Monday, March 3, 2008

Chapter 7 - Wait for You

Oh how he drove me to the brink of insanity! As I endured my morning run on the treadmill, he was all I could think about. I didn’t want this to move too fast and besides by the time I was finished playing this summer, he’d be back in Pittsburgh preparing for next season. It was like this would ever work on anyways. I mean, come on, like Sidney Crosby honestly thinks I’m more than just a fling for him? Besides that, why me? He could have any girl he wanted, and I’m sure there were plenty waiting on him every night. My frustration caused me to run harder and before I knew it I had been going full speed for 45 minutes. Ugh! I hated being late.

I finally went through my usually gameday routine but a few hours earlier and a little more compacted (meaning breakfast and pregame were all one thing) today since we were playing at 5 p.m. and not seven.

I struggled in the first inning. Two runs came across for Oklahoma before I was able to settle down and strike out two to end the inning. Sunday’s game was one where you really rely on your teammates to make up for your mistakes. If we lost this first game, we’d have to turn around and play another game in 30 minutes. Luckily, just when I thought we were going to play another game, Arie drove in two runs and Tonya hit a solo shot on an outside pitch that would have been ball four, so we won 3-2 in the bottom of the seventh.

I was thankful that Jen had conveyed to my parents it probably wasn’t a good idea to see me after the game. After games like this, I just want to be alone and today was no different. She knew that. After media interviews, I loaded my bag and sat in my usual seat on the bus. Just as we pulled out of the parking lot, Tonya came down and sat next to me.

“Hey, cap’n,” she said.

“Hi. Great at-bat, today.”

“Thanks. Look, Katie. We bailed your ass out today but whatever got you fired up for yesterday’s game, find it. I don’t know what’s going on, but between yesterday and today, you’ve changed – and not like the weather, more like a climate shift.” Good analogy from a meteorology major, I’ll give her that.

I took what she said to heart. “Thanks, Tonya. I know what I need to do.”

“Good. Now let’s win the next two and take that trophy back to Tuscaloosa.”

I smiled at her and turned to look out the window. I let out a sigh as I reached down and started to type a text message. I didn’t exactly feel any better when I hit send, but I knew I had to.

I took a shower, got dressed and sat on the bed. I felt a lot better now. I pulled out my notebook and went through some more batting scout for Washington, the team we’d be facing for the national championship. I couldn’t believe it – after finishing third for two straight years, we were playing for a national championship. This is what I had worked so hard for. This is what we had worked so hard to get to. Carpe diem. Seize the day. That’s what it said on the front of my manual. I had to take it in and enjoy it because my collegiate career would be over during the next three days.

I jumped at the sound of a knock at my door 30 minutes later. The text message. When I opened it he was standing there. He didn’t say hello; he just walked in staring at me with those deep eyes, grabbed me and put his lips to mine so passionately. His hands explored me where I would let him. He got to me, but I had to keep him in check. Otherwise, we’d be doing something we both regret. He pinned me against the wall, moving his mouth from my lips to my neck, mummering my name the whole time. His hands moved back up to my neck as he made his way to my ears. He nipped at them and whispered, “I want you.” He didn’t have to say it because I knew. I could feel it.

“Sidney…” I whimpered as his mouth reclaimed mine. He pushed me back up against the wall, this time making sure I could feel exactly what I was doing to him.

“Katie, baby. Please…” I wanted to so bad. I wanted, but…

“Sid, you know…we can’t.”

He stopped and looked at me. I thought he was going to get mad, but instead he said, “I know, darling. I know.” He put butterfly kisses along my nose before wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into him.

“You just drive me insane, and it’s hard to be good when I know you so badly want to let yourself go and can’t. You’re missing out on so much, but I’m going to wait, Katie. I’m waiting because you have to be ready for that.”

“Sidney, I have never done anything like this – ever. I’ve never had a guy affect me the way you do. So, please understand that even writing that message to you was hard for me. I’m so unsure about things right now, and I have to focus on my games.”

“I know,” he said kissing my forehead lightly. “You win the next two games, and we’ll talk after that. Just know I’m thinking of you and I’ll be yelling my heart out for you the next two nights.”

“I appreciate that.”

“Now, get your ass in bed. I can’t have my superstar worn out tomorrow. She’s got to pitch the best game of her career. Come on, I’ll tuck you in.”

I giggled at his remark. How sweet. He was calling me the superstar. I crawled into bed and he literally tucked me in. Before leaving he kissed me lightly on the forehead again.

“Goodnight, Sidney.”

“Goodnight, Katie.” He cut the light off next to my bed and walked out. It was going to be a good night indeed.

No comments: