Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Chapter 28 - How I Spent My Summer Vacation

When I throw a party Ms. Kulak, I really throw a party. It was the talk of the town the next day, at least among the teenage set. Catrine and Claire were extremely pissed off to find themselves kicked out, but as Sidney likes to say, I am a bitch. It was my one chance for a little revenge, and petty though it was, I took it. The funniest part for me was that my cousin Phil and Catrine’s older sister Isabelle chose to stay even though I made it perfectly clear that Catrine was not welcome.

Actually that wasn’t quite as funny as what happened the day after the party (which was one of the best I’d ever thrown, and Ms. Kulak, you know I know how to throw a party). The next day most of the young people in town slept off their hangovers instead of going to school and the administration at the school held a meeting with the coaching staff of the Ocèanic to decide what had to be done. (Because apparently something clearly needed to be done if young people would rather sleep off the pain of the night before then go to school).

Mark told me about it later that day, after a team meeting, and we laughed, because the coaching staff did the smart thing. They put all the blame on me, and, since I wasn’t a student in Quèbec technically nor was I part of the Ocèanic organization there was nothing that the school or the Nics could do about my outlandish ways.

Everyone had to laugh about that. Mark, Sidney, Eric and I thought it was absolutely hilarious. Much to the anger of the administration, the school’s hands were tied. And everyone in Rimouski knew that my Tante was one of the most eccentric women alive. Calling her would have been useless.

However, the Ocèanic brass decided that it would be best if Sidney and I were out of town for awhile… after all pissing off the school is on their list of things that aren’t cool. So after Thursday’s practice, Sidney and I took off for Cole Harbour for our visit with Sid’s parents.

It was a longer drive then I had anticipated, being from the prairies and being used to long drives, I didn’t think there was so much to the Eastern part of the country. Sid and I took turns driving, and Sid drove as we headed into Cole Harbour since he knew where the hell we were going. “If your Dad lets you we should go to Europe for a little while this summer.”
Sidney looked at me oddly. “Europe?”

I shrugged. “Mom and I go to Paris and Venice every year before my parents ship me off to the ranch. Mom drinks and fucks the hotel employees and I drink, party and shop… mainly shop. Then Dad has the house to himself back in Airdrie and the secretary moves in so he can has easier access. Either that or they just live in his apartment in the city and he remodels something in the house to excuse his absence.”

“I think I’m going to a couple of NHL training camps.” Sidney said, killing that idea. “Maybe while I’m at camp you and your Mom can go.” He said, seeing my disappointment. “Then you and I can get together for the CHL awards.”

“I understand.” I told him, even though I totally didn’t.

“Nickie this has nothing to do with not wanting to go with you to Europe.” He told me. “Remember the NHL is going to lockout the players this fall. If I head over to Europe, even just for a vacation people are going to see it as something more. I am going to play for Rimouski again in the fall and I don’t want people speculating.”

That made sense. “I forgot about the lockout.” I said. “I was just thinking about having fun with my boyfriend.” I told him. “I keep forgetting that you’re the mother fucking phenom and that the NHLPA, the NHL, Hockey Canada and the whole fucking hockey world is all over every decision you make.”

Sidney shrugged. “I’m sorry Nickie, but that’s just the way it is.” He said. “And it’s how its always going to be. Next year is my draft year and the eyes of the whole hockey world are going to be on Canada’s major junior programs, and guys like me in particular. You just have to get used to it Nickie.”

“I might have to get used to it.” I said petulantly. “But that doesn’t mean that I have to like it.”
Sidney laughed. “No you don’t have to like it, but that’s how it’s going to be.” We pulled into the driveway of a modest house. Nothing like what I lived in. In fact it looked like the whole house was probably the size of our kitchen, dinning room and great room. “Here we are.” He said needlessly.

I nodded, and got out of the car. “Damn I’m stiff.” I muttered.

“I’ll deal with that later….” Sidney whispered seductively in my ear as he gently massaged my aching shoulders.

Opening the trunk Sidney grabbed my bags and his single bag. He didn’t even comment. He was used to the fact that I had a ton of stuff now. “You’ll have to grab the make up kit Nickie.” He told me. “Oh and umm, maybe hide the rye and the gin.”

I laughed and covered the alcohol with a blanket. “I guess I should leave the flask out here too, huh phenom?”

“Probably a good idea.” He said chuckling.

“How was the drive?” Trina called from the porch.

“Fine Mom.” Sidney said, kissing his Mom on the cheek. “We took turns driving. It was just fine.”

“How are you Nicole?” She asked.

“Fine thanks Mrs. Crosby.” I replied with a smile.

“I hear that you caused a little trouble with a party you threw.” She said.

I sent a horrified gaze Sid’s way. Did she know that I threw the party at Sid and Eric’s? Forcing a smile I said. “It’s not my fault that people were stupid and didn’t go to school the next day.” I shrugged. “Sidney and I each managed to finish two assignments the next day, and all the Nics who were supposed to be at school were. It was just other people who were dumb.”

“I hear there was a lot of alcohol there.” She said. “Most of you are underage. We don’t mind Sidney drinking from time to time but the playoffs are coming….”

I shrugged. “The Ocèanic brass decided to lay the blame on me for the alcohol Mrs. Crosby.” I told her honestly. “But I’m only 16, there’s no way that I could manage to get that much alcohol. I don’t even have a fake ID.” I lied, though the part about the ID was true. I’d been forced to leave that at home, because Dad took it away from me and told me I could have it back when I got home, but he didn’t want to risk me getting arrested on the other side of the country where he couldn’t cover it up. “Honestly I have a feeling that my cousin Philippe was more to blame then anyone.”

“Your cousin?” She asked.

“Yeah my Mom’s Aunt… that’s who I live with, her son grandson Philippe, who is like, my Dad’s cousin’s kid, he’s 19, he showed up with his girlfriend.”

“Maybe you should talk to your Aunt.” She said with a pursed lip frown.

I shrugged. “Phil’s Mom and my Aunt had some kind of argument 10 years ago. They aren’t on speaking terms. Plus Phil’s in University in Quèbec City. He’s not around much.”

“Yeah Mom.” Sidney said. “It’s not Nickie’s fault.” He lied smoothly. “I mean, the school called the coaching staff and tried to blame them, and they looked for someone they could blame who they couldn’t punish and who couldn’t get in trouble with the school… Nickie’s convenient for that.”

“Well then, come on inside and we’ll get you settled.” She said with a smile. “Sidney you know where your room is, and I’ll show Nickie the guestroom.”

Sidney rolled his eyes. “Why don’t I show her Mom? I have all of her stuff.”

“Sure.” She said, although I knew she wasn’t sure that she wanted Sid and I to be alone on her watch. “Go ahead.”

We headed past the living room and down a hallway. “My room’s in the basement.” He told me. “So I guess Mom is making sure that we’re far apart.”

I shrugged. “This time it’s only for three nights.” I pointed out. “Then we’re back in Rimouski.” I snuggled close to him. “And back to our own bed.” I said turning my head up, inviting his kiss.

Sidney of course, didn’t disappoint me. “You’re right.” He mumbled, his lips still on mine. “But I hate not being able to cuddle with you.”

I giggled. “And what’s going to happen when you’re in the NHL?” I asked. “’Cause I don’t think you get to sleep with your girlfriend on road trips.”

“I’ll survive them the way I survive them now.” He told me. “By calling you in the middle of the night and text messaging you constantly.” He paused. “In fact, I think the only roommate I can have is someone whose just as in love with his girlfriend as I am with mine… no one else will be able to put up with me.”

I laughed. “None of that, what happens on the road stays on the road stuff for you?”

“Well not for me.” He said. “I would never ever rat out one of my boys though.”

“I would never expect you too.” I said understandingly. I paused then I added. “Unless I really, really, really hate their girlfriend.”

Sidney laughed. “Deal.” He said hooking my pinkie in his.

“Ima hold you to that Crosby.” I said eyebrows raised.

“I wouldn’t have said it if I didn’t expect you to hold me to it.” He said, putting down my bags on the bed. “Now I’m going to give you a few minutes while I go reacquaint myself with my room.”

I shook my head. “Only you Crosby.” I said pulling him towards me and kissing him softly. “Only you.”

“Well I guess I should go.” He said, his arms still wrapped tightly around me.

“Probably.” I said snuggling closer to him.

“You make leaving you really hard brat.” He murmured into my hair.

“Good.” I whispered into his chest. “Because I never, ever want you to leave me.”

“I never, ever plan on it.” He replied.

“Good.”

“Sidney!” His Dad’s voice called. “Are you two going to hide in that bedroom all night?”

“Do you want an honest answer Dad?” Sidney called back with a laugh.

“No.” His Dad replied, appearing in the door as Sidney and I separated. “There are some things that even I don’t want to know.” He said. “Now why don’t you go show Nickie the basement?”

I looked at Sidney oddly. His Dad didn’t want us alone in the guest bedroom all night, but he did want Sidney to take me downstairs and show me the basement? Where his bedroom was? It didn’t really make sense unless Mr. Crosby was trying to get around Mrs. Crosby again or something. But Sidney lit up. “Sure Dad.” He turned to me with an excited smile. “Wait t’ill you see this.”

“See what?” I asked as Sidney led me downstairs into the basement.

“This!” He said excitedly.

I looked around. The floor of the basement had been painted white, with red and blue lines and a net at one end. “Neat.” I said.

“Yeah my Dad did it when I was little.” Sidney said with a grin. “This is where I learned to shoot and I used to practice for hours down here.”

He looked so sweet and innocent. I reached up and kissed him on the cheek. “You’re still just a kid inside huh phenom?”

He smiled boyishly. “I guess I am.” He said. “I’ve seen you shop Nickie. You look like a little kid in a candy store at the mall.”

I smiled a little sadly. “That’s the only time after Frankie died that I really got to act like a little kid, so I took full advantage.”

“Damnit Nickie.” He muttered pulling me into the safety and comfort of his embrace. “I hate upsetting you brat. I hate it when you smile sadly like that. I just want you to be happy Nickie.”

I smiled up at him, radiant in his love. “You make me happy always Sidney.” I told him firmly. “Even when I’m talking about things that make me sad.”

No comments: