Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Girl Next Door Chapter 35

The next day after school, Kate had hockey practice. So, she went home, grabbed her gear, and left, picking up the three boys as usual. Practice went well; they had another one on Wednesday, and then the state semi-final game Friday night, and if they won that, the state championship game the following afternoon. After she dropped all of the boys off at home after practice, someone called her on her cell.
“Hello?” she asked, not having looked at the caller ID.
“Hey!” a voice said.
“Bobby!” she said excitedly. “Haven’t talked to you in awhile! How are you?”
“Pretty good,” he told her. “How about you? Your mom called and told me about hockey! State champs this weekend, huh?”
“I am so excited!” she squealed. “So ready for it. How’s Nikki?” Kate asked, inquiring about his wife, Nikki, who he had married at the end of November.
“She’s good, we’re doing well,” he told her. “So, guess where USA Hockey’s sending me down to later this week?”
“Where?” she asked him.
“Pittsburgh,” he told her.
“You serious?” she asked him.
“Very serious Katie,” he told her. “I have to check out some kid from Upper St. Clair on Thursday, is that close to you?”
“About half an hour away,” she told him. “I’ll take you down there. You’re staying with us, aren’t you?”
“Of course I am!” he told her. “I called Tom and Sarah about two weeks ago to ask them if I could, and they said yes. It just so happens to go along with you playing in states!”
“That is so cool you’re coming down here! Is Nikki coming too?” she asked.
“She’s coming in on Friday morning, she wouldn’t miss this!” he told her.
“When you coming in?” she asked.
“Wednesday night,” he replied. “Staying through Monday morning. I convinced USA Hockey just today to switch my flight around, so I could see you play! And your mom invited us to go to the Penguins game with you guys on Sunday night, and I couldn’t resist that.”
“Ahh!!! I’m so glad you’re coming! We haven’t seen you for awhile!” she squealed. “Neal’s coming home this week too, and Allison’s coming along. This is going to be so much fun. I just hope we win!”
“You’ll win,” he assured her. “I’m sure of it!”
“Hey I gotta go, I just got back home, what time does your flight get in on Wednesday?” she asked him.
“Six-thirty,” he told her.
“I’ll be there, I’ll meet you at security,” she told him.
“Great, see you then!” he said.
“Bye!”
*****
By Wednesday, Sidney had left for his two-game road trip, and Kate’s team had had their last practice, right after school that day. Kate went home, and did her homework (she barely had any nowadays), and then drove out to the airport to pick up Bobby. She parked the car, and walked into the airport and waited outside of security for him. But, before Bobby came (Kate had been a little early), she saw someone that looked familiar. Kate squealed as the girl ran towards her.
“Rachel!!!!!!” Kate squealed as Rachel reached her.
“Katie!” she squealed back as she dropped her bags and gave Kate a huge hug.
“You said you couldn’t make it up over your spring break!!” Kate said with a huge smile on her face.
“I just had to surprise you,” Rachel explained. “My parents wanted to just stay around, since we had been pretty busy, but when your mom called, I told them about it, and they told me to go. I cashed in my free ticket, and here I am! I’m here until Tuesday night!”
“You’re coming back to school with me?”
“Of course!” Rachel said, laughing.
“I’m sure you’ll have a blast,” Kate said.
They chatted for a couple more minutes, and then saw Bobby coming.
“Katie!” Bobby shouted above the people between them.
“Bobby!” she said, walking towards him.
“Missed you, you little hockey punk!” Bobby said, dropping his bag and giving her a hug as he reached her.
“Missed you too!” she said, returning the hug.
“Hey Rach!” Bobby said after the hug. “I didn’t know you were coming up.”
“It was a surprise for Kate,” she explained, shaking his hand.
They talked on their way down to baggage claim, and went to wait for Rachel’s bag first, then went to get Bobby’s bag. They walked out to their car, put the bags in the trunk, and headed back home.

No comments: