Thursday, April 24, 2008

Chapter 32 - How I Spent My Summer Vacation

On the 2nd day of April, I was sitting in my seats with Bianca and Michelle, anxiously awaiting puck drop. I was still sexually frustrated like you wouldn’t believe, and I was hoping that this would be a quick series. I still hadn’t heard from either of my parents, even though I’d called and left messages for both of them. We were all nervous.

Bianca was talking in rapid French with Michelle about how she and Marc-André were still emailing back and forth and something about what he’d said to her in his latest email. If I hadn’t been so preoccupied watching Sidney in the pre-game skate and warm-up I probably would have been impressed with how much French I’d managed to pick up since I’d gotten here.

Except I was totally preoccupied. I mean, he was so frickin’ sexy it wasn’t even funny. And yes, there is something sexy about a sweaty hockey player. Even if it’s not Sidney. Although, sweaty hockey player is even sexier when it’s Sidney… well at least to me. But I guess I am kind of biased.

“Nicole are you listening?” Michelle asked, a wicked grin on her face.

“Clearly I am not listening.” I said, rolling my eyes at the silly grin on her face. She knew full well that I wasn’t paying attention, and teasing me about it was not making matters any better. “Clearly I am far too busy watching my boyfriend.”

“Clearly you have seen nothing or no one else since you got back from Cole Harbour.” Bianca said. “It must have been very good for you to go.”

I snorted. “I haven’t had sex in what seems like weeks and you say that going to Cole Harbour was good for me?”

Bianca rolled her eyes. “I have not gotten laid since you stole Sidney from me.” She said with a teasing smile, letting me know that she didn’t still blame me for what happened between her and Sidney. “Now who should be distracted?”

“Marc-André is distracting you with his sugary sweet emails.” I grumbled. “Sidney, however is NOT distracting me nearly enough.” I paused. “Just don’t let him sweet talk you too much B… I’m not sure I trust the French.”

Bianca and Michelle giggled. “That is the Albertan in you Nicole.” Michelle said.

We all laughed as the puck dropped then sat back for the next three periods as our boys went on to beat Shawinigan 4-2. My phenom had a goal and an assist in the win, and I smiled proudly and accepted the congratulations from the people around us. I was sure that Troy and Trina were experiencing the same thing in their seats. I was almost as well known in Rimouski as Sidney was… a perk or, well the opposite of a perk is, (I wasn’t always sure which it was) of being his girlfriend I suppose.

Apparently being his girlfriend means that I am somehow responsible for his success. I always just laughed and shook peoples’ hands when they offered them. “I should go see Trina and Troy.” I said, making my way to the aisle.

“I think we will go to see the boys.” Michelle said with a sidelong glance at Bianca.

“You guys really suck.” I said glaring at them.

Bianca shrugged. “I have already made an ass of myself in front of Mrs. Crosby.” She said. “I may as well be your support.”

“Thanks B.” I said, sticking my tongue out at Michelle. “At least Mrs. Crosby never found you like, half-naked in bed with her son.”

B giggled. “You are correct.”

Michelle sighed gustily. “Fine, I’ll come with you.” She said. “But you will have to buy me a drink afterwards.”

I grinned. “Done.” I said, knowing that we’d been planning on partying anyway, since it was Friday after all.

We wandered up to the deck where Troy and Trina always sat. Taylor was with them, in her Ocèanic jersey. She grinned when she saw me. “Nickie!” She said, wrapping her arms tightly around me.

“Hey Taylor.” I said, lifting her off the ground and hugging her. “How you doing kiddo?” I asked her with a grin.

“Good.” She replied with a slightly toothless grin. “Are you going to come see Sidney with us?” She asked.

“I think I might kiddo.” I replied setting her on her feet.

I hadn’t really spent a ton of time with Taylor when Sidney and I had been in Cole Harbour, but she’d always been around, kind of following me like a puppy dog. I thought it was cute, so I hadn’t even mentioned it to Sidney. I don’t think he’d really noticed. His little sister totally worshipped him, and he was used to her following him around everywhere. I didn’t want to hurt his feelings by pointing out that she was shadowing me and not him.

“Nicole how are you?” Troy asked, shaking my hand and accepting my kiss on his cheek.

“Fine thanks.” I said with a smile, turning and kissing Trina on the cheek as she kissed me on the cheek as well. “And yourselves?” I asked politely.

“Better now that this first one is out of the way.” Trina said, looking as relieved as I felt.

I grinned. “And you probably had everyone around you congratulating you too.” I said.

“They congratulate you?” Troy asked with a grin.

I nodded with a silly grin. “Apparently, as his girlfriend, I am somehow responsible for his success.” I said with a shrug. “I have no idea how, but I’ll take it.”

“Who are your friends?” Trina asked, looking curiously at B, who she clearly recognized.

“Mr. and Mrs. Crosby, I’d like you to meet Michelle Bergeron and Bianca Giancarlo. Mich, B, Mr. & Mrs. Crosby.” I introduced them. Trina looked at me funny, but shook both of their hands. I continued. “Michelle is Danny Stewart’s girlfriend, and B and Marc-André Fleury keep in touch.”

Trina and Troy nodded, and Taylor tugged on my hand. “Your friends are pretty Nickie.” She said.

I grinned. “They are aren’t they?” I said conspiratorially to the little girl. “Maybe I need some new friends, or your big brother won’t like me anymore.”

Taylor laughed. “You’re silly Nickie.” She said. “Besides… you’re prettier then they are. And Sidney likes you better then anyone else. He told me so.”

“Oh really?” I said, eyebrows raised. “What else did Sidney tell you?” I asked, as Trina and Troy grinned at me over Taylor’s head. I took her hand and we headed down towards the locker rooms.

“That you made him feel stupid when you first met him, but that you were sad.” She paused, smiling up at me innocently. “He wanted to know why you were sad and he wanted to make you happy once he realized how stupid he was.”

I chuckled. “That sounds like your brother.” I told her. “He wasn’t very smart when we first met… I’ll tell you all about it when you’re older.” I promised. “Only because he’s smartened up.”

She smiled up at me adoringly. It was almost enough to make me cry. Frankie had been her age when he died. A single tear made its way down my cheek, and I hurried to brush it away hoping that no one would notice. Troy noticed though. “Are you okay Nicole?” He asked, sounding concerned.

“I’m fine Mr. Crosby, sorry.” I said.

He nodded, and didn’t say anything else. Sidney was still dealing with reporters when we got downstairs, but his face lit up when he saw me standing there, his little sister’s hand in mine, and that made me feel good. I like seeing that completely adorable little boy grin on his face. As soon as he was done with the reporters he came over and picked up Taylor, spinning her around. I wiped my eyes.

It was hard not to think about Frankie. I mean, yeah, he would have been 14, but he was gone, and so he was always that 8 year old little boy that I’d adored more than I ‘d actually known. Sidney set Taylor on his feet and wrapped his arms around me.

I clung to him. He stunk, but I needed his strength at that moment. I missed Frankie so much when I looked at Taylor, and realized how much my baby brother had missed out on. I hated moments like that, because I didn’t want to think about what he was missing out on. Sidney kissed my forehead. “You okay brat?” He asked.

“Later.” I said kissing him on the cheek as I pulled away, immediately feeling better.

“’Kay.” He said, turning and hugging his Mom and Dad.

We all stood around talking for awhile, before Sidney yawned. “I better get home and get to bed.” He said as he turned to Michelle. “Do you mind driving Nickie’s car over to my place?” He asked. “I’m just going home.” He said quickly to his Mom. “But I haven’t had time to talk to Nickie much lately.”

Michelle nodded and I tossed her my car keys. “Why don’t you stop at my place and pick up the, umm stuff you guys left there earlier?” I said, hoping that they would realize that I meant the booze Mark had bought for us earlier, but that Trina wouldn’t. “Then you can come get me at Sid and Eric’s?”

“Sure Nicole.” Michelle said nodding. “See you in a bit.”

“We’re off too then.” Sidney said to his parents. “We’ll go for lunch tomorrow?” He asked his Dad. “All of us?”

“Yes Nicole can come too.” Troy chuckled. “Get a goodnight’s sleep.”

“Yes Dad.” Sidney said, rolling his eyes. “Bye Mom. Bye squirt.”

“Bye Nickie.” Taylor said with a smile.

“So what’s up Nickie?” Sidney asked, as he held the passenger side door of his SUV open for me.

I shrugged. “Taylor sure is cute.” I said. “And she adores her big brother.”

Sidney shrugged a small smile on his face. “She does, doesn’t she?” He paused. “She really likes you too though Nickie.”

“I know she does.” I said with a small smile. “She told me that you like me best of all and you told her so.”

Sidney grinned and pressed a soft kiss on my palm. “She wasn’t lying. I did tell her that I liked you best of all. I more then like you Nicole, I love you brat.”

“I love you too Sidney.” I said softly, looking and our hands.

“Frankie was the same age as Taylor is now when he died wasn’t he?” Sidney asked, his thumb stroking my hand gently, instantly knowing what it was that was upsetting me.

“He’d be 14.” I said with a sad smile. “He would have been so adorable. All the girls would have been all over him. I would have had to beat them off him with a stick. I can almost see him.”

“He looked like you right?” Sidney asked.

“Yeah….” I said. “I mean, he’d probably be a lot stronger… I mean have a bigger build at this point. But we had the same kind of golden blonde hair… his was curly and he had big brown eyes instead of blue ones.” I sighed. “It’s just not fair you know? Why Frankie? He had so much potential. Why him and not me?”

“Because it wasn’t your time Nickie.” Sidney said softly. “It was his. I am not normally all that religious, but I think we all have to believe that when little kids die in accidents like that, there is a reason for what happens. Maybe it was to teach your parents something… maybe it was to teach you something. Heck maybe it was because it was supposed to bring us together at this time and place Nickie.” He sighed. “I don’t know what it was brat, but I don’t know what I would do without you in my life.”

I leaned over and kissed him softly on the cheek. “Thanks phenom.” I said softly. “Sometimes I need to hear that.”

“I know you do Nickie.” He said, pulling into his driveway. “No come in, and have a quick shower with me.”

I rolled my eyes. “You smell.” I informed him. “And if I get in that shower I will not go home until early tomorrow morning, and we would so break YOUR no sex rule.”

“I changed my mind.” He said brusquely pulling me into the house after him.

“No way.” I said folding my arms across my chest. “You made the decision and now you have to live with the consequences phenom.”

“Nickie you suck.” He said pouting. “All I want to do is love you a little…” He cajoled me his hands seeking my breasts.

I giggled and tossed my hair over my shoulder. “Actually Crosby, I think the point is that I will not be sucking… anything, until this series is over.”

No comments: