Monday, March 3, 2008

Chapter 12 - Wait for You

What to wear? What to wear?

After a week out here, I was almost out of options. I still had the dresses I bought at the mall, but I decided on the little black one my mom got me in Atlanta a few months ago. It was a BCBG Max Azria lace and charmeuse gown that V-ed in the front and back. It went great with a pair of peep toes I had and a black clutch. I laid everything out and drew a bath.

It took me a more than an hour to get ready. I soaked in the tub, shaved my legs, exfoliated, dried my hair, actually put it halfway up, put my makeup on and got dressed with 10 minutes to spare. I looked myself over in the mirror and was proud. I looked good!

He knocked on the door right at 6:30. I wasn’t prepared for what was on the other side because when I opened it, I lost my breath. He was gorgeous. Absolutely, amazingly gorgeous. He was in a black suit with a light green dress shirt and geometric print tie, and he was smiling.

“Hi,” he said.

“Hi yourself.”

“You look amazing.”

“Thanks. You don’t look so bad yourself,” I said with a wink.

“This old thing? I’ve had it.”

“Well, you should hang on to it for a while longer because you look damn sexy in it.”

“There’s only one of us looking sexy, and that’s you darling.”

By this point, we were face-to-face and so close, he could easily kiss me. “I think we should go before we don’t leave at all.”

“Good idea,” he said as he grabbed my hand and we headed to the elevator.

He had a car waiting to take us to this place called the Haunted House. Apparently, it was in an old inn that was, obviously, haunted. It was a gorgeous place and looked old from the outside. We walked up the stairs and into the restaurant and it was as beautiful and charming on the inside as it was on the outside. Sidney spoke to the maitre’de while I stood in awe of the building. He led us to a quiet corner in the back of the restaurant which was about half full.

It was candlelight and very romantic, what every girl would want for a first date. And I was here with him. I didn’t deserve this. I didn’t deserve him. But, someone thought I did, and I was just happy to be sharing time with him.

We talked as we waited on our dinner to arrive. He told me about Cole Harbor and why he loved it so much. He told me about the house he had bought in Halifax. It was on Grand Lake and in need of some decorating, but it was on the water and his retreat. He talked about it with so much pride. He told me about Pittsburgh and how he loved being there. Just then our salads arrived, his a side mine a Caesar. When we finished, we picked up where we left off.

“I really wish you could be in Pittsburgh with me tomorrow,” he said.

“Why’s that?”

“Big announcement is coming.”

“Oh really?”

“Yeah, I accepted the captaincy of the team.”

“Oh, Sid! That’s great! I’m so happy for you.”

“Thanks. It’s been in the works for awhile, but the timing is right now.”

“Oh, that’s great! I wish I could be there. Will your parents be there?”

“My dad will and then I’ll be jet-setting for the next couple of the weeks.”

“Wh’re you going?”

He laughed. That came out really country. “Pittsburgh tomorrow. Ottawa the day after that. Then home for a few days to shoot a new commercial for Reebok before going back to Pittsburgh for a teammate’s wedding. There’s a lot of other stuff later on in the summer, but mostly just training back home. I go back to Pittsburgh for good at the beginning of September.”

“Busy bee you are.”

“Yeah. What about you? What’s your schedule like the rest of the summer?”

“Crazy. I leave Friday for California for a week. I should make the National Team barring anything crazy. We’re in Surrey for Canada Cup after that, come back here to OKC for World Cup, go to D.C. for international competition processing, go to Brazil for the Pan-American Games and then get back in time for the last three weeks of my professional team’s season. Oh, and I have to find a job somewhere between all of that.”

“Wow. You are globe-hopping. What kind of job are you looking for?”

“I don’t really know. I have a business degree, but I’ll do anything. I have an inkling to coach, but who wants to hire a 20-year old to coach 20-year olds? I could always move back home and work at the paper company, but I’m trying really hard to get out on my own and show some independence.”

“Well, that’s admirable of you. What team are you going to play for?”

“New England Rip Tide. They’re based out of Boston. I’ll only get to play three weeks, but that’s why they signed me to a contract.”

“Well, I’m sure you’ll do great, and I think you’d be a great coach. Hopefully, people will see past your age and see the knowledge you have.”

Just then, our food arrived. I ordered the filet mignon which looked yummy, while he had the grilled salmon with shrimp. We ate and talked some more – about life in general. The meal was delicious, the conversation was great and neither of us wanted to leave, but an hour and a half later we decided to go get dessert at an ice cream place out by the lake.

Moments later, the car was brought around and Sidney told the driver where we wanted to go. He held the door for me and I slid in. I was full and content on many levels. We just sat there on the way to the lake. Our hands were intertwined, and I rested my head on his shoulder. He smelled masculine. His arms were around me and felt protective. When we arrived, we went to the stand. I got the chocolate yogurt (my favorite) and he got the French vanilla. We took our dessert and picked a spot on the lakefront and enjoyed the stars, cool breeze, water, the yogurt and each other.

“This is nice,” he said.

“Yeah, it’s a beautiful night, and I’m here with you.”

“The feeling is mutual. Can I have some?”

I laughed. He looked like a little kid in a candy store. “Ok, but only if you promise to be good for the rest of the evening.”

“Hmm…that’s a tough one,” he said giving me a wink. I gave him a spoonful of my yogurt, and all I could think about was kissing those lips again.

“Want any of mine?” he asked offering up his spoon.

“Nah, I’m not a big vanilla person. I’ll stick with my chocolate.”

“Ok, but you don’t know what you’re missing.”

“I have you. I’m not missing a thing.”

We stayed at the lakefront for at least 45 minutes. I know it was close to 10 when we left. As we got in the car to go back to the hotel, I really didn’t want the evening to end. We were leaving at 7:30 in the morning, and I didn’t know what our future held. I wanted to hang on to this moment for as long as I could. But, Father Time would have none of it.

When we arrived back, we went in the back stairwell and as I entered my room, he grabbed my arms and spun me to him.

He held my face with his hands and those eyes – those eyes were filled with so much passion. And with that send-you-over the edge raspy voice, simply whispered in my ear, “Stay with me tonight, Katie.”

No comments: