Monday, March 3, 2008

Chapter 10 - An American Flavour

After that blow up, dinner at the Parisé’s was kind of subdued. Zach didn’t know what to say to me, Christina was scared to say anything, and Sidney and I were just kind of smirking quietly. The ride back to Shattuck’s was a blast though, Sidney and I doing our best Christina imitations the whole way. After that though, the hockey season was really going, and I didn’t get to see him much.
We said ‘hi’ in the hallways and stuff, when we saw each other, but we didn’t see much of each other. Sidney and the hockey team was on the road all the time. Thanksgiving had to be our most memorable time though because, well I could remember most of it. The one thing I did notice though, was that Sidney’s talking to me had it’s effect for other people at school.
With Sidney talking to me, and Drew and Jacky decided that it wasn’t detrimental for them to talk to me, and they started saying hi to me as well. With that, some underclassmen girls started talking to me.
It wasn’t like I became intensely popular or anything like that, but I now had people to talk to. I spent most of December planning my New Year’s Gala. Because most of us weren’t actually at Shattuck’s on New Year’s Eve, I threw a New Year’s Gala every year the weekend we all got back. You would think that since my birthday was earlier in the month I would have thrown a party for myself.
Except I had been taught early on that you never threw a birthday party for yourself. Since no one else ever bothered, my birthday passed fairly unnoticed except for the arrival of several gifts from my Mom and Washington Willy, Grandmama and Grandpapa, and to my intense surprise, one from my Dad.
Mom and Will sent me a brand new hardcover Encyclopedia set (woo hoo – clearly Willy’s idea) and Mom packed some cash and a note in the card telling me to buy myself something fun. Grandmama and Grandpapa sent me jewelry from Tiffany’s, which was pretty standard. This time it was pink diamonds in white gold… a complete set, ring, bracelet, earrings and necklace, along with a gorgeous pair of custom sunglasses.
As for my Dad, who to my intense surprise hadn’t been in Greece or Monaco, had actually been in India. He sent me a dozen sari’s in various colours, enough jewelry to fill a handmade jewelry box with my name delicately carved into the top, a bunch of CDs with Punjabi pop music, and a plane ticket to join him over Christmas.
Now if that sounds weird, it gets weirder. He included a handwritten note saying that he would love for me to join him, but he understood if I didn’t want to. I had called Grandmama and asked her what I should do. I knew the Mom would try to talk me out of it, even though she wouldn’t want me to join her and Willy for Christmas. Grandmama had apparently been talking to my Dad, so she encouraged me to go, but told me I was more then welcome in New York if I chose not too. I talked to Zach, and asked his advice.
He was still a little pissed at me (his relationship with Christina ended not long after Thanksgiving), but he told me that I should take the chance. I’d always wanted to know my father better, and if things didn’t work out, I could always fly back to the States and spend the rest of the break in The City.
He made a lot of sense. So I made up my mind. I was going to go to India and spend Christmas with my Dad. Why am I telling you this when it has really nothing to do with Sidney? Jeez you’re impatient. I’m getting to that.
Either way, I decided that I was going to go see my Dad, so after school on December 20th, after school let out, I got into the car (everyone else who was flying home got stuck in one of the shitty school vans). I had spent a little time (when I’d had it), trying to find the kid to see if he wanted to come with me in the car, because I knew he was going home to Nova Scotia for the holidays, but he was no where to be found. I think he was actually busy with hockey stuff.
I arrived at the airport about an hour later. I wasn’t flying out for another three and half-hours. Dad had arranged my flight so that I was going to fly over night. I was going to fly to New York, meet up briefly with Grandmama and Grandpapa at JFK, and then I was getting on a plane to India from there. I would arrive in India sometime in the late afternoon or early evening. Or something. I wasn’t entirely sure.
Either way, they tell you that you (since the whole September 11th horror) need to be really early when you’re flying internationally. So I was really early. I checked my luggage (I only brought one bag – I figured I was going to enjoy the shopping) and then I went off in search of something to eat.
“Kally!” A familiar voice called as I was pondering the various fast food outlets and hoping beyond hope that I could find a decent restaurant.
I turned at smiled at Sidney. “Hey kid.” I said. “You come in the van?” I asked, already knowing the answer to that.
“Yeah.” He said with a pained groan. “My flight doesn’t even leave until like, quarter after 8. But some kids are flying out at like 6 and shit, so we all had to leave early.”
“Sucks.” I said. “I tried to find you a couple of days ago to see if you wanted to come with me in the car, but I haven’t been able to catch you.”
He shrugged. “Would’ve been a nicer ride.” He said. “Instead I was fucking stuck in a smelly van with a bunch of fucking Middle School kids and the girls kept looking at me and pointing and then giggling.” He shuddered.
“Aw how cute….” I drawled with a quick grin, seeing the middle school girls who were watching us. I discreetly pointed out the girls to Sidney. “You’ve got a fan club.”
“Aw man….” He moaned.
I laughed. “Come on kid.” I said. “What red blooded guy doesn’t want a gaggle of girls chasing after him?”
Sidney moaned again. “Kally I would love have a gaggle of girls chasing after me. I’d just prefer it if they were the kind of girls that I was actually interested in.”
I grinned wickedly. “Some of them will be Sid… some day.” I said with a giggle.
“Haha Kally.” He replied sarcastically.
“Oh come on kid.” I said shoving him playfully. “You know that you’ve got a gaggle or two of girls back at Shattuck’s who’d do anything for a chance with you.”
He grinned at me. “Some of them already have Kally.” He informed me. “Not that they’ve managed to keep me or anything. I’ve gotten so much head since I’ve been here.” He informed me, looking pleased with himself.
“Thanks for sharing.” I muttered, then. “Damn you. I haven’t even gotten laid once this year.” I grumbled.
“There is an easy solution to that problem you know.” He said raising his eyebrows suggestively.
I laughed at him and smacked him playfully on the arm. “While I appreciate the offer kid I’m not sure that we have either the time or the space to do what I want to do after having gone without since August.”
“You’ve had NOTHING since then?”
“Some cuddles, kisses and a little groping.” I said, shaking my head. “Definitely not enough to satisfy me kid.”
“Poor Kally.” He said, shaking his head.
“You don’t feel sorry for me at all you bastard.” I muttered catching sight of the small grin on his face.
“I resent that.” He replied. “My parents were married a good 6 months before I was born.” He said, pretending to be indignant.
“A shot gun wedding? How cute.” I laughed. “I thought those only happened in the southern US.”
Sidney laughed. “Kally I’m from Canada. We’ve only got a yellow piece of paper that says we’re allowed to have a gun locked up in a cabinet at home.”
I laughed. I’d heard that gun control was a bigger deal in Canada then it was down here. Then I heard a voice call. “Mr. Crosby you are to stay with the rest of us!”
Sidney turned. “Sorry Mrs. Jones.” He said to the Dean of the Humanities department. “I saw Kally and I had to come wish her a Merry Christmas. Besides….” He said wryly. “It looks like most of the group has come with me.”
“You know full well that you are to stay with the group.” She snapped.
“Aw come on Mrs. Jones….” I said, rolling my eyes at Sidney. “The kid and I were just about to go and grab a bite to eat. No harm no foul right?”
“The ‘kid’.” She said distastefully. “Needs to remain with the group where he will be properly chaperoned Miss Ormonde.”
“In case you didn’t get the memo.” I snapped. “And I know you did, it’s Ormonde-Van Steen… of the New York Van Steen's.” Sidney and I finished together with a grin.
“Well Miss Ormonde-Van Steen.” Mrs. Jones snapped at me, looking about ready to well, snap. “Perhaps you also need to remain with the group. I have never approved of the special privileges you are granted and the lack of supervision your family provides.”
I raised my eyebrows. “Kind as it is of you to inform me of your feelings Mrs. Jones, if you are inferring that I am not well chaperoned my driver Stephen is checking the gifts I bought for my Mom and Washing- my step-father on the flight to Washington.” I told her. “I am more then adequately chaperoned.”
She snorted. “By a 20-something limousine driver? Unlikely. Mr. Crosby however will be rejoining the rest of us.” She paused. “If you really wish to eat with him Kallista, you will consider joining us as well.”
I raised my eyebrows. Dean or no she was not going to get away with speaking to me like this. It was unthinkable. Grandmama would lay me out for allowing this. “Mrs. Jones may I remind you that with one phone call I could have your ass served to me on a platter? I highly doubt that it would take more then that for me to receive permission for the kid to join me.”
“May I remind you Miss Ormonde-Van Steen that you are the student and I am the teacher?” She snapped.
I shrugged. “If it makes you feel better, go ahead.” I told her.
“Mr. Crosby.” She said firmly indicating he was to go with her.
“I want to stay with Kally.” He said. “If I hadn’t been so busy with hockey I would have gone with her in the first place. Plus I’ve had more the enough starring, pointing and giggling for one day thanks.”
She rolled her eyes, to both the kid and my surprise. “Of course you want to stay with Kallista.” She said. “I can’t say that I blame you because every young man to come through Shattuck’s since she was about 13 wanted to remain with Kallista. However I would be derelict in my duty to you, your moral well being, and your parents if I allow you to remain with her unsupervised.”
I looked at her archly. “Are you implying that if you leave him with me that something sexual in nature will occur?” I demanded.
“Kallista….” She said with a heavy sigh. “Everyone on staff is more then well aware of what your favourite extracurricular activity is.”
Sidney winked at me and turned to Mrs. Jones. “Is that playing the piano or the harp?” He asked, eyes wide and innocent.
I struggled not to burst out laughing. Sidney was doing a great job. “Mrs. Jones, Sidney is a friend. He and I both spent Thanksgiving at the Parisé’s. I’m sure if you called Mr. & Mrs. Parisé they would tell you that they only person I have had any sexual contact with, to the best of their knowledge, in recent months, is Zach, and since they approve, no harm no foul.”
To my surprise Mrs. Jones blushed. “I would appreciate if you would refrain from telling me of your sexual history.” She snapped. “And Sidney come with me NOW or I will be forced to inform your parents.”
“My parents? Who are eager to meet Kally again because she’s such a ‘pleasant young woman’ and has been ‘so nice’ to me since I arrived at Shattuck’s?” Sidney asked, his eyes wide and innocent once again.
Mrs. Jones sighed. “Fine. Do whatever you want.” She snapped. “You will anyway. But rest assured, you will BOTH be written up when we return after Christmas.”
I rolled my eyes. “So will you.” I said with a pleasant smile. “Since I was bright enough to press record on my cell phone. This tape will be played for my Grandmama when I arrive in New York who will play it to Mr. Stoneman and the board of governors.”
She glared at me and stormed away, leaving Sidney and I on our own where we immediately burst out laughing. “You are bad kid.” I said with a smirk. “The whole innocent act was priceless.”
He laughed too and shrugged. “I love how you don’t let her push you around. I think that’s something I’m going to have to learn how to do from you Kally, before I move on to do my thing next year in the Q.”
“So you’re going for sure?” I asked, completely disappointed.
“Yeah.” He said. “There’s too much bullshit going on with the team Kal. I can’t be here much longer.” He said. “Believe it or not, you aren’t the only person in the world people are jealous of.”

No comments: