Monday, March 3, 2008

Chapter 9 - Wait for You

It seems like every major event is the biggest day of your life. Wedding. Baptism. Childbirth. Retirement. Winning a national championship. Ok, so that latter only affects some people – namely me. Today was that day. In my 20 years, outside of my baptism at First Baptist Church of Savannah when I was 11, today was the biggest day of my life.

No sense of making a big deal out of it, I told myself as I took my post-workout shower. We had to win otherwise, we’d be playing tomorrow night, and I really didn’t want that. I wanted some time to relax before going to California.

The day seemed to fly by and before I knew it we were on the bus on our way to the stadium. I wasn’t really all that nervous, which surprised me. I thought for sure I’d be a basketcase, but as the words to the Kaiser Chiefs’ Ruby billowed through my head, I was calm as I hummed along.

It was one of those games that seem to go on forever. We played seven scoreless innings, and I felt good about our chances. I had already struck out 18, the ball was moving to the plate well and Arie was doing a great job catching. As we came back into the dugout after the end of regulation, I put my jacket on over my throwing arm (helps keep the heat in to keep it loose) just before our head coach came over to me and said, “Smith, you’re moving into the four-slot, get a bat!”

Well. That was a surprise. I was going to be batting third in the inning, replacing our designated player Nadine Juniker. I grabbed my bat – a Louisville Slugger Catalyst 2 custom made for me. India was leading off and already making her way to the batter’s box, Tonya was in the on-deck circle. I grabbed my helmet, put it on my head and stood at the top of the steps.

When I took the on-deck circle the crowd erupted into cheers. I could hear Colby, Jen and Sidney leading chants of “Kate! Kate!”

India grounded out to third base and as Tonya made her way to the plate, I walked to the on-deck circle to a chorus of cheers. As I made my cuts, I watched the Huskies pitcher, Danielle Leller. Since it was my first time to see her it was important I made adjustments now and not once I got to the plate. Tonya walked on five pitches, and as I approached the plate I shut the world out. To me, in my world, it was silence. Just me and the pitcher. Since I’m known as a power hitter, I assumed they would pitch me inside to keep the ball in the infield. I was right.

On a 1-1 count, I turned on drop ball inside and heard “clank” – that sound when the bat and ball collide. I looked up to see the ball heading to the deep corner in left and ran as hard as I could to first and rounded it without slowing up. I slid into second and as I came up, I stood on the bag and saw third clear. One out RBI double. We were up 1-0 in the national championship game!!!! I beamed as our fans got louder and louder. I advanced to third on a single by Lucy and scored on another single from Holly. At the end of the eighth, we were up 2-0 and three outs away from the title.

It was as if Father Time hit the slow motion button on the world’s VCR. Heading back out to the mound for the bottom of the eighth, I had never felt as nervous as I did then. Washington’s leadoff lined out to short and their second batter got on with a single to right. With a runner aboard, the tying run approached the plate. She struck out swinging, and I had an 0-2 count on the next batter. My heart started beating faster and faster. Our fans were all on their feet clapping and cheering. Arie called time and walked to the mound. She simply told me, “It’s our time.” I took a deep breath, closed my eyes and went into my motion and then released the ball.

I don’t remember much after that except it was a rise ball up and in.

No comments: