Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Chapter 29 - How I Spent My Summer Vacation

Sidney and I spent 3 fun filled days (that’s sarcastic in case you couldn’t tell Ms. Kulak) in Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia. I mean, it wasn’t that it was horrible or anything, but it was kind of like going up to the ranch… it was okay, but boring as hell. I mean, Sid can’t really GO anywhere without being bombarded with requests from the local media or from fans, so mainly we hung out at his place and had his Mom constantly watching us.

I got the whole good intentions thing, but I must admit that I was super relieved when Sunday afternoon we were able to wave goodbye to his family again. It wasn’t that I didn’t like the Crosby’s, or the whole family thing, its just that I wasn’t used to it. I’m STILL not used to it. I like coming and going as I please, and not having to answer to anyone.

Sidney laughed at me as we headed out to the highway. “You’re that relieved to be leaving huh Nickie?”

“It’s not that I don’t like your parents.” I explained. “I just don’t like having to tell them where I’m going and stuff. I never have to tell anyone that stuff. And your Mom just kind of hovers over you.”

“And that’s your job now isn’t it brat?” He teased.

“I do not hover.” I snapped, feeling a little irritated.

“I’m kidding brat.” Sidney said, also sounding a little irritated. “If you think it’s anymore fun for me then it was for you, you’re dead wrong.”

“Sorry Sid.” I said. “I just want to get home.”

“Agreed.” He replied, his hand reaching for mine. “I want to have you alone in our bed.”

“Who says we need the bed?” I said with a wink.

Sidney laughed. “For someone who was a virgin like, two months ago you are certainly inventive.”

“You like me that way.” I replied with a wink and a grin.

“I’d like you anyway.” He told me firmly.

“But you especially like me when I’m naked.” I pointed out.

“True.” He replied, trailing a finger down my bare arm.

I shivered with desire. “I love you.”

“I love you more.” Sidney replied his voice husky. I floored the gas in response. “Umm Nickie?” Sidney asked.

“What?” I asked, rolling along at 135 kilometres per hour.

“Umm aren’t you worried about speeding tickets?” He asked.

I slowed to 120. “I’m from Alberta honey.” I replied. “100 really means 115 and 110 really means 125.”

“But you’re in Nova Scotia.”

I shrugged. “Daddy will make any ticket I get go away.” I replied. “I’ve got the guilt trip thing down. Not to mention the fact that he hasn’t spoken to me once since the 30th of December.”

“You treat it so lightly.” Sidney said slowly.

I shrugged. “Life’s a joke phenom, laugh hard.” Sidney looked at me awkwardly. “How ‘bout this one? Life’s short. Enjoy the time you’ve got.”

Sidney nodded slowly, somewhat taken aback. “And how does a speeding ticket help you enjoy the time you’ve got?” He asked.

I raised my eyebrows wickedly. “It doesn’t really. But the act of speeding itself helps me get us back to Rimouski and our own bed faster… what can I say phenom? I want to jump your bones."

That made Sid laugh. “Well I can’t say that I object to that.” He said, his fingers trailing teasingly up my leg.

I smacked at his hand. “Behave yourself or I may just have to pull this car over mister.” I replied teasingly.

His hand slid teasingly up my shirt. Which was not necessarily the best thing to do, since I was driving. “Dare you.” He whispered, his lips working on my ear.

“Don’t tempt me phenom.” I said, pulling away from him. “I want to go home.”

“Is Rimouski really home for you now?” He asked.

“Home phenom, is wherever you are.” I told him. “I mean, Airdrie wasn’t really home after Frankie died because my family kind of went with him. Your Mom told me I’d kind of made a family for me in Rimouski… that’s where home is now.”

Sidney took my hand in his and raised it gently to his lips. “I’ll always be there for you Nickie… no matter what.”

I smiled at him. “Let’s get home Sid.” I told him firmly.

“When the season’s done I’m bringing you home with me for a couple of weeks.” Sidney said firmly. “I know that its hard to be around my parents and all, but I’d like it if you’d come stay with us for awhile.”

“You know I’m going to say yes phenom.” I said. “But in return I am going to expect your Dad to let you go for like, a week, because I want to take you home for the Victoria Day Long Weekend.”

“What about your parents?” Sidney asked.

“Trust me phenom. They won’t be a problem.” I said. “I want you to meet my friends back home.”

“But not your parents?” Sidney replied, raising his eyebrows.

“Sidney, my Mom will be drunk fucking, well whoever she’s fucking now. It was one of the Flames when I left. Or she won’t even be home. If I ask her to leave because I want to throw a party she’ll go away. Daddy will see to it I have my ID back and we’ll have a party.” I grinned. “I’ll invite Ryan down from Calgary and Dion down from Red Deer… it’ll be great.”

Sid laughed and shook his head. “Sometimes I think that the only thing you think about is the next party.” He said seriously though.

“Sidney you should know that that isn’t true. I think about you and my family and my school work a lot too.” I said. “But I have an image to maintain phenom, and if I take you home to meet my friends, Ima throw one hell of a party.”

Sidney laughed. “Well then I won’t stop you.”

“Good.” I replied.

We sat in silence for awhile. Sidney fiddled with the stereo and looked out the window and looked at me. Finally he broke the silence. “Nickie I do know that you have a lot more on your mind then parties.” He said slowly. “I just want you to know that.”

I squeezed his hand. “I know that you know Sid.” I told him softly. “Remember that morning after I passed out at your place?” I asked.

“Of course.” He said.

“And do you remember what you told me?” I probed.

He paused, thought for a second and said. “Umm not really. I just remember how beautiful you looked, even first thing after you woke up and how it amazed me to hear you talk about psychology like that. I wanted to know what kind of parents you had, but you wouldn’t tell me.”

“Do you know now?” I asked softly.

“Yes.” He said firmly. “Your parents started off as authoritative, but became negligent permissive after your brother died and their marital problems became severe.” He paused. “But that doesn’t tell me what I said to you that day.”

I turned and looked in his eyes briefly (before looking back at the road of course). “You said that you knew that even though my image was the sexy party girl, but you knew that there was more to me and you wanted to know what it was.”

Sidney grinned. “That sounds like something I’d say, since I was already half in love with you then.” He told me.

“Well it was one of the things that really made me fall in love with you phenom.” I told him firmly. “It made me realize that you were special because you saw more to me then I let other people see.”

Sidney didn’t say anything at first, he just leaned over and kissed the sensitive skin of my neck. I shivered. “I fell in love with you when you weren’t impressed by who I was and you kept giving me a hard time about everything.”

I grinned. “Well I couldn’t just make things easy for you Sidney.” I told him truthfully. “I had to make you work.”

He smiled back. “Well you definitely didn’t make anything easy for me.”

I raised my eyebrows. “I don’t know about that phenom. You managed to get into my pants without too much difficulty.”

Sidney laughed. “If you think that wasn’t hard, wow. You have no idea how easy it was for me before that.”

I hit him lightly. “You are a bad phenom.” I told him.

He grabbed my hand and gently sucked on one of my fingers causing me to shiver with desire. “And how, pray tell are you going to punish me brat?” He asked, eyebrows raised.

I glanced at him slyly. “That’s for me to know and for you to find out.”

“Threat or promise?” He replied, still sucking seductively on my fingers.

“A little from column A, a little from column B.” I replied, pulling my hands away from him before I got too turned on.

“I look forward to it.” Sidney replied, grinning wickedly.

“So do you think things have blown over at home?” I asked. “Or are we going to have to go visit my parents right away?”

Sidney grinned and laughed. “Umm I hope things have blown over, because I don’t think the team is going to send me away again until AFTER the playoffs are over, and hopefully that won’t be until the end of the Memorial Cup in May.”

“It could last that long?” I asked, somewhat surprised.

“Well yeah.” He said. “You didn’t know that?”

I shrugged. “I live in Flames country. The Hitmen are rather secondary to the Flames… I mean I party with the guys and all, but that’s the extent of it.”

“Oh.” Sidney said. “So this is your first real CHL crazy-town experience huh?”

“Yep.” I said. “But not yours?” I asked.

“Well we’re not that far away from Halifax.” Sidney explained. “My parents and I used to go to Mooseheads games all of the time.”

“You were an only child for awhile huh?” I asked.

“Well my parents were young when I was born.” Sidney explained again. “They wanted to wait awhile before they had another baby.”

“So you were an ‘ooops’.” I said with a giggle.

Sidney shrugged. “Pretty much.” He said. “What about you?”

“Umm, well my Dad is nearly 52.” I said. “But Mom is younger. She’s only 36. She was young when I was born and young when she met Dad.”

“Was your Dad married before your Mom?” Sidney asked.

“Not that I know of.” I said. “He has no other kids but us. Maybe he was.” I shrugged. “Probably actually, knowing the way my Dad is.”

“Doesn’t that bother you?” Sidney asked. “That you don’t know whether or not your Dad was married before your Mom?”

I shrugged. “I never really thought about it.” I said. “I suppose I’ll ask him if he ever calls me.”

Sidney slammed his fist down. “That fucking irritates me.” He growled. “The man is nearly 52 fucking years old and he can’t be responsible enough to call his own fucking daughter? His flesh and blood? What the fuck is wrong with him?”

I shrugged. “I wish I knew the answer.” I replied. “But, well I don’t.” I paused. “Some questions… well you just don’t really want know the answers to you know?”

“Give me your cell phone.” He commanded.

“Umm why?” I asked nervously. “What are you planning on doing?”

“I love you Nickie.” He said firmly. “Now just give me the phone.”

So I handed him my cell from my purse. “What are you planning on doing phenom?” I asked again as I hesitated.

“Don’t worry about it Nickie.” Sidney said, his voice hard. “Just know that I love you.”

No comments: