Monday, March 3, 2008

Chapter 4 - Wait for You

The next morning my alarm went off at 6 a.m. I sluggishly got out of bed, brushed my teeth, put my hair in a ponytail and threw on a pair of mesh shorts and tennis shoes so I could head down to the fitness center. It was gameday and despite the fact we were playing our first game in the WCWS, I intended to keep things as normal as possible. For me, that meant being up at the crack of dawn to run on the treadmill for about 30 minutes before coming back to my room to take a shower and throw on some team gear to head down to breakfast.

At 7:30 a.m., I sat across from our pitching coach, Aaron McKinley, discussing the scouting report we would be going over shortly. Scout was a nine, followed by batting practice at Oklahoma City University’s field; pregame meal was at 2 before everyone parted ways. We were to load the bus at 5:30, and I would keep my usual meal routine of spaghetti followed by a light nap before visiting our trainer to get taped up and get my arm loose with some massage and Bengay (yes, Bengay – it works).
I made it through the morning routine, speaking briefly to the team at the end of batting practice. I had gotten used to given these types of speeches – the go-out-there-and-get-‘em speeches. But this one was different. I thought back to last night and what Colby had said, and I shared that with this team. They meant a lot to me. I had a hand in recruiting all of them to UA, and we were great friends. It’s hard to believe that at some point in the next nine days, my career at ‘Bama would be over.

Later, I finished at pregame and headed to my room. Opening the door, I was surprised at a bouquet of Gerber daises sitting on the desk. I figured they were from my parents, but I was surprised to see they were from Sidney. It made me smile to read his note, which if I had to guess, he had written himself because the handwriting was atrocious. It read, “Katie, Good luck tonight. Here’s one of my favorite sports quotes – ‘Not the victory, but the action; Not the goal, but the game; In the deed, the glory.’ – Hartley Burr Alexander. Think about it, and we’ll talk soon. – Sidney”
Katie. He’d called me Katie. No one had ever called me that. It made me smile. I liked the sound of it coming from him. I wonder if he had asked Jen about what kind of flowers I like or if she had told him. I hate roses. Gerbers are my favorite by far. Sunflowers are a close second. He was getting to me slowly. Back on track! I told myself. After setting my alarm, I laid down to take my nap and found myself falling asleep peacefully. It was the last moment of silence I’d get for the day.
I woke from my nap and put on my uniform pants along with a tank top. I headed to our trainer’s room for treatment and when I returned finished off my uniform with the top and socks. My shoes were in my bag since I wear flip-flops until I have to put the cleats on. We met as a team at the bottom of the lobby elevator because our fans were in the lobby awaiting our walk to the bus, which was right outside the hotel’s double doors. Someone had taken the courtesy to find a CD player and a speaker system because we began our walk to the bus to the sounds of our fight song and fans’ cheers. I saw my mom, dad, Jen, Colby and Sidney in the crowd cheering us on as we made our way on to the bus. I kept my face up, smiling sparingly, and walking straight to the bus. I didn’t want to seem rude, but I was feeling a lot of emotions and needed to focus on the game. As I got on the bus, I took my earphones out, put them in and cut on my iPod.

I struck out 17, and Tonya Fulton hit a solo home run in the top of sixth to give us the 1-0 win over Carolina. It didn’t come without drama, though. I was such a nervous wreck in the first; I loaded the bases with one out. It earned me a visit from Aaron who reminded me of the defense I had behind me. Arie told me just to pitch what she called. It calmed me down, and I was able to shut down the Tarheels after that. I got interviewed by ESPN and went to the postgame press conference before I was allowed to speak to my friends and family briefly before getting back on the bus.

“Hi, kiddo.” My dad said as I approached them in the area they had set up for us near our bus.

“Hi. Thanks for coming.”

“Great game.”

“Thanks. I got a little worried in the first, but Aaron and Arie calmed me down.”

“Honey, you were fantastic. I am so proud of you.” My mom said attempting to give me a hug.

“Mom, I would not get near me right now. I’ve just played, and I smell.”

She laughed.

“That’s part of it.” Sidney said from the back.

I just smiled at him. The thought of seeing him excited me. I had missed him since parting the other night, and I was looking forward to having another conversation with him, but it would have to wait until tomorrow.

“I feel icky. I need a shower.”

“Kate, what are your plans for tomorrow?” That was Jen. I had a feeling about her next question. It never fails to come after game one of whatever tournament we’re playing in.

“Um, scout at 8:30, practice at 9:30. Lunch. After that, we’re free until dinner. Then after dinner, I’m free until curfew.”

“Sweet! Can we go to the mall at some point?”

“You know it.”

“Great!”

“Hey Colby,” I said trying to get his attention.

“Yeah.”

“Thank you for what you said Tuesday. I shared it with my team today at batting practice.”

He just smiled and said, “You’re welcome.” I proceeded to say my goodbyes. My family watched as I put my bag underneath the bus and jumped back on. They waved to me as we pulled away, heading back to the hotel for the evening.

Once back I took a shower and threw on some pajamas and drifted off to sleep.

No comments: