Monday, March 3, 2008

Chapter 11 - Wait for You

I don’t remember what time he left, but I woke up around 11 a.m. the next morning. After checking my phone, I got up and got ready for lunch with my parents. They were leaving this afternoon, and because of my schedule this summer, I wasn’t for sure I’d see them before August.

I got ready and met them downstairs. We took a cab to a local place not far from the hotel. It was turning out to be an enjoyable lunch until my mother asked, “So, Kate. What’s going on with you and Sidney?”

I about choked on my water.

“Excuse me?”

“You heard me. You two have been spending a lot of time together this week.”

“It’s nothing, Mom. He’s good friends with Jen and Colby asked him to come.”

“I’ve seen the way that boy looks at you and it’s not friend-like at all.”

“Mom! I’m not involved with Sidney Crosby. We’re two different people with two different lives. In case you’ve forgotten, I have National Team tryouts next week.”

“I know, dear. But, he’s such a clean-cut, nice young man. Just the right kind for you.”

I sighed. My mother, the matchmaker. It all goes back to the self-image thing. I’m only 20, it’s not like I don’t have the time to find guys. I just chose not to because I have an agenda – win an Olympic gold medal and until that goal is reached, I’m thinking about nothing but softball. I’m so unlike Leah, and it kills her. I’d rather spend the afternoon playing in the dirt instead of frolicking with members of the Savannah Country Club.

“Mom, when I meet a guy, you’ll be the first to know. Trust me.”

With that, my dad chuckled and we actually enjoyed the rest of our lunch.

When we returned to the hotel, I said goodbye to my parents in the lobby as they loaded their belongings in the cab to head to the airport. I was sad to see them go, but it was always odd for us. Since I had left home at such an early age, it really wasn’t that big of a deal to see them leave. We had done it so many times; it had its own routine. They were going to try to come back to Oklahoma later this summer when we played in the World Cup, but because of dad’s travel schedule, they couldn’t make any promises. Once the cab had left the front of the building, I returned to the stairs and walked up to my room. He was there, dressed in jeans and a t-shirt with a baseball cap, looking cute as ever.

“Hey, how was lunch with your parents?”

“Good, other than my mother asking 20 questions about the two of us.”

“Is it that obvious?”

“I didn’t think so, but she has the ultra sonic radar.”

“My mom’s the same way,” he said laughing. “I asked Colby and Jen to join us for a little bit since they’re heading to Wilkes Barre tonight. I hope you don’t mind.”

“Not at all. I was hoping to get to see them before they left.”

“Well, let’s go then.”

We met Jen and Colby at the bottom of the stairs and on the agenda was sightseeing downtown Oklahoma City. I had been to places here and there, but it was great to be sharing the time with the three of them. We took a cab to Bricktown, where we had eaten dinner the other night. The main attraction in the area is the Bricktown Ballpark, home to the Oklahoma Redhawks – the Texas Rangers Triple A affiliate. The team wasn’t at home that day but we got to see the ballpark from outside the gates. We also got ice cream from a local place right around the corner and checked out the Bass Pro Shop. It was close to 3 p.m. when we left the store, and Colby and Jen needed to get back to the hotel. We said our goodbyes – it took 15 minutes! Then they hopped in one cab and Sidney and I in the other to head downtown to the arts district.

There’s a place in the arts district I’ve been every time I’ve been here. It’s a sad place, but it reminds me of why I play for the National Team, and I wanted to share it with Sidney.

As we got out of the cab, I asked, “Do you remember anything about 1995?”

“No, not really. I was only seven. What happened in 1995?”

“That.” I said pointing to the massive wall structure surrounding the area. At the top it read, We come here to remember those who were killed, those who survived and those changed forever. May all who leave here know the impact of violence. May this memorial offer comfort, strength, peace, hope and serenity.

“April 19, 1995,” I said as we walked through the gate to see the memorial before us. “This is the place where the Edward Murrah Federal Building was bombed.”

“Oh my.”

“I come here every year. It’s sad, but I remember the day. It and 9/11, I’ll always remember. I was alive when they happened.”

“I had no idea.”

We spent the next 20 minutes walking the field of chairs, reading the messages left by friends and family members. It broke my heart to see the small ones – representing the children who died. We walked along the pool, reflecting 9:02 a.m., the exact moment of the bombing. I showed him the side of the building next door. You could see how building materials had been blown off from the blasts. You could also see where one of the emergency crews spray painted a message on the wall. Then, we walked along the fence to see the memorials made to the victims and across the street a statue of Jesus with his head down and turned from the site. The marble at the bottom simply read, Jesus wept. We made our way back to the other side and the small chapel area. I sat down on a pew, and he sat next to me.

“It puts things I perspective for me. Just to think, those people went to work thinking it would be another normal.”

“Yeah. How could someone do such a thing?”

“Well, he got the death penalty. You know, and maybe you understand this, people give Americans a bad rap, but I’m so proud of where I come from. It’s the hope this place has, the hope in New York – those are the things that keep me going. Makes me happy to give them something to cheer about.”

“I understand completely. It’s a love for your country that can’t be described. It’s an honor to do what you love and represent your country while doing it.”

“Yeah, it is. This war we’re in, I may not agree with it, but I’m going to support the people over there fighting. I think one thing I’ve learned since being on the National Team is that I may not be in Iraq or Afghanistan, but I’m wearing my country’s colors and representing my homeland, and I have to do the best I can.”

“You know, I once said in an interview that I have a maple leaf tattooed on my heart. Some people took it literal, but I meant it figuratively. One day when I make the Olympic team, I’m getting one with the rings.”

“You sound like me. I’m not a tattoo girl, but if I get to Beijing next year, I’m getting the American flag and the rings,” I paused for a minute before asking, “Can we get out of here? I don’t want to be sad the rest of the day.”

“Sure. Anything else you’d like to do while we’re here?”

“Not really, unless you want to see the arts center. It’s got a really weird sculpture in front of it.”

He put his arm around my waist as we got up to walk to the street. “How about we get the cab driver to take us by there on the way back to the hotel?”

“Sounds great to me.”

We hailed a cab, saw the creepy sculpture at the arts center and went back to the hotel, where he followed me to my door.

“I hope you don’t mind. I made dinner reservations for seven at this fancy place.”

“I don’t.”

“I wouldn’t normally do that, but I want to spoil you tonight. And, I’d come in, but we’d be late and maybe never make it there, so I’m going to my room to get ready. I’ll meet you here at 6:30?”

“You are so amazing,” I said as he gave me a light kiss before heading down the hall to the stairwell.

No comments: