Sunday, April 27, 2008

Part 2 - Nobody's Perfect

“Drew are you watching this?” Dion’s voice called excitedly from the living room.

“Clearly I am not watching this since I’m in the kitchen.” I called, rolling my eyes. “Why?”

“You seriously HAVE to see this Drew!” Dion called excitedly. “I can’t believe you’re missing this!”

“I’ll be there in a second D.” I replied as I poured myself a drink and took the cap off D’s beer. “Unless of course you don’t want a drink.”

Sadly the Rebels had been knocked out of the playoffs earlier by Andy, Getter and the rest of the Hitmen. Who had then lost in 7 to the Brandon Wheat Kings (who’d knocked Reggie’s PA team out of the playoffs in the same round as Calgary had done away with my Rebels). So Dion and I enjoyed watching Sidney’s games online.

“They aren’t going to give a replay Drew.” Dion pointed out. “And in case you didn’t care, Sidney just scored.”

“What?” I demanded, rushing over to my computer. “Already?”

D rolled his eyes. “Have you not watched the boy play before?” He asked. “He can score from anywhere.”

“Well I know that.” I said defensively. “I just didn’t think that a strong defensive team like the Mooseheads would already have a defense breakdown. I thought it would take Sid a little while longer to find the holes.”

“Well apparently you thought wrong.” D said with an annoying smile. “Because they just scored again.”

I finally turned my attention away from my drink and to the computer screen. “What the fuck do you mean they just scored again? Who scored?” I demanded my eyes darting over the screen trying to find Sidney’s number 87 jersey.

“Some defenseman.” D said with a shrug. “It was a nice shot actually, but not as good as mine.”

“Naturally.” I replied, rolling my eyes again. “Honestly D, you’d think that you know by now that you’re the number one d-man in the CHL.”

“Oh, I’m well aware of it.” Dion said loftily. “I am just ensuring that other people recognize my near perfection when they see it.”

I shook my head, rolled my eyes and took a sip of my drink. “Drink your beer.” I commanded him. “Maybe that will help you grow up or something.”

D snorted. “Yeah sure Drew. You’re one to talk. Who’s half in love with a 17-year-old?” He taunted me.

I kicked him. “Shut up.”

“Are you saying that you aren’t half in love with Sidney?” Dion asked, his eyebrows raised.

“Shut up Phaneuf.” I snarled.

“So I should call Sid later and tell him that you aren’t half in love with him?” Dion asked, teasing me mercilessly.

I shrugged. “Well you can do that if you want Dion. I’m not half in love with him and he knows it.”

D raised his eyebrows in surprise. “What do you mean?”

“I mean, Dion, that I’m completely, totally head over heels in love with the boy.” I said softly. “And he is very well aware of it too.”

D looked at me and I immediately blushed. Dion and I have known each other for a long time but never, in that whole time, have I admitted to being in love with someone. “Really?” He asked, sounding surprised. “I didn’t think that Drew Whitney was capable of falling in love.” He joked.

“And most people don’t think that you’re capable of smiling.” I replied with a shrug. “So we’re even.”

“Are you serious?” He demanded. “You aren’t just fucking with me?”

I nodded. “Dead serious D.” I told him. “I knew after Grand Forks that I loved him. Now I know that I’m in love with him too.”

“Then why are you and Aaron still fucking?” D demanded.

I shrugged. “Sidney’s out east getting head from every girl who offers from what Eric said on the phone the other night.” I told him honestly. “So I really don’t feel that guilty getting mine.”

“You do too feel guilty.” Dion accused me. “Why else would you try and keep the whole Aaron thing such a secret?”

“Because he doesn’t want all of Red Deer to know that he’s fucking the town whore?” I replied with a shrug. “I don’t know. Aaron’s not big on people knowing that we’re still fucking, so its just easier if we keep it secret.”

The announcer on TV started screaming and D and I turned our attention back to the screen. “Fuck.” I muttered. “I’ve missed every goal so far. Who scored that one anyway?” I asked.

Dion glanced at the screen. “Looks like Mark Tobin.” He said. “But I don’t know for sure.”

“I thought Halifax was supposed crush Rimouski with their defense.” I said. “Thus far I am totally under whelmed.”

“Except you haven’t actually SEEN any of the goals, so it’s not like you’ve actually SEEN any of the defensive breakdowns.” D pointed out petulantly.

“You’re just upset ‘cause your ass is sitting at my place watching hockey instead of out on the ice playing it.” I teased him.

D hit me playfully and went to grab another beer. I watched the game, taking a sip of my drink. “Holy fuck D!” I cried. “They scored again!”

“Who?” D called from the kitchen.

“Jean-Sébastien Côté.” I replied.

D came back and we watched the rest of the first period in relative silence. Sidney managed an assist towards the end of the period on a Mario Scalzo Jr. power play goal, and the Nics were leading 5-0 going into the break. I couldn’t help but giggle.

“What’s so funny?” Dion asked with a smile as we topped up our drinks.

“Well you know how coaches always say that defense wins championships?” I asked.

“Yeah.” D said nodding. “It’s one of coach’s favourite sayings.”

“Well I think the Ocèanics are totally proving that offense does a pretty damn good job of it too.” I said.

“Calm down Drew.” D said cautiously. “This is just the first game.”

I shrugged and stuck my tongue out at him. “Fine. Take the wind out of my sails.”

“Done and done.” D replied with a smile.

“Jerk.” I muttered.

The second period was much the same as the first. The Nics came out flying and managed 2 goals before the five minute mark of the period. Sid managed another assist on another Scalzo goal and Danny Stewart opened the scoring in the period from Patrick Coulombe and Mark Tobin. Zbynek Hrdel added another one for the Nics, making the score 8-0 before the Mooseheads finally managed a goal towards the end of the period.

The Ocèanics came out slow in the third and gave up 3 goals before the 5 minute mark. “Come on boys.” I muttered after the fourth unanswered Mooseheads goal. “They game isn’t over yet.”

“You can say that again.” D muttered. “They need to fucking focus.”

“No really?” I asked sarcastically. “And here I thought all they had to do was sit back for the next fifteen minutes and hope like hell the Mooseheads don’t come back.”

“Quit being a bitch Drew.” Dion said, rolling his eyes. “You know full well what I mean.”

I shrugged. D and I knew each other well enough that we knew that we could snap at each other and it didn’t really matter. I took a sip of my drink and turned my attention back to the game. Rimouski managed to tighten up the D after allowing those three quick goals and it looked like Halifax had as well.

Except for a power play goal that they gave up to Danny Stewart around the thirteen minute mark, the rest of the third was kind of blah. Sidney had taken a penalty before the Stewart goal for being stupid in D’s words. Towards the end of the game, Sidney got into it with one of the Moosehead players (who was probably trying to give his team a boost after the pounding they were taking) who decided to play who’s the bigger man with him.

I wished Sidney would back away from things like that, but knowing him as well as I did, I knew that he wouldn’t back down. He didn’t want to be labeled a baby. No more then he had wanted to be labeled a hot dog over a year ago. I sighed as I watched him go to the penalty box.

D, however, grinned and raised his bottle. “Two skilled players who know when to fight.” He said happily.

I tapped my glass against his bottle. “Cheers I suppose.”

No comments: