Monday, March 3, 2008

Chapter 12 - An American Flavour

In case you care, no my Dad did not sue the school. Mrs. Jones had to issue a formal written apology to both the Parisé family and me and I was going to be allowed to party however I chose for the rest of the year. Stoney was totally unimpressed, but there wasn’t much he could do about it. The kid went home for awhile in late February, early March to play in the Canada Winter Games, which he told me was like a mini-Winter Olympics.
His team ended up finishing 4th, but Sid took home some kind of individual honour or something. Either way, when he came back, Sidney continued to tear it up on the ice, and in early April the Tier I team did exactly what was expected of them, and brought home the national championship.
I took the car (despite the objections of the school) and basically got plastered before the game. I was so fricking drunk by the time I got to wherever the game was (I seriously do not remember) that Juan had to help me into the arena. Sidney pretty much won the game single handedly. It was amazing to watch him play.
I wasn’t a big hockey fan, but I knew enough to know that Sidney was special. I’d watched Zach play enough times to know that. After the game I’d sobered up enough to walk on my own, but I was still plenty drunk. I wandered down to the locker room area. “Sidney!” I cried flinging myself at him.
“Kally ooof.” He replied catching me.
“You were fucking awesome kid.” I informed him, kissing him softly on the lips.
He held me off the ground, one strong arm wrapped around my waist. “Really?” He asked, his eyes burning into mine.
“Yes.” I said kissing him again, far more passionately this time, my tongue foraging into his mouth my fingers buried in his hair, massaging his scalp as I stroked his tongue with mine. To my surprise he didn’t hold me tighter, or kiss me back. He pulled away, letting me slide down his sweat soaked body. “You’re drunk.” He accused me, tasting the alcohol on my breath.
“And how!” I replied with a grin. He let me go completely.
“Fuck.” He muttered.
“Come here kid…” I whispered, pulling him closer. “We’re going to have a blast tonight.” I informed him. “I have a hall ready and the Cris is already flowing.”
“Kally shit.” He muttered. “I am not going to take advantage of you when you’re drunk baby.” He said firmly.
“Then get fucked up with me on the ride back to Shattuck’s.” I said with the all the logic of a drunk person. “Then we’ll both be drunk. You can’t take advantage of me if you’re drunk too.”
“I have to go back on the bus with the guys Kally.” He told me firmly.
I pressed my body against his. Something I would never ever have done to him if I were sober. “Come on kid…” I whispered seductively in his ear, my tongue, lips and teeth toying with his ear. “You know you wanna play….”
“Kally God girl.” He hissed, his eyes closed. “You have to stop this.”
“Why?” I asked, reaching down to where his cup was covering his erection. “You want to play just as much as I do….” I teased him, reaching up under his jersey to play with the taunt muscles of his stomach.
“Kally please baby.” He whispered. “Don’t do this here.” He pleaded with me.
“Then come back with me in the car.” I said, my lips working on his neck. “Please…. Other then Drew and Jacky none of those guys like you anymore then Katie Nash, Natalie Fisher, and Sarah Meridith like me.”
“Crosby you coming?” Matt Smaby demanded.
I turned and glared at him. “Matty in case you couldn’t tell, the kid is a little busy here. He may actually get some tonight. I know this is a foreign concept to you and all, but stay the fuck out of it.”
“Kally….” Sidney whispered into my hair as he pulled me close, imprisoning me against his chest.
“Come on Sidney….” I replied. “I know you want to….”
“When you’re sober.” He replied immediately. “And when I know that you want to.” “Well that’s no fun.” I shot back immediately. Drunk person logic again, I know. “I wanna play Crosby… don’t you want to play with me?” I asked, my tongue stroking the sensitive part of his neck sensually.
“Kally…. Baby….” He hissed, firmly putting me on my feet away from him. “I am not going to do this. We are not going to do this. Not when you’re already this drunk.” He paused. “Now go get in the car Kal, and I’ll see you at the hall.”
“Promise?” I asked, feeling down. I do not usually get shot down like that.
He looked down at me, his eyes gentle. He dropped a quick kiss on my forehead. “I promise.” He said. “Just give me a couple of minutes to shower and I’ll walk you out to the car okay Kally?”
“Okay kid.” I replied, still not sure what to think or feel in my drunken haze.
About 20 minutes later, Sidney was out of the locker room, his hair wet from his shower. “You look goofy as a blonde kid.” I informed him.
Sidney laughed. “I know.” He said. “But the team wanted to bleach their hair for the playoffs, so my hair was bleached with the rest of the guys. Most of us can’t exactly grow playoff beards you know.”
I chuckled. “You need a haircut too kid.” I informed him, running my fingers gently through his hair.
He laughed again. “I know Kally.” He said. “But its going to have to wait a little bit.” I shook my head. “You look goofy kid.” I said again, reaching down for his hand. Sidney squeezed my hand in his.
“Come on Kally.” He said his gaze soft as he looked at me. “Let’s get you into the car.” “Do I have to?” I whined, moving as close to him as possible.
“Yes.” He said firmly, squeezing my hand again. “I’ll go back on the bus, you go back in the car, and then we’re all coming to your party.” He paused. “What would you have done if we hadn’t won?” He asked, since the game had been a tight 5-4 game.
I shrugged. “Waited a week and then thrown a party for no reason?” I replied.
He laughed. “You’re something else Kally.” He said, nodding familiarly at Juan as he held my door open. He leaned down and kissed me on the forehead. “I’ll see you in a couple hours baby, I promise.” He whispered huskily.
I just nodded. Laying down on the comfy back seat, I turned the TV on and fell asleep watching a public television piano concerto. The music was incredibly well played and it was soothing. By the time we got to the hall though, I was nearly sober. And it wasn’t a good feeling. I grabbed a bottle of mineral water and downed half of it quickly before reaching for a glass of Cris. The DJ was playing soft music since no one was here yet. Stephen hadn’t exactly been driving the speed limit. He’d flown back to Faribault. I sat down and continued drinking. And drinking. And drinking.
Part of me was completely embarrassed about what had happened earlier with Sidney. Another part of me was petrified that he was just being nice when he said he wanted it too. I wasn’t sure that I could face him, particularly if I was sober. So I drank.
People started trickling in around midnight. The DJ started playing much faster music and the dance floor started without me for a change. I just sat in my booth and drank. Occasionally someone would stop by and tell me how great the party was or a girl would ask if the guys were actually coming, but for the most part, everyone left me alone and did there own thing.
The minute he walked in the hall I looked up. I just knew that he was there. I could sense him. Our eyes met and I stood, wobbly, making my way over to him. We met halfway, and hugged each other tightly. “You came.” I whispered.
“I promised that I would.” He reminded me, brushing an errant piece of hair behind my ear. “I don’t break promises to pretty girls.”
I blushed and double kissed him, forcing myself to behave normally. “So who all is coming?” I asked, changing the subject. “Are all the guys coming or are guys like Smaby to cool?”
Sidney laughed. “Smaby’s trying to convince some of the guys that hanging out at the dorms is more fun then coming to your party but I think everyone whose important is going to end up coming here.” He said. “Smaby really doesn’t like you Kal.”
I shrugged. “Smaby tried and failed to get in my pants last year.” I told him. “And got a bit of a beating from Zachie for his trouble.”
“Speaking of Parisé, is he coming?” Sid asked.
“No. He’s got finals kid.” I said, stumbling slightly.
Sidney grabbed my arm and helped to keep my upright. “Come on Kal.” He said, leading me towards my booth. “Come sit down baby.”
I leaned against him. “You know kid, you have seriously messed with my life.” I informed him slurring slightly.
His look was amused. “How’s that Kally?” He asked.
“You make me expect more of myself kid.” I said. “I actually practice now. The harp and the piano. I worry about what you think about me.”
Sidney shrugged. “Well you don’t have to Kally.” He said firmly. “I only think the best of you. I mean, how many girls who would have caught me with my pants around my ankles would have been too embarrassed to even look me in the eye again? Probably most of them, but not you, instead you make me embarrassed to look you in the eye and then you tease me about it.” I giggled, remembering the scene. “It was funny kid. Especially since you’d been telling me about how good things were for you here… at least when it came to the girls.”
“Well either way.” He said with a shrug. “Most girls would have been embarrassed by it. Not you, you harass me with comments about my ‘equipment’.”
“When you’ve got it, flaunt it kid.” I said shrugging, my fingers sneaking teasingly up his inner thigh with a feather light touch designed to turn him on.
Sidney moaned low, then grabbed my hand and placed a kiss on the palm, sending a shiver of desire racing up and down my spine. “No way Kally.” He said. “Not tonight baby.” He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and I snuggled closer to him. His presence at Shattuck’s really had changed me. But not majorly or anything. I was still me, but I wasn’t sleeping around anymore. I spent more time on my schoolwork, and my GPA was now sitting pretty much permanently at a 4.0, whereas before I was around a 3.8 most of the time. I was preparing to write the SATs again even though I’d done phenomenally well the first time, I thought I could still do better.
It didn’t mean that I respected authority anymore then I ever had, because I really didn’t. I treated my teachers and my peers the same way I always had. Except for those I liked. Which was a surprise to most people, since as far as they knew, Zach was the only person I’d ever really liked.
He pressed another soft kiss on my forehead. I looked up at him. “When do you go home kid?” I asked softly, knowing that now that the hockey season was done, it was quite possible that he would leave sooner rather then later.
“I’m gonna stick around for awhile Kally.” He said. “But I have to go home in June for the QMJHL draft. My agent and I have filed the papers declaring me eligible for the draft, and I’m probably going to go to the Rimouski Ocèanic.”
“You’ll call to let me know kid?” I asked, my fingers playing with the buttons on his dress shirt.
He nodded. “Of course I will.” He paused, his arm tightening around me. “You’ll let me know where you’re going in the fall?” He asked. “So we can keep in touch?”
“Of course I will kid.” I muttered sleepily into his chest.
He smoothed my hair softly. “Where are you going for the summer?” He asked, looking concerned. “And for Easter break for that matter.”
“Going with my Dad to Brazil for Easter.” I said. “And then this summer I’m going to spend some time with my Mom and Washington Willy, then to New York to spend some time with Grandmama and Grandpapa and touring around colleges and stuff.”
“Where have you gotten in?” He asked.
“So far? Yale, Harvard, Brown and Georgetown.” I said. “But Dad thinks I should take a gap year and just have fun. I can delay my acceptance into any of those schools for a year if I want and if my family makes a big enough donation to the school.”
“Well just promise me one thing.” He asked, squeezing my hand in his.
“Anything kid.” I said. “Don’t forget about me when you’re enjoying College life.” He said. “And keep in touch.” “Done and done kid.” I told him stretching up and kissing him softly on the lips to seal the deal. “I never want you out of my life.”

No comments: