Saturday, April 26, 2008

Chapter 8 - Some Kind of Wonderful

The next day I got up far later then I’d intended to. Sidney had stayed late the night before and we’d sat together in the living room on the couch watching movies (we ended up watching 3) until around 2 in the morning when he finally got up and went home. He was an absolute sweetheart. We talked and joked and enjoyed the movies.

It turns out that we liked the same kind of movies, sports movies with some kind of secondary plot. We felt the same way on a lot of issues, like the war in Iraq, the legalization of marijuana and even abortion. I’d met hockey players before (I lived in Winnipeg after all – I’d even seen Sidney play the previous December when he’d played with Team Canada in World Junior exhibition), and most of them were assholes.

Sidney, however was totally NOT an asshole. He didn’t seem to think he was all that, or that he was the best thing since Wayne Gretzky (even though a lot of people thought that he was). It was actually nice hanging out with him… no it wasn’t just nice, it was actually enjoyable.


It was nearly noon when I got up, and since the sun was actually shinning I decided to go for a run. Especially since I hadn’t gone for a run the night before. So I pulled on a pair of shorts and a tank top and headed out to run.


For some reason, I didn’t bother with my MP3 player. It wasn’t long before I realized why I hadn’t. I’d made it just out of the line of trees in the park when Sidney joined me, his stride easily matching mine. “I figured you’d be out here soon.” He said, breathing easily.


“Don’t lie.” I said with a laugh. “You were waiting for me.”


He shrugged. “You caught me.” He said with an easy smile.


I shook my head. “Why are you doing this?” I asked him suddenly, stopping.


He stopped short next to me. “Doing what?” He asked , turning to face me.


“Chasing after me like this.” I said. “Sidney, you barely know me. For all you know, back home I was the biggest slut in Winnipeg.”


“Doubtful.” He told me with a wink. “Cam Barker’s from Winnipeg after all and he got mono from a Winnipeg girl… and we all know how you get mono.”


I giggled for a second then paused. “Still, you don’t really know me.”


“Dare, I’m trying here.” Sidney said pleadingly. “I like you.” He told me. “You’re fun, and you don’t put up with any crap… which means you won’t put up with any crap from me. I like that.”


“So that’s what you’re looking for Sid?” I asked. “A girl whose not going to put up with your crap?”


He shrugged. “Something like that Dare.” He said. “You’d be amazed at how many girls are willing to turn a blind eye to, well whatever I want to do, just because of who I am.”


“Are you serious?” I demanded. “They have that little self-respect?”


Sidney shrugged. “I don’t mean to sound conceited or anything, but it’s intimidating, the status that I have…. Girls who normally wouldn’t let any guy get away with any shit are willing to let me do whatever and whoever I want.” He paused, and grinned looking at me. “Something tells me though that you won’t let me get away with anything.”

“And now this appeals to you?” I asked.

“In terms of having an actual relationship, yes.” He said. “If I just wanted someone to fuck… well I would have taken your advice and gone to that party and gotten laid last night. It would have been easy.”

“I’ll take your word for it.” I said, with a slight smile.

“But I didn’t go.” He pointed out. “Instead you and I ate ice cream and got to know each other better, and watched movies for hours and it was the most fun I’ve had in a long, long time.”

“You mean signing autographs at a grocery store after you signed that Gatorade deal on Thursday wasn’t fun?” I teased him.

He rolled his eyes. “Oh lord no.” He moaned. “If one more girl tells me that she’s in love with me or that she wants to marry me I think I’m going to puke. They don’t know me. They don’t have a fucking clue.”

“Poor baby.” I said with a chuckle. “Thousands of girls across the country would do just about anything to get you to pester them the way you are pestering me.” I rolled my eyes. “Gosh that’s got to be horrible.”

“And you said that I was an asshole.” Sidney replied pouting.

“You totally were an asshole that night when we ran together.” I maintained. “You kept picking up the pace….” I whined.

“You’re the one who said that you want to get back into shape.” He teased me.

I looked at him indignantly. “Are you saying I’m fat?” I demanded.

“Well now you’re just fishing for a compliment.” Sidney replied, his eyes crinkled with mirth. “Besides, I told you when we were running that I liked your shape just fine. You’re the one who said that you had to get back in shape.”

“Well I do.” I said. “But running shape. My shape could use some toning, but I think it’s otherwise fine.”

“And I agree that your shape is fine… damn fine in fact.” Sidney said with a bit of a whistle as he leaned back to look at me from behind.

I shook my head. “An ass man are you?” I asked with a bit of a giggle. “Or boy I should probably say.”

He stuck his tongue out at me. “And I’m the one who’s an asshole?”

“Hun, you aren’t 18 yet.” I told him firmly. “So you’re still a boy. Plus, I have a theory that there is no such thing as a man. Men are a myth invented to keep all women from becoming lesbians.”

Sidney snorted. “Now this I have to hear.” He paused. “Is it something that can be proven like the hockey ugly thing?”

I shrugged. “Not so much.” I admitted. “See I have yet to come across an actual man. I have met very big boys and guys. Boys give you hope that they may someday be men, whereas guys will always just be guys. Therefore, I believe that the man is a myth.”

Sidney chuckled. “I guess I’m just going to have to prove you wrong huh?”

I shook my head. “Do your worst Crosby.” I told him. “Because I highly doubt that you will be able to change my mind on this particular issue.”

He grinned at me boyishly. “And I would bet you anything that I can.”

“You’re confident hun.” I said smiling. “I’ll give you that.”

“Can’t get what you want if you don’t believe that you’re going to be able to get it.” He pointed out. “And right now, you’re what I want.”

I sighed, this was starting to get a little uncomfortable for me. “Enough talk hun.” I told him, elbowing him playfully in the stomach. “Let’s run.”

And so we did, we ran for 45 minutes before I started to feel as if I was going to die. We slowed down to a slow jog as Sidney insisted on accompanying me back to my apartment. “So what are you going to do with the rest of the day?” He asked.

“Have a shower.” I said, as sweat trickled between my breasts. “After that I have no clue.” I told him. “I had wanted to go exploring and shopping today, but well, I have no clue where to start, and I don’t think I’ll have too much time.”

“I’d love to join you….” Sidney teased. “But I know that you won’t let me.”

I rolled my eyes at him. “You are a goof.” I told him firmly.

“I thought I was an asshole.” He replied quickly.

“Only when we’re running.” I replied just as quickly. “The rest of the time Crosby, you are a goof.”

“And you’re annoying.” He told me firmly.

“Why?” I asked, a grin on my face. “Because I won’t let you see me naked?”

“Well that and… well… you’re just annoying!” He said, clearly thinking about me naked.

I giggled. “You’re thinking about me naked….” I sang in a sing-song kind of voice. “You’re thinking about me naked….”

“I amend my earlier statement.” Sidney said. “You Dare, are a bitch.”

“Well we all have to be something.” I said with a smile and a grin. I was totally flirting with him, and I knew I probably shouldn’t have been, but well it was fun. I deserved to have some fun.

Sidney grinned. “So you aren’t in the least offended that I called you a bitch?” He asked.

“No more offended than you were when I called you an asshole.” I told him, shrugging again.

“Are you sure I can’t come shower with you?” He asked, giving me the old puppy dog eyes, his eyebrows raised his lower lip out.

“Very sure.” I said hitting him softly on the shoulder. “Now go home and shower by yourself.” I paused. “Or if you’re desperate call Erin. I’m sure that she’d LOVE to have a shower with you.”

Sidney laughed and shook his head. “I may be desperate to see YOU naked Dare, but I would never, ever be that desperate to get laid.”

I giggled. “Probably not with the thousands of girls across the country who are willing to let you do just about anything to them just for the chance to date them.”

Sidney shrugged. “There is that.” He said, gazing down into my eyes. “And then there’s the fact that I don’t give up until I get what I want… ever.”

No comments: