Sunday, April 27, 2008

Chapter 12 - Some Kind of Wonderful

I honestly couldn’t tell you how long Sidney and I kissed, because that first passionate kiss seemed to cause a damn to burst somewhere inside of me. It had been awhile since anyone had kissed me like that, and all of the passion…. All of the lust I’d been bottling up for so long just burst and I poured it into kiss after kiss with Sidney.

Don’t get me wrong. I knew it was wrong, but with his lips on mine, I wasn’t thinking clearly. Could you think clearly when a totally hot (and yes, I know thinking he’s hot was wrong too) guy was kissing you like he wasn’t going to see you for years?

Yeah, that’s right. Probably not. While neither could I. So, I didn’t, think that is. I just kissed him back with everything I had. It was probably the most amazing kiss I’d ever experienced… and I’ve been kissed a lot.

Finally, we broke apart. “Wow.” We said at the same time, in the same low, breathy way.

“Wow.” I said again.

A slow wicked grin appeared immediately on Sidney’s face. “See Dare….” He said slowly, brushing an errant piece of hair out of my eyes. “I told you I had to catch you by surprise.”

“You do realize that if anyone actually saw that kiss I could be in huge amounts of trouble?” I demanded, trying to sound self-righteous, but knowing that I was failing. “Right? You get that?”

“Lighten up Dare.” Sidney said with a small smile, reaching for my hand. “Who here actually knows you enough to care?” He asked logically.

I shrugged and shook my head. “It’s the principle of the thing Sid.” I told him firmly, removing my hand from his, even though it was really tempting to hold on to him. “If I let it slip now, what’s to stop me from letting it slip another time?”

Sidney snorted and shook his head. “Dare there is not going to be another time.” He said firmly.

“Oh really?” I asked, eyebrows raised. “And what, pray tell, makes you so sure?”

Sidney glanced down at me, unmasked passion clear in his eyes. “Because once I’ve claimed you, you are never going to want anyone else.”

I snorted. “Just what I need. To never want anyone else and to have you take anything you can get.”

“Who said I’d do that?” He demanded, actually looking angry, to my surprise.

I shrugged, turning to look at him, since he’d stopped moving. “Sidney, that’s what everyone does.” I said. “At least all the hockey players I’ve ever heard about. So no, I don’t want to fall for you, or have you be the only one I’m ever going to want because if that happens, then in the end, I’m the one who ends up getting burned.”

Sidney stood there and starred at me. “I don’t know whether or not I should kiss you or slap you.” He muttered as he pulled me into a tight hug. “And I don’t know what I have to do or say to convince you that I actually want you.”

His hand was gently smoothing my hair. Anyone watching us would think that we were a young couple saying goodbye. I didn’t want that, at least, not yet. I pulled away from him. “Let’s just say I’ve been burned a lot Crosby.” I told him firmly, with a shrug. “So it’s going to take a lot to get me to trust you.” I informed him. “You’ll have to keep your promises.”

“What makes you think I wouldn’t?” He asked, looking deeply into my eyes.

I shrugged again. “The fact that no guy ever has… kept his promises I mean. Why should I expect you to be any different? I’ve dated younger guys, older guys, guys my age. Amateur athletes, professional athletes, non-athletes. Not a single guy has ever kept every promise he’s made.”

“Never one?” Sidney asked, looking more shocked and surprised now then angry.

“Never one.” I replied emphatically. “I mean, they might keep the occasional promise about seeing me… usually, and I am going to be bluntly honest here Sid, so let me know if you can’t handle it.” He just nodded for me to continue. “They usually kept the promises about seeing me so they could get laid.”

I paused, taking a deep breath before I continued. “It took me a long time to figure that out… and even after I figured it out, I still went along with it for a long time, just because it was easier, and because it meant I still got some form of… I don’t know, affection.”

Sidney looked at me, his eyes wide. His arms reached out and he once again enfolded me in an embrace. “Dare I am so sorry for that.” He whispered softly into my hair. “You deserve so much better than that, and I promise, I am going to give it to you.”

I pulled out of his arms after briefly hugging him back (what can I say… I’ve always been a sucker for a good hug). “Don’t make promises you can’t keep Crosby.” I told him firmly. “This is your draft year, and I know full well that you’re going somewhere state-side. I’m going to be here and you’re going to be there. You can have all the good intentions you like, but the road to hell is paved with them.”

Sidney sighed and looked down at me, his eyes a little sad. “Life isn’t always fair Dare… we both know that, but its been especially unfair to you hasn’t it?”

I shrugged, suddenly feeling uncomfortable. I’d already revealed far more of my past than I would have liked. I’d moved to Nova Scotia in part so that I could be whoever I wanted to be this time around. They say that you can’t run from the past though… it always catches up to you.

In my case I suppose, I couldn’t keep my mouth shut about it. I looked back at Sidney, realizing that he was waiting for me to say something. “Life’s not fair to a lot of people Sid.” I said. “I’m a lot better off then a lot of people, so I count myself lucky.”

Sidney smiled knowingly and reached over for my hand. “Well so do I.” He said with soft smile… the kind that makes girls melt. Worse, the kind that was making ME melt.

I pulled my hand out of his quickly. “So when does your flight leave?” I asked looking around for either his parents or one of those little TV things that tells you when the planes are leaving.

Sidney shrugged. “I dunno.”

“And he’s not in the least concerned either.” Troy said, rolling his eyes as he, Trina and Taylor caught up with us.

“Dad, I’m Sidney Crosby. My flight will not leave without me.” Sidney pointed out.

“You really are an arrogant ass.” I couldn’t stop myself from saying as I glanced at him sideways.

Sidney shrugged. “Only because I know that you like me this way Dare.”

I rolled my eyes. “I’m sorry Troy, Trina, if there were anything I could do to prevent him from acting like a total idiot in my presence I would do it, but everything I’ve tried thus far hasn’t worked.” I told them dryly. “I’ll keep trying of course, but I can’t make any promises.”

Trina laughed. “My son has been known to act like an idiot on the rare occasions when he hasn’t gotten what he wants.” She said. “But just be patient. He’ll come out of it eventually.”

“I hope so.” I said winking at him.

Sidney and Troy chuckled. They looked a lot alike when they did that. Trina glanced at one of the monitors. “It looks like its going to be awhile Sid.” She said, pointed.

Sidney’s flight to Toronto was among one of the ones that had been delayed. “We have to get Taylor to the eye-doctor Troy.” Trina said, looking at Sidney anxiously.

“Mom you know you can leave me here.” Sidney said. “I’ll be fine. I’m sure Steve is around here somewhere and I’m sure that I can convince Dare to stick it out and hang out here with me.”

“I’ll stay.” I said with a shrug. “It’s not like I really have anything better to do.”

“Well then.” Troy said. “We’ll see you on Monday Dare, and Sid, we’ll pick you up at the airport on Tuesday.”

“’Kay.” He said, more intent on looking around for Stephen Dixon. “See you guys, bye Tay.”

“Bye Sidney.” His Mom said, kissing him on the cheek. “Behave yourself.”

Sidney smirked. “I will.”

“Somehow I don’t believe you.” Trina replied with a wry smile.

Sidney shrugged. “I’ll see you guys on Tuesday night.” He said, glancing over at me. “So Dare, you don’t mind hanging out with me this afternoon?”

I shrugged. “You’re lending me your truck.” I said. “The least I can do is spend the afternoon hanging out with you in an airport.”

Sidney grinned. “Actually there is something more that you could do.” He told me.

“No, I’m not going down on you in a bathroom.” I replied immediately remembering our earlier conversation in his car. “So forget about it Sid.”

Sidney chuckled. “You dirty minded girl.” He said smiling approvingly. “But that wasn’t what I had in mind, though if you change your mind, I’m totally good with that.”

“I thought I just said that I hadn’t changed my mind.” I pointed out.

“Hey a guy can hope can’t he?” He replied, reaching once again for my hand.

I just shook my head. “Get over yourself Crosby.” I replied, pulling my hand away. “But before you do, entertain me briefly. What else can I do for you?”

“Come with us.” He said simply.

“Come with you where? To Toronto?” I said, shaking my head. “I can’t. I have to work on Monday and you aren’t going to be back until Tuesday.”

“No, not to Toronto Dare, Mom, Dad, Tay and I are going to go to the Dominican Republic for a week or so after the draft, well if there is a draft, but my agent thinks that there’s going to be.” He said. “Mom and Dad think you’re great… so does Taylor. I’d love to have you along.”

“You just want to see me in a bikini.” I accused him teasingly, not quite believing that Sidney was actually inviting me to join him and his family on vacation. I mean, we’d only known each other for a few weeks.

“Well that and I think it would be fun.” Sidney said with a shrug. “And yeah, I’d love to see you in a bikini. Or preferably in nothing at all.” He added leaning in close to me.

I pushed him away gently. “Crosby, not only are you an ass, you’re an idiot too.”

“I really think that you should come with us though Dare.” He said. “You could hang out on the beach in your sweats for all I care, I just want to spend more time with you.”

He looked so sweet and innocent when he said that. I leaned over and kissed him softly on the cheek. “That’s sweet Crosby.” I told him. “You could almost convince a girl you were worth it with that kind of talk.”

No comments: