Saturday, April 26, 2008

Chapter 4 - Some Kind of Wonderful

I didn’t see Sidney again over the next couple of days. Taylor was picked up or dropped off by either of her parents, though she did insist on introducing me to Trina and Troy, who were just as nice as their son and daughter. Taylor continued taking dance with me most afternoons, though she had yet to try cheerleading, and she avoided Erin like the plague.

In the meantime, I was still unpacking (I mean, why unpack it until you need it right?) and getting classroom materials together. I was looking forward to my first weekend in the Halifax area because I planned on going exploring. I mean, I had no clue where anything was, and what better way to spend a weekend?

I could shop and eat, and eat and shop, maybe find a nearby gym that I could join, I mean, running outside is all fine and good in July, but in late September or October? Or when it rains? Then, well it’s not so cool. I knew that I had to find out about a local gym, especially since Thursday it rained almost all day. It was still soggy out when I would have usually gone for my run, so I plopped myself down and watched TV.

Around 9:30 though, the inactivity really started to get to me. Even though I’d been out of shape when I got here, my body had quickly gotten used to my nightly runs. I chafed at the idea of just watching more TV and going to bed.

So I grabbed a pair of long wind pants, an old pair of sneakers (and I mean really old… I didn’t want to wreck a good pair) and a hoodie and threw it all on. Grabbing my MP3 player I headed out along the path to the park. It got dark out here earlier (or so it seemed) then it did back home, and dusk was definitely falling.

Not that it bothered me, this was a safe neighborhood, especially when compared to the one I’d lived in in Winnipeg. Of course, maybe I should have been a little more weary. Or at least, that’s the first thought that ran through my mind when I felt someone grab me (around the waist) from behind.

I immediately started to struggle and kick. “Get the fuck off me.” I snapped, kicking whoever was behind me hard in the shin.

“Jesus Christ Darryl, fuck.” Whoever was holding on to me said as they let me. “That’s going to leave a fucking bruise.”

Pressing stop on my MP3 player I turned, only to see Sidney rubbing his shin. “You scared the fucking crap out of me!” I replied indignantly. “You didn’t have to fucking grab me!”

“And you shouldn’t be out here running on your own!” He snapped, still rubbing his shin. “I was just trying to show you that. This is a decent neighborhood and all, but there are still a lot of weirdoes and creeps out there. I didn’t think you were going to kick me!”

I shook my head with an irritated sigh. “Look, Sidney, I’m sorry.” I said. “For kicking you at least. But you still shouldn’t have grabbed me.”

“Well I’m sorry from grabbing you.” He said. “But you still shouldn’t have been out here running alone.” He added indignantly. “My little sister really likes you Darryl I don’t want to see anything bad happen to you.”

“Well I really like Taylor.” I said. “She’s a really smart kid. She knows when someone is using her to get to you.” I said pointedly.

“Like Erin.” He replied with a chuckle.

“I didn’t say that.” I pointed out.

“You didn’t have to.” He said. “I’m not stupid either Darryl. I know when people are using my little sister to get at me, and trust me, people who are willing to use a 9-year-old little girl to get at me aren’t exactly going to be the kind of people I chose to associate with.”

“So you aren’t going to the party on Friday?” I asked, teasing him.

“I’m not sure.” He replied, flashing me the boyish grin that had probably won a lot of girls over. “Are you going to be there?” He asked flirtatiously.

“Nope.” I said shaking my head. “I don’t party with kids just out of high school. In particular I don’t party with kids who aren’t even legal yet. Sorry hun.” I patted him on the arm in consolation.

He shrugged. “Well then I guess I’m not going either.” He told me. “I hate girls like Erin and her friends. They are only interested in me because I’m a good hockey player and I’m worth some money.” He paused and looked at me almost shyly. “But if you were going to go it might almost be worth it.”

“Don’t sell yourself so short hun.” I said. “You’re a cute kid too.”

“So you think I’m cute do you?” He teased.

“For a kid.” I replied with a teasing smile of my own. “Jose Theodore or Dany Heatley are more my age.”

“And who’s more you type?” Sidney asked.

I looked at him. “Why are you asking?” I asked instead of immediately answering.

He shrugged and smiled at me charmingly. “Call it curiosity.”

“Dany Heatley suffers from hockey ugly.” I said. “Jose Theodore is more my style.”

“Hockey ugly? What the hell is hockey ugly?” He asked curiously.

“Well you know when a guy your age hits the NHL he’s usually kind of cute in that fresh out of high school kind of way.” I explained. “I mean as long as they aren’t butt ugly like Scott Hanan, a lot of girls are going to think that you’re cute. But being in the NHL and not wearing a full face mask means that even if you wear a shield that you’re going to get hit in the face with a puck or a stick or someone’s fists eventually, it’s kind of inevitable when you think about it.”

Sidney nodded in understanding. “It’s part of the game though.” He pointed out. “If you wear a full shield, even in the Q, guys think that you’re weak. I had to wear one for awhile this year because I took a stick to the mouth and I got it off as soon as possible.”

I nodded. “I get that, and I understand why guys won’t wear them. It’s the same reason why guys don’t like to dance or cheer, even if they’re good at it. Someone is going to call them a pussy or whatever. But….” I said slowly. “The end result are a bunch of nasty scars and shit all over your face. A couple of broken noses or bones in your face and a few lost teeth and the next thing you know, you’ve got hockey ugly.”

I paused, trying to think of an example. “Have you ever seen like, a picture of Mats Sudin in the early 90’s? Like when he had that soup endorsement?”

“Mats Sudin had a soup endorsement?” Sidney looked at me his eyebrows raised looking incredulous.

I elbowed him playfully. “Told you that you were too young for me hun.” I said with a grin. “If you can’t even remember the Mats Sudin’s Chunky Soup commercials then you definitely won’t remember things like He-Man and She-Ra.” I said shaking my head sadly.

“But I have seen a picture of Mats from like, his early days.” Sidney said, encouraging me to continue.

“Well then look at him now!” I said forcefully. “I mean, I’ll admit that male pattern baldness has not helped his cause any, but he went from this adorable Swedish boy ten year ago to this, well, Frankenstien-ish creature that he is now.”

Sidney laughed. “I admit that Mats face has seen better days.” He said. “But I never knew that people referred to it as ‘hockey ugly’.”

I shrugged with a grin. “Well that’s the cause of it isn’t it?”

He laughed. “I guess it is. That and male pattern baldness.”

I giggled. “Well take my advice hun.” I said as I started jogging away again. “If you want a super model wife, get her soon.”

“Hey wait up.” Sidney said, jogging along side with me easily. “And who said I wanted a super model wife?” He asked. “I don’t think I’ve ever said anything about it. In fact, I think my Mom would serve my head on a platter if I did.”

I chuckled. “Your Mom sounds like my kind of woman.” I told him. “As to the super model thing, I mean, Sheldon Souray married a former Baywatch babe. I thought all hockey players wanted the best looking girl they could get their hands on. Look at Janet Gretzky or well, any other hockey wife.”

Sidney shook his head. “If I’ve learned anything in the past couple of years, watching guys on my team going after the most gorgeous girl available is that she only wants him because he’s a hockey player and makes money and that he only wants her because she’s gorgeous. My parents actually love each other and were in love with each other when they got married. I want that someday.”

“So you’re saying you want an ugly girl?” I couldn’t help but tease him a little more. I was probably having the most fun I’d had since I got here. The media people didn’t lie. He was a genuinely nice guy.

Sidney shuddered. “Of course not.” He said with a grin. “What I’m saying is I want a girl who would still want me if I never played a single NHL game. My Dad never did you know, but he was a Montrèal Canadiens draft pick.”

“I know.” I said, breathing a little hard now as I worked to keep up with him. He was definitely in far better shape then I was. “It’s kind of hard not to know, the Canadian media really seems to like you from some reason, though I’m not quite sure why.”

Sidney grinned down at me. “You mean they need a reason other then my talent, my charm and my boyish good looks?” He asked, picking up the pace even more.

“They probably don’t know that you’re really an asshole.” I replied, really breathing hard now.

“Oh come on Darryl.” He said laughing. “This is good for us.”

“Fuck you.” I informed him. “I haven’t gone for a run since April.” I told him. “And that was the first one in over a year. I am out of shape. You on the other hand, just finished playing in the fricking Memorial Cup. You are probably in the best shape of your life, injury or not.”

He slowed. “I don’t know.” He said with a wicked little grin. “I personally like your shape just fine.”

“Good.” I replied slowing my pace. “Then we don’t have to run so damn fast.”

Sidney chuckled. “I suppose.” He said. “But if you are going to keep running here at night then we should run together.”

I shrugged. “So long as you promise to scare the crap out of me again, I suppose we could.” I said. “Just don’t tell Erin. I don’t need that kind of crap at work.”

“Ruin my fun.” He replied.

I shrugged. “If you keep insisting on acting as my security guard then you’re going to have to learn that I am really, really good at spoiling your fun.”

“You live in the apartments on the other side of the park right?” He asked.

“Yep, building 18.” I said.

“Well then….” He said. “I’ll meet you in the parking lot tomorrow night at 7 then D… don’t keep me waiting.”

No comments: