Thursday, April 17, 2008

Chapter 21 - How I Spent My Summer Vacation

As soon as dinner was over and Sidney and I were alone in the kitchen where we’d offered to do clean up I demanded. “Did you know that Bianca has been calling your Mom telling her about what’s going on in your life out here?”

“What?” Sidney asked, looking completely surprised.

“She’s been phoning your Mom to tell her who and what you’ve been doing out here. It’s a good thing that you actually told your parents about us, because if you hadn’t done it before she had, who knows what BS she would have fed your Mom.” I said angrily, now really irritated with Bianca. “I mean, I bet part of your Mom’s attitude after this morning had something to do with whatever she told her.”

Sidney pulled me into his arms into a tight hug. He kissed my hair. “Fuck.” He murmured. “Why the fuck didn’t I think about that?” He muttered. “How the fuck did she even get my parents number? That’s what I’d really like to know.”

I sighed. I wasn’t getting agitated over nothing and we both knew it. If Bianca was watching as carefully as she appeared to be, Mrs. Crosby would know immediately after she left if Sid or I spent the night at each other’s places. We shouldn’t have to hide that shit, it just wasn’t something either of us wanted our parents knowing. “Sid this is fucking crap. Someone has to set that girl straight.”

“I tried!” He said insistently, thinking that I meant that I wanted him to set her straight again. “I mean, I told her, point blank, that we had never really been together. I told her two dates didn’t make us a couple. I told her that just because I liked to fuck her didn’t mean that I actually liked her.” He paused. “Nickie, sweetie, I don’t think I can say anything harsher then that.”

I sighed. “Sid, I don’t need you to tell her, that’s not what I meant.” I paused. “What that fucking bitch needs is a fucking ass kicking.”

“Nickie!” Sidney said shocked.

“No phenom.” I snapped. “Don’t try and fucking tell me to calm down or whatever.” I said. “I didn’t really fight to keep what was mine before. I let all my friends back home go, except Getter, whose kept emailing me, and I don’t even bother to try and talk to my parents anymore. But this time I am going to fight to keep what’s mine, and that’s you.”

“Nickie, brat, I am yours. Your mine.” Sidney said, hugging me tightly. “You don’t have to fight anyone to keep that.”

“Well someone needs to show that girl her fucking place.” I said angrily, pulling away from him. “She’s already trying to turn your Mom against me, what the fuck will she try next?”

Sidney ran an agitated hand through his hair. “Nickie, I don’t know why you’re making such a big deal out of this.” He said. “I mean, I’m with you. Everyone knows it. No one believes ANYTHING that she says about you, me, or us.”

“Nobody except your mother.” I muttered.

“That’s what’s bothering you?” Sidney replied looking a little surprised.

“This surprises you?” I replied. “I mean, I didn’t exactly get off on the right foot with your parents Sid. Your Dad is cool with the whole thing, because he knows how it is, but I want your Mom to like me.”

“She likes you.” Sidney tried to sooth me

“No she feels sorry for me.” I replied. “She blames my parents for the way I am, and blames them for the fact that you and I are having sex."

Sidney shrugged. “What’s the big deal?” He asked. “It keeps her off our backs.”

“The big deal Sidney.” I said, thoroughly irritated now. “Is that it is NOT my parent’s fault and I don’t want them to be blamed for the things in my life that aren’t their fault. They aren’t perfect, and I don’t always like them, but they’re still my parents… they’re still the only family I’ve got.”

With a sigh, Sidney wrapped his arms around me. He dropped a kiss on my forehead. “I’m sorry brat.” He whispered. “I know that you love them.”

“I do.” I replied firmly. “And I want your Mom to like me and I don’t want Bianca to fuck that up with her lies.”

“She won’t.” Sidney said firmly, realizing just how much this was upsetting me. “I’ll talk to my Mom… I’ll tell her the truth.” He said taking a deep breath just before he said the word truth.

I snuggled closer. “Thank you sweetie.” I whispered, my arms wrapped tightly around him. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” He replied kissing me.

“I know.” I said with a grin. “Otherwise there’s no way in hell that you’d be telling your Mom that you weren’t exactly a choir boy before you met me.”

“She’s probably going to think that I seduced you.” Sidney said with a groan. “Then I’ll get shit for Bianca and for seducing you.”

“Well phenom, you kind of DID seduce me.” I pointed out. “I mean, I’m not the one who showed up at your bedroom door at six in the morning.”

“No.” He replied with a grin, stroking my cheek softly with his fingers. “You just passed out on my couch and, to my intense surprise looked just as gorgeous unconscious as you did when you were awake.”

I laughed. “It’s hard to believe that you’re the same guy who dismissed me as unimportant the first time we met.”

“I didn’t!” He replied indignant.

“Yes you did. You didn’t even care that Danny was trying to introduce us. You were too busy being adored.” I replied, folding my arms across my chest and sticking my tongue out at him.

He shrugged. “I’m only human brat.” He said. “But the minute you walked away without telling me your name, I had to find out who you were.”

I laughed. “That was the plan phenom.” I told him bluntly. “And you fell for it, hook, line and sinker.”

“And then we fell for each other.” He replied.

“Yes we did.” I said kissing him softly. “But that doesn’t mean that you weren’t too busy being adored to meet me.”

He shrugged again. “Are you going to hold that over me forever?” He asked.

“Naw.” I said grinning at him. “Just, I dunno, for the first five years or so.”

He looked at me oddly and I blushed, realizing that he hadn’t thought that far in the future, even though I most definitely had. “Sorry.” I mutter, going to the sink and busying myself with the dishes.

Almost immediately Sidney’s arms were wrapped tightly around my waist, and his lips were kissing my neck. “Don’t get upset brat.” He said. “I do want to be with you that long… longer actually… I just never really thought about it that much.”

“Really?” I asked, turning to face him. “I mean, you’re not just saying that are you?” I asked. “Because when I hear you say that, I hear, ‘I want to get laid tonight and if I don’t tell my girlfriend what she wants to hear that’s not going to happen’.”

“Nicole you know damn well that if you said that all you wanted to do tonight was cuddle, then I would be cool with that.” He said hugging me tightly. “For a girl who’s as brazen as you are, you never cease to amaze me with how little self-esteem you really have.”

I shrugged, feeling somewhat defeated by his comments. “I’m sorry Sid.” I said, looking at the dishes I was washing as if they were the most interesting thing I’d ever seen. “I just can’t help it. Other then you the only guy I ever really dated for more then a couple of weeks was Coby, and all he ever wanted was sex.” I told him. “Even though we never did it.”

“I am not Coby.” Sidney said forcefully. “Thanks to you, I’m not even the same guy I was in January. I know that people are against us… there are a lot of girls who are out to convince BOTH of us not to trust each other, but we can do this Nickie… if we trust each other.”

I sighed. “I know phenom, but its so hard, especially since your parents don’t like me.” I paused and corrected myself. “Since your Mom thinks I’m a slut and that my parents are horrible parents.”

“You have to admit your parents aren’t the greatest Nickie.” Sidney said.

I sighed. “I know that Sid. But they’re all I’ve got.” I paused. “Plus things weren’t always this way. It was super traumatic on everyone when Frankie died.”

Sidney sighed. “I know Nickie, I know.” He said. “I just have so much on my mind right now… I don’t have time to worry about this. I mean, we’re in a push for playoff standing, and I’ve got the media all over me over whether or not I’ll break this record.” He ran a hand impatiently through his hair. “I love you Nickie, but I can’t deal with this kind of drama right now.”

I glared at him and threw down the dishtowel I had been using. “Fuck you Crosby.” I snapped. “I am not doing this just to ruin your fucking hockey career.”

He sighed, looking a little exasperated. “That’s not what I said Nickie. Don’t put words in my mouth.”

“Fine.” I snapped. “You don’t have to deal with this right now. I’ll take care of it.”

“Nickie…” He said looking at me carefully. “Don’t do anything stupid.”

“What the hell makes you think that Ima do something stupid?” I replied.

“Because you’re pissed off.” Sidney said, trying to give me a hug. “You’re mad at me for being worried about the records and shit, and you’re mad at your parents in general, but that doesn't mean that you like hearing that they’re bad parents, which they are, and then you get mad at anyone who says anything negative about them. Face it Nickie, you’re angry at the world.”

“And you’re not?” I replied. “I mean, you’re the fucking next big thing in this country and it means you’ve got next to no privacy. You have to sneak out of the dressing room some nights just to hang out with me.”

Sidney sighed again. “I’m not angry about that Nickie. I don’t necessarily like it. But that’s the way I’m marketed. I know what I have to do to be successful, both on and off the ice. Having a big fan base is important for a guy like me.”

“More important then the fact that the girl you used to fuck is talking smack about your girlfriend to your mother apparently.” I grumbled.

“Why are we doing this?” Sidney demanded.

“Doing what?” I asked, feeling nervous.

“Arguing over this.” He said. “It’s stupid and it’s just what Bianca would WANT us to be doing. Usually we’re both smarter then this.”

I sighed. “We usually are. I guess we’re both just nervous.” I said, cuddling into his ready embrace.

“What are you nervous about?” He asked softly, kissing my temple. “You’ve already been through your baptism by fire with my parents, and you’re still alive to tell about it.”

I sighed. “I’m nervous about the season ending.” I said. “I’m nervous about going home… I have to eventually don’t you think?”

“But first you are going to come with to visit me in Cole Harbour.” Sidney said. “Plus we still have the playoffs to go, and when you do go home, maybe I can come with you for a little while.” He said. “We’ll cross the bridge when we get to the river Nickie. Right now I just want to enjoy being with you.”

“And breaking records.” I said with a grin.

He smiled back at me. “Of course. Two things I want to do for years.”

I giggled. “You want to do me and break records for years?”

“So long as you keep your hot body.” Sidney said with a grin, realizing how two-edged his comment was, pinching my ass. “As for the records thing, there’s no way I would ever want to stop doing that.”

I stuck my tongue out at him. “Well if that’s how its going to be then I better get a “lost hot body” out clause too.”

Sidney laughed and kissed my nose. “It’s agreed then. We both have a, “you-lost-your-sexy-body” easy-out clause.”

“Deal.” I said, reaching out to shake his hand.

“You know that this would actually never work right?” He said, a little nervously.

“Why not?” I asked, looking up at him with wide, innocent eyes.

He kissed me fiercely… a hard passionate kiss. “Because brat, I love you too damn much to ever let you go.”

No comments: