we waited. The rest of the guys boarded the bus. In fact, the bus was about to leave before the PR guy from the Nics pulled Sidney away and told all the fans that he had to leave. It was totally approaching midnight. I was wiped. We weren’t going to be home until 5:30 or 6:00 in the morning.

He kissed me again. “Are you ready brat?” He asked.

“I guess.” I turned to his Dad. “Troy you really want to take those two?” I asked.

“I’ll be fine Nicole.” He said with a smile. “You act like I’ve never been around a couple of drunken teenagers before.”

“Okay then.” I turned to Mich and B. “I’ll see you guys tomorrow night? Sid and Eric’s?”

“Oui.” B said. “Don’t forget the rum.”

I shook my head and smirked. “As if I’d forget that.” I said.

Sidney and I walked out to the car he slung an arm around my shoulders. “I love you brat.” He whispered kissing me softly on the forehead. “Sorry I took so long.”

I yawned. “No big deal phenom. You can make it up to me later.” I said.

“And how exactly am I supposed to do that?” He asked.

I grinned wickedly. “By taking the first half of the drive so that I can sleep.” I said, tossing him the keys. “Wake me in like, 3 hours, and I’ll drive the rest of the way home.”

“Brat.” He said with a smile as he tossed his suit bag in the backseat.

We drove home in under 5 hours. Apparently we sped a lot. Because the next thing I know, Sidney is shaking me awake. “Nickie we’re here.”

“It’s time for me to drive already?” I asked with a yawn.

“No Nickie we’re home.” He said with a soft smile as I wiped my eyes tiredly. “You looked so peaceful I couldn’t wake you.”

“You should have.” I told him with a grin. “Because now you’re going to be of absolutely no use to me for several hours while you catch up on your sleep.”

He leaned over and kissed me deeply. “Oh I’m sure that if you think very, very hard you can find some way to keep me up.”

I giggled and put my index finger in my mouth biting and licking it gently. “I think I have some ideas.” I told him teasingly.

“Good.” He said, his look burning hot. “Let’s go.”

“But we’re at your house.” I said confused.

“Yeah and?” He asked.

“Isn’t your Dad staying here too?” I asked.

“Yeah and?” He repeated.

“Umm that’s kind of umm, awkward.” I said. “Isn’t it?”

“Doesn’t bother me if it doesn’t bother you.” He said as we took our shoes off in the kitchen. “Does it bother you?”

“Well I mean, after the way your Mom and I met….” I trailed off as he kissed me.

“I don’t see my Mom here.” He said looking around and then kissing me deeply. “Do you?”

“No.” I mumbled as I let my lips trail a line of kisses down his neck.

He literally picked me up and carried me to the bedroom. We hadn’t had sex in what seemed like forever and we just, well were craving each other. He tasted so good and his arms felt so good around me. I explored his body like I was exploring it for the first time. My hands trailed down the muscles of his stomach and he moaned low. “God Nickie you’re killing me baby….”

I grinned wickedly and sucked gently on one of his fingers. “I know.”

“Sidney!” His father’s voice called, interrupting us very effectively.

“Oh shit.” Sidney said, getting up.

“Fuck.” I muttered, rolling over and covering myself with the blanket.

He kissed me softly on the forehead. “I’ll be right back baby.” He said as he pulled on his boxers.

I didn’t reply. I was kind of embarrassed. His Dad had probably totally heard that. Sidney and I are not exactly known for our ability to be quiet when we’re having sex. Mark and Eric have had detailed (and public) conversations about what they’ve heard. It’s rather embarrassing when your FRIENDS hear you. Let alone you’re boyfriend’s Dad.

“Hey Dad.” I heard Sidney say.

“I’m not very impressed with your driving Sidney.” He said firmly. “That was dangerous. You were doing at least 125 when I lost you.”

“Sorry Dad.” He said in that tone of voice that let me know he wasn’t sorry at all.

“You could have been hurt. You were tired. Do you really want to risk being able to play hockey?” Troy asked sternly.

Sidney sighed. “Sorry Dad, I just wanted to get home. I wasn’t thinking and I promise I won’t do anything stupid like that again.”

“Good.” Troy said. “I don’t want to scare you Sid, but with Danny Snyder’s death this fall, it’s important for all you to understand that one bad decision can end your career. You’re only 16… you’re career is just getting started.”

“Sorry Dad.” Sidney said again. Then he yawned. “You need anything or can I go back to bed?” He asked.

“Go to bed.” Troy said, amusement in his voice. “And tell Nicole that I got her friends home alright.”

I could hear the embarrassment in Sidney’s voice. “’Kay Dad, I will. See you in the afternoon?” He asked hopefully.

“Late morning.” Troy said. “I want to get home before your party tomorrow night so I can tell your Mother that I knew absolutely nothing about it. With a fairly clear conscious.”

“Sorry about that brat.” Sid said quietly as he crawled back into bed, cuddling me close. “I guess I’m going to have to make this all up to you tomorrow night….”

No comments: