Saturday, April 26, 2008

Chapter 5 - Some Kind of Wonderful

I had planned not to let Erin know that Sidney and I were going to be running together again that night, or that I’d seen him the night before at all. Unfortunately for me, life often has other plans and in this case, life definitely had other plans.

No sooner had we opened the doors to let the kids in on Friday then Taylor was all over me. “Darryl!” She cried flinging herself at me.

I caught her easily. “What’s up kiddo?” I asked.

“Sidney said that you’re going to go running with him tonight.” She told me with that grin of hers. “He said that you kicked him in the shin really hard last night.” She giggled. “He has a bruise. He showed it to me this morning.”

I blushed, seeing Mr. Crosby approach. “I’m sorry about that.” I said with a small smile. “But let that be a lesson to your brother about grabbing people who have headphones on and scaring them half to death.”

Taylor giggled. “My brother is silly.” She said. “And sometimes he’s not very smart.”

I glanced at Troy. “I really am sorry Mr. Crosby.” I told him almost shyly. “I really had no idea who grabbed me and I didn’t mean to hurt Sidney. I hope he’s alright.”

“He’s fine.” Troy said with a smile. “You’ve damaged his ego slightly, by refusing to go to some party with him tonight, but he’s fine otherwise, well that and a little bruise. It’ll be gone in a week.” Troy paused. “Though he is planning on making a very big deal out of it when he meets you tonight, just so you’re warned.”

“Thanks for the warning.” I replied smiling back at him. “I’ll tell him to suck it up.”

“Good.” Troy said with a smile. “Well Tay, you have a good day kiddo. Mom or Sidney will be here to pick you up okay?” He paused looking at me. “Actually it will probably be Sidney. I think he’s looking for a reason to come here.”

“Yep, thanks Dad.” Taylor was already off and running.

I shook my head with a laugh. “He’s persistent.”

Troy laughed. “He’s not used to be shot down either.”

I shrugged. “He probably doesn’t usually hit on 22-year-old teachers.”

Troy chuckled. “You’d be surprised.” Was all he said as he left.

Over the past few days Taylor had discovered more then a couple of kids who didn’t care who her older brother was and she quickly made friends. She was far more interested in going and playing then she was in hanging out with her Dad. It was nice to see her having such a good day after that first day.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” Erin demanded.

I sighed. She was always nearby when any of the Crosby’s were around. “Umm I was talking to Troy and Taylor Crosby.” I said.

“I could see that!” She snapped. “I mean what do you think you’re doing with Sidney?”

“Well let’s see, last night around 9:30 I was bored out of my skull and I decided I had to go for a run.” I explained. “So I did, and then Sidney ran up behind me, grabbed me around the waist, scared the crap out of me. I kicked him in the shin. We talked. We ran together. He decided that I needed a running partner.”

“He decided?” She snorted. “Yeah right.”

“No, actually, please ask him.” I said, rolling my eyes. “Sidney is worried that some weirdo or creep is going to grab me. Since we run around the same time most nights, he decided we should run together.”

“You are suck a skank.” She snapped.

“Excuse me?” I replied. “Look Erin, I know that you like Sidney, Sidney knows that you like Sidney. I am not trying to do anything with Sidney. He lives near me. I like his little sister and we both like to run. It’s not big deal.”

I paused. “Look we have to work together for 6 weeks, one way or the other. So let’s just be professional shall we?”

“I fail to see what’s so professional about a teacher going after a 17-year-old.” She snapped irritated.

“Did you not hear the part where Mr. Crosby said that Sidney’s ego was a little damaged because I wouldn’t go with him to that party tonight?” I asked. “Because I am not going to party with a 17-year-old.”

“Yeah and since you aren’t going, Sidney’s not going to go either.” Erin grumbled.

“So I’m supposed to party with 17-year-olds if it means that you’ll get to party with him too?” I asked, rolling my eyes. “Erin get over it. If he liked you he’d go to the party. But he’s not going. Shouldn’t that be a little bit of a hint?”

“What are you saying?” She demanded, her mouse-brown hair bouncing as she almost vibrated she was so clearly angry with me.

“That if Sidney liked you and you had a shot in hell of getting him then he would go to the party to see you.” I said.

“A chance in hell?” She replied now near tears. “I’ll have you know that Sidney took my virginity!”

“I’m sorry.” I said with a sigh, not wanting to rub it in her face any longer. “Look sometimes these things just don’t work out the way we want them too.”

She glared at me. “Because of older women.” She snapped.

“You’re older then Sidney.” I pointed out. Erin was the youngest of us, but she had just turned 20.

“And I took him away from the 16-year-old he’d been with.” She said. “I was 18 at the time. Then a 20-year-old took him away from me. Now are you’re going to take him away again, just when I thought I was going to get him back!”

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. This was so not what I had signed up for when I decided to move out here. If I wanted histrionics and drama I would have stayed at home and worked out at Juvie again. I had been looking forward to a summer without this kind of crap.

Yet here I was, smack dab in the middle of some kind of high school-esque drama and I had no idea how I was going to get out of it. “Look Erin, I really, really don’t want Sidney.” I said. “I mean, he’s been nice to me yeah. But I’m new here and I don’t know anyone except for you guys, the kids, and Sidney.”

“And he’d rather spend time with you then with me.” She sniffled.

I pulled her aside, into the staff room with a nod at Petey, who was among the crowd that was watching us. “Erin look, I’m going to be honest here. I’ve jumped into bed with guys I liked because it seemed like a good idea at the time.”

“You have?” She asked, looking for a minute like she was actually going to listen to what I had to say.

“Of course I have.” I said. “Who hasn’t?”

“Well I didn’t just jump into bed with Sidney.” She said indignantly.

I shrugged. “Maybe you didn’t.” I said. “But the fact is, he doesn’t care anymore, and if you keep chasing him you just look like a fool. Ignore him.”

“What would you know?” She snapped, shoving past me. “You’ve just met the guy. I’ve known him since elementary school.”

The shove was what made me snap. I’m normally a very calm person, but there are some things that just set me off. “I may have just met the guy Erin…” I called after her. “But he seems to like me a hell of a lot more then he likes you.”

The rest of the day was really, really slow. I mean, Erin was pissed off at me, and yes, I was pissed off at her, and I just wasn’t in the mood to be at work. I made it through though because, really the kids deserved the best from me. So I tried to give it to them.

When 5 rolled around though, I wanted nothing more then to go home and eat chips or something equally bad for me. You know, comfort food. However, 5 came and went and Taylor remained. It was nearly 20 after before Sidney walked in. “About time you got here.” I muttered as he came over to say hi.

“Sorry.” He said shrugging, not sounding sorry at all. “I got caught up at the gym and didn’t notice the time.”

“Tay!” I called. “Your brother is here!”

“Thanks Darryl.” She said as she ran to go get her things.

“Why are you so pissy Dare?” Sidney asked.

“You never mentioned that you took Erin’s virginity.” I said. “But she did, loudly. Caused a lot of fuss too.”

Sidney rolled his eyes. “Oh lord not that again.” He muttered. “Dare I am so, so sorry. I didn’t think she would get that, well attached to me.”

I shook my head. “Sidney I don’t care who you’ve slept with. We’ve just met. So if you think that’s what’s bothering me please, get over yourself.” I told him. “What’s bothering me is the fact that your personal life is affecting my job.”

“Hey don’t blame me.” Sidney said, raising his hands in defeat. “Erin’s the one who’s being a bitch. That’s all on Erin.”

“What’s all on me?” Erin asked, appearing in the doorway with Taylor.

“Tay can you go out to the truck?” Sidney asked. “I’ll be there with Dare in a couple of minutes.”

I raised my eyebrows at him. “We’re supposed to meet at 7 remember?” I said.

“And I don’t see your car in the lot.” He said. “My bet is you walked because it was nice the morning. But it’s absolutely pouring right now. I thought you might like a ride.”

“Oh thanks.” I said blushing.

Done with me for the moment he turned to Erin. “What is all on you is the fact that you can’t let something that happened two years ago. It only happened once Erin.” He said cruelly. “And there was a reason for that.”

“Sidney don’t be mean.” I said a little shocked by how cruel he was being.

“No, Dare, you don’t get it.” Sidney said shaking his head. “I’ve tried being nice, and I’m tired of it. Erin, you were there, I was there, it wasn’t that good. I didn’t know you were a virgin, you came on so strong.”

He paused, looking at me briefly before continuing. “Not that that’s an excuse, I should have known better Erin, but the fact is, I was down for a one night stand, and I thought you were too. I’m sorry if you wanted more. But I never did and I never will.”

No comments: