Monday, March 3, 2008

Chapter 11 - An American Flavour

I didn’t see the kid for nearly 3 weeks. During which time I had an absolute blast with my Dad in India. He spent so much money on me, it was ridiculous (not that I was really complaining). I knew what he was doing, trying to make up for years of neglect, but like I said, I wasn’t complaining.
When we got back, Jacqui was once again with me acting as my personal assistant. She, along with Grandmama’s lawyer were in town dealing with, well anything that needed to be taken care of me. My Dad, to my surprise, had been livid when I allowed him to listen to the recording on my cell.
He was contemplating sending a security guard to be with me at all times. Like that would somehow help with the whole school whore thing. Not that I didn’t appreciate the thought or whatever, since that’s what counts.
Apparently my Dad wasn’t the wastrel my Mom had made him out to be. He actually took care of all the Van Steen’s overseas business and had in fact finished his law degree, as well as completing a business degree at Oxford in England. He even said he’d send me to a different school if things didn’t get any better.
But I thought about Sidney and Zach and Drew and Jacky and told him that I did have some good friends in Minnesota, and what with how I was so close to graduating there was no point now. The one thing Dad told me that made me feel a lot better was not to let Grandmama or Grandpapa or Mom bully me into do anything that I didn’t want to do next year. He’d taken a gap year, which he explained was a year off that British students took between writing their ‘A’ levels and college. He suggested that I do the same.
Either way, back to the party, because if I were you, that’s what I’d want to know about. I moved it to a different hall in town, invited pretty much the same crowd from the last party. The one major difference being a +40 for Zach, because he was in Minny to play the Gophers and he wanted to bring the team and the Gophers as well, after they played their Saturday night affair.
Never being one to shy away from new faces, I totally agreed. Though I wasn’t totally sure who these guys were, I thought it would be good. I’d gone and gotten extensions put in my hair and had my hair done in a style I’d seen a lot of in India. I’d decided to wear one of the saris that I’d bought in India, so my long, long (thanks to the extensions) blonde hair was braided with woven seed pearls that Dad had bought for me in India.
My eyes were outlined in Kohl, I wore pink diamonds that Dad had bought me in India, since the set my Grandparent had bought for my birthday weren’t exotic looking enough. For the record, I adore pink diamonds, in case you couldn’t tell. I looked stunning if I do say so myself. No one was going to look as good as I did tonight. Of that I was absolutely certain, as I sat in my dorm room sipping the bottle of Absolut that Jacqui had brought up from the car for me when someone knocked on my door. I put the bottle on the floor and covered it up with a coat. I didn’t want to get in shit before the party.
It was Mr. Stoneman and Mrs. Jones. I smiled. “Can I help you?” I asked.
“Miss Ormonde-Van Steen we are more then well aware that you are throwing a party tonight.” Mr. Stoneman said.
I shrugged. “And what?” I asked. “You’re going to tell my Grandmama on me? She sent her personal assistant’s personal assistant to help me out.”
“No.” He said, looking pained. “As you know your Father has suddenly taken a personal interest in your education and is threatening to sue the school for failing to provide you with a safe learning environment.”
I shrugged. “You have failed to do so.” I said. “If the staff did not concern themselves so much with my sex life they would have discouraged the other girls from speaking about it publicly and harassing me about it. Nothing has been done in all my years here to prevent the harassment.” I paused. “Despite my family’s rather large yearly contributions to the school. My Dad’s only looking out for his only child.”
“That’s why we are here Kallista.” Mrs. Jones said. “We have a proposition for you.” “Take it to my lawyer.” I said. “I’ve got a party to go to. And Zachie is bringing two hockey teams. Ima have fun tonight Mrs. Jones.” I said with a catlike smile.
“What we are here to propose Miss Ormonde-Van Steen is that your Father drop his lawsuit and we will no longer suspend you for your extracurricular activities.” Mr. Stoneman said coldly.
“You mean I could do anything I wanted?” I asked, eyebrows raised.
“So long as you maintained your academic average and did not entertain gentleman in the dorms.” He said stiffly. “We would allow you certain freedom.”
“Personally I like the idea.” I said, reaching for my bottle and taking a long swig, ignoring their horrified gazes. “But you’ll still have to take it up with my lawyer.”
“Kallista!” Mrs. Jones snapped. “May I remind you that alcohol is not permitted on school grounds or in the dorms?”
I rolled my eyes. “Didn’t you just say I could do whatever I want?” I paused and took another swig. “Besides, where I come from laws like the legal drinking age are just a suggestion.”
“Not until a settlement is reached.” Mr. Stoneman said, reaching for my drink.
“Don’t even think about it.” I said. “Or there will be no chance of a settlement.” I said. “Now if you’ll excuse me….” I said finishing my drink. “I have a party to kick off.”
“One other thing Miss Ormonde-Van Steen.” Stoney said. “We would greatly appreciate it if you terminated your friendship with young Mr. Crosby. He is the key to this team winning another title, and we can’t have him distracted.”
I rolled my eyes. “The way I distracted Zachie last year?” I asked with a wicked grin. “Oh and just so you don’t worry about it, Zachie was the last boy I entertained in here. As for the kid, maybe you should pay more attention to how the kids here interact with him.” I said. “Because like me, a lot of kids treat him like shit because they’re jealous. Be careful his family doesn’t sue too. Telling me to end my friendship with him is like telling Zach to stop wanting to fuck me. Never going to happen.”
With that I brushed past them, handing Mrs. Jones my empty bottle as I did so. I was totally going to win this. And I wasn’t going to get suspended for having parties anymore. That meant I could throw one every month if I wanted. Maybe the Tier I team DID win the Nationals I’d throw one. That would be cool.
I got to the venue and immediately ordered Jacqui to open a bottle of Cris and pour me a glass. “Yes Miss Kallista. Right away Miss Kallista.” Was the phrase of the day. I got to the venue around 8, as was my standard. Most of my guests wouldn’t arrive until 9:30 or 10:00 but Sidney and his boys, Drew and Jacky, showed up around 8:30.
“Kally you look smoking babe.” Was Drew’s first comment.
“Thanks honey.” I said, double kissing him.
I kissed Jack and Sidney on both cheeks too, holding onto Sidney a little longer then I probably should have. Within minutes I had them nearly rolling on the floor laughing as I told them about Mrs. Jones and Stoney’s visit to my dorm room.
“Mrs. Jones is probably have a fit in Stoney’s office right now.” Jacky said as I told them how I’d handed her my empty drink bottle. “Telling him that they should bail on the deal.” I laughed. “And then my Daddy and my Grandparents will have her job. That’s the way it works. As it is I am going to have a hard time talking my newly interested Father into dropping the lawsuit.”
I downed another glass of Cris as Sidney did the same. I had totally had an effect on his tastes. He dressed better now then he did when he got here. It was tight. The other boys were still drinking beer. I snapped my fingers. “Yes Miss Kallista?” A server asked.
“A bottle of Corvoursier please.” I said firmly, deciding that something had to be done about the other boys’ tastes.
“Yes Miss Kallista. Right away Miss.” The server replied. From there on the evening became a bit of a blur. Sidney, Jacky, Drew and I got the dance floor started around 10. Around 11, I had the DJ play some Punjabi music and I belly danced for everyone (something I learned over Christmas of course). Since the guys outnumbered the girls 2 to 1, it was very appreciated. I was extremely drunk when Zach and his boys (all 40 of them) showed up around 11:30 and I spent some time making out on the dance floor with one or two or three of them (not sure how many, but I do know that it was more then one). Zach didn’t look impressed and he grabbed me and he and I started to dance dirty and make out a little bit.
I stumbled into the bathroom not long after that. Only to see a very familiar guy with his pants around his ankles in one of the stalls (the door was unlocked and I’d pushed in to the first stall), and a girl busy taking care of business so to speak. “I’m sorry.” I squeaked backing away as Sidney blushed a deep shade of red.
I couldn’t look at him without giggling for the rest of the night. I mean, it was too funny. Right before Christmas he’d told me that he’d been getting a lot of head. Now I had first hand evidence. I let the guys take the car back to Shattuck’s and I headed back to St. Paul in one of the vans with Zach. He’d made it very clear what he wanted to do that night, so I told Jacqui to send a car for me tomorrow at 11:00 to the Parisé’s and that she was to wrap things up at the venue.
If you don’t know what Zachie and I spent the rest of the night doing, well then you’re too young to be reading this in the first place. Suffice it to say that nearly 5 months of frustration was totally and thoroughly eased by my darling Zachie. He left around 6 to go to the hotel to catch the vans back to North Dakota, kissing me on the forehead before he left.
I ate breakfast with Mr. & Mrs. Parisé who were not in the least surprised to find me in their house. I knew that Zach had probably told his Dad that I was there, because I heard him wake his Dad to take him to the hotel.
When I got back to Shattuck’s I ran right into Sidney. Like literally. “Hey Kally.” He said blushing, clearly remembering the night before.
I grinned. “Nice equipment kid.” I said smirking, looking directly at his crotch.
“Haha Kally.” He said sarcastically.
“No I’m serious kid.” I said still smirking. “And I’ve seen more then enough equipment in my day to make that kind of comparison.”
“And you more then saw some more last night huh Kal?” He asked, winking at me and realizing that I was in the same clothes I’d been wearing the night before, my shoes in my hand. “Let’s just put it this way kid.” I said with a smile. “Nearly 5 months of frustration were totally taken care of by Zachie last night. And again early this morning.” I added.
Sidney laughed. “So you missed Church.” He said. “And Mrs. Jones is on the war path.” He warned me. “She came by the dorm rooms of every guy who was at the party last night, and she’s furious that you can’t be found.”
I shrugged. “She should have called the Parisé’s.” I said. “I had breakfast with Mr. and Mrs. Parisé before I bothered calling the car.”
I just thought that I’d warn you.” He said with a shrug.
“Miss Ormonde-Van Steen.” Mrs. Jones snapped from behind me. “Come with me immediately!”
I shrugged and rolled my eyes at the kid. Turning I followed her into her office. “I apologize Mr. Van Steen.” She said. “I have no idea where your daughter was last night. Usually our supervision is not this lax.”
“Dad!” I cried surprised.
“Kallista, sweetie I was worried. I arrived early this morning only to be told that you were no where to be found. Where on earth were you?” He asked, more worried then anything else. “I umm threw my New Year’s Gala at one of the halls in town last night Dad. It’s kind of a tradition here, only not one the school, umm approves of.”
I blushed as I continued. “My friend Zach Parisé, his Dad is the Director of Hockey Operations here, came up from Minny, where he was playing hockey against the Gophers with a bunch of the guys and I spent the night at the Parisé’s.” I said. “You can ask Mr. Parisé when he gets back later today. I had breakfast with him and his wife.”
“The lawyer called and said that the school wanted to discuss the settlement.” Dad said. “I flew in overnight from London.” He told me.
“Sorry Dad.” I said. “I didn’t know you were coming. Or I would have been here.” “I’m just glad that you’re okay baby.” He said gathering me in his arms and hugging me tightly.
“You should be aware Mr. Van Steen that your daughter has been sexually involved with Zach for several years, with the Parisé’s approval.” Mrs. Jones said disapprovingly, smirking at me. "I thought you should know.”
My Dad didn’t disappoint me. “Excuse me Mrs. Jones, but I was not aware that your job, as Dean of Humanities involved commentary or critique on your students’ sexual practices. If I were your attourney I would suggest you stop now, before you incriminate yourself further. However since I am not, feel free to continue. You are merely bolstering my case against this so-called school.”

No comments: