Sunday, April 27, 2008

Chapter 18 - Some Kind of Wonderful

Two days later, Sidney celebrated his 18th birthday. He was disappointed that he wasn’t in Quebec… he had been looking forward to getting drunk. I felt kind of bad for him, but I felt worse for both us of when we didn’t have any time to be alone. So Sidney didn’t get what he wanted for his birthday, and trust me, he was bitter about it.

From LA we flew to Pittsburgh so that Sidney could go to the Pens rookie orientation camp – basically they warn the guys about all the temptations that they are going to face as pro athletes, do physicals, and let them skate a little. Sidney was staying with Mario during this, and it was decided that Sid would live with Mario when the season started. In the meantime, I was staying in a hotel and was kept busy with work from Pat, who was still in LA.

When the rookie orientation camp was done, I flew out with Sidney back to Halifax. From there he was going to Rimouski for the Ocèanics training camp. We sat down in our seats with a sigh. “Finally.” Sidney said with a relieved sigh. “I thought we were never going to be alone.”

“You call this alone?” I said with a snort. “We’re surrounded by people.”

“But most of them don’t know who I am.” Sidney replied. “Or if they do, they don’t care. Plus they are not reporters, which is great, because I can’t fucking stand the press sometimes. I didn’t have a second to breathe in Pittsburgh.”

I sighed and put my head on his shoulder. “I know honey and I’m sorry.”

He dropped a soft kiss on my forehead. “It’s okay Dare… its not like its your fault or anything, but I can’t wait to get home. I don’t know how I’m going to do that for an 82 game season.”

“You’ll manage Crosby.” I said confidently.

“Thanks Dare.” He replied, dropping a kiss on my forehead. “I’m going to need you to get through all of this.”

“I’ll be there.” I told him honestly. “I’m only going to be a phone call away.”

“Good.” Sidney said softly, hugging me around the shoulders.

We let go of each other after that, because even though we wanted to do nothing more then touch each other, there were some people on the plane who knew who Sidney was and were requesting autographs and stuff. Most of Sidney’s flight was spent signing things until the Captain of the plane and the staff finally put a stop to it. But not before they asked for autographs themselves.

The media was waiting when we changed planes in Toronto and again when we got to Halifax. I hung on the sidelines, waiting for Troy and Trina to usher Sidney out of the airport. I met them at the truck and got in, hoping that Sidney and I would finally be able to enjoy some much needed time alone.

Except that that wasn’t in the plans. We went to dinner at the Crosby’s and then Troy told Sidney that he was expected to report to Ocèanic training camp on Wednesday. “Already?” Sidney said when he was told.

Troy’s smile was amused. “Yes, already.”

Sidney sighed. “Can Dare at least come with me?” He asked.

“I don’t know if that’s a good idea Sidney.” I said hesitantly.

“Why not?” Troy said with a shrug. “Unless you’ve got other plans. I don’t think Pat has anything for you to do right now.”

“Please Dare?” Sidney said, looking at me with puppy dog eyes. “Please?”

“Don’t look at me like that Crosby.” I said, glaring at him. “It is so not fair.”

“If it makes you come with me it is totally fair.” He replied. “Besides…” He added. “The 25th of August is going to be here before you know it, and you’re going to have to go to work and then who knows when I’ll be able to see you again?”

I sighed. As always, he had a point and this time it was a very good one too. “If its okay with your parents… and Pat, then I’ll go with you.”

“Well its fine with us.” Troy said with a wink at Sidney. “As for Pat, leave him to me.”

“I don’t think I’ve ever had anyone’s parents like me this much.” I said, dumbfounded. “Especially not a guy’s. Aren’t you scared I’ll corrupt him or something?”

This time it was Trina who chuckled. “I’m not as naïve as my son seems to think I am Darryl. I know that any corrupting has been done long ago, there’s no point in worrying now.”

I raised my eyebrows at Sidney, who was blushing fiercely. “He’s so cute when he blushes.”

Sidney glared at me. “Whose side are you on anyway?” He asked.

I shrugged and smiled, and continued to eat my meal. Two days later I was standing around la Colisée watching Sidney on the ice. They weren’t pushing him very hard at all from what I could tell, but I guess they knew that he wasn’t actually coming back to the team. He was here for a workout and for the chance to be of legal drinking age somewhere before he headed south again.

That night we went for dinner with the guys who were still around from last year… Mark Tobin, Patrick Coulombe, François Bolduc and Jean-Sébastien Côté. They all seemed like really nice guys. Some of them were even cute. The guys reminisced about last year and talked about almost winning the Memorial Cup.

They caught up on all the latest news on the other guys from last year’s team, some of whom were in the AHL, some were going to NHL training camps, while others had yet to find teams. In all of this, Sidney hadn’t bothered to really introduce me. Guys seemed to forget niceties like that from time to time.

Finally I decided to interrupt the conversation. “Since Sidney apparently isn’t going to introduce me.” I said elbowing him in the side with an amused smile. “I’m Darryl Korulyk.”

Sidney blushed deep red. “Sorry Dare.” He muttered. “Guys, this is Darryl, Dare, this Mark, Patrick, François and Jean-Sébastien.”

“Nice to meet you all.” I said with a smile as I shook hands with each of them.

“How long have you been keeping her hidden away?” Mark teased him.

“She my, umm….” Sidney glanced at me awkwardly.

“I’m his agent’s assistant for the summer.” I answered smoothly, knowing that the fact that I didn’t call myself his girlfriend was going to irritate him.

“She’s also my girlfriend.” Sidney said immediately, not one to disappoint me. He paused realizing what I’d just gotten him to say. “Smart ass.” He muttered.

I shrugged with a grin and stole one of the fries off his plate. “I’m a very good girlfriend too.” I told the guys with a self-satisfied smile. “I can make him do whatever I want him to. It’s a talent really.”

Everyone chuckled, except Sidney who glared at me. “I walked right into that didn’t I?”

I nodded with a self-satisfied smirk on my face. “Yep pretty much.”

He shook his head. “What can I say? She knows how my mind works better then I do.” Sid told his friends with a sigh.

“Well it’s not like you are that hard to figure out.” Patrick said in his marvelous French accent.

Everyone laughed. Patrick was cute with a capital “C”. Sidney reached over and held my hand when he saw me contemplating Patrick. It wasn’t like I would ever do anything with him – I’d just met him and I was with someone else, but he was definitely nice to look at. I squeezed Sid’s hand in mine… he had no reason to be worried.

“So what’s going on tonight?” Sidney asked, stretching his arm across the back of the booth and wrapping it around my shoulders.

“We have training camp tomorrow.” Mark replied. “Some of us actually have to do some work while we’re here man.”

Sidney snorted. “Your spot is wrapped up and you know it. Come on. I’m only here for a little while.” He pointed out. “I just want to have some fun.”

At that I snorted. “You just want to get wasted Crosby.” I pointed out. “And then, well, get lucky. If you’re lucky.” I added with a wicked grin.

Sidney grinned wickedly at me, his smile completely suggestive. “You’re right, that’s exactly what I want to do.”

I shrugged. “Well just be careful not to drink too much Sidney.” I told him, sounding innocent. “I mean, we wouldn’t want you to get so drunk that you failed after all. You’ve only been wanting this since we met.”

“You mean you two haven’t?” Mark asked, his eyebrows raised.

“I don’t do guys who aren’t legal.” I informed Mark with a shrug. “Call it self-preservation if you’d like, but a girl has to have rules.”

Everyone chuckled and the guys gave Sidney some sly, knowing glances. I turned to the waitress. “I need a muff diver.” I told her, with a wink at Sidney.

The other guys all snickered. “What’s a muff diver?” Sidney asked.

“It’s like a blowjob.” I replied with a shrug. “Only for guys.”

“Umm okay.” Sidney said, looking confused.

The waitress brought the shot and looked at me questioningly. I grinned and sat on the table as she handed it to me as I placed it between my thighs. “Dive in Crosby.” I told him with a wicked grin as the waitress added the whipped cream.

I was wearing a pair of jean capris, so it wasn’t like Sidney would be seeing anything I didn’t want him to see just yet or anything like that. But it was the closest to touching me there that he had ever gotten. Sidney glanced at me, one eyebrow raised before diving in in and taking the shot, his arms reaching around my waist to grab my ass as he balanced himself. Successfully grabbing the shot in his mouth he downed it, coming up and kissing me firmly on the lips as he did so, his tongue sneaking into my mouth.

“This is going to be a night that neither of us are going to forget for a very, very, very long time Dare.” He whispered licking a trail down my neck as his friends hooted and hollered, “And for only the very best of reasons.”

No comments: