Monday, March 3, 2008

Chapter 13 - An American Flavour

True to his word, Sidney left to go home in early June. I was with him when his parents came to get him. I had helped him pack up his things over the past few days and we stood, my hand tucked in his, as his parents arrived in the rental car.
I’d offered Sidney Stephen and the car for the day, but his parents had refused. As his Dad put the last of his things in his car, I felt the tears welling up in my eyes.
“I guess this is it Kally.” Sidney said, softly, brushing an errant piece of hair behind my ear for the last time.
“I guess it is kid.” I said, the tears spilling over.
“Hey….” He said softly, brushing away my tears. “Don’t cry Kally. Please.” He whispered his voice cracking slightly, pulling me close.
“I’m sorry.” I whispered sniffling. “But this has been the best year I’ve ever spent here.” I told him. “And it is because of you kid.” I told him.
“No one would ever talk to me other then Zach before you got here. Now, other people talk to me, and it’s because of you. Now you’re leaving and I don’t know what’s going to happen.”
He hugged me tighter. “You made this year one of the most fun years of my life. You helped me to realize that you can deal with people and not let them walk all over you. I’ll call as soon as I get home baby.” He told me firmly.
I nodded into his chest, my tears soaking his shirt. His hand smoothed my hair softly and I could feel his parents and Mr. Stoneman watching us. Stoney, I knew, was watching us through gritted teeth. He’d never approved of our friendship and he probably approved of this even less.
“I’ll be waiting.” I told him, my arms wrapped tightly around his waist.
“We’ll keep in touch Kally I promise.” He said, he smiled down at me. “And remember, I don’t break promises to pretty girls.”
I gave him a watery chuckle. “Well don’t let those girls up in Cole Harbour treat you like too much of a hero.” I told him firmly. “Remember, I know exactly what you are kid… and what you’ve got to work with.” I teased him.
Sidney laughed and glanced around. “I want to kiss you.” He confessed. “But not in front of my parents, my little sister and Stoney.”
I nodded and stretched up, kissing him on both cheeks the way I always did. “Behave yourself kid.” I told him softly, knowing that I couldn’t watch him leave without balling. “And don’t forget to let me know where you’re going to be playing next year.”
“Done and done Kally.” He said, squeezing me tightly one last time dropping a quick kiss on my forehead.
“Bye kid.” I said, turning and fleeing.
I hurried straight to my dorm room. I didn’t want to stay here, but there were only a couple of weeks left until graduation. I had six years worth of crap in my room. I needed to get it packed up. So as Sidney and his family pulled away from Shattuck’s, I packed my things. I had no idea where I was going to end up next year and no idea what I wanted out of life.
True to his word, Sidney called me early that evening. “Hey Kally.” He said when I picked up. “I don’t have a ton of time to talk.” He said. “My Mom and Dad have a ton of people coming over. But I promised you I’d call.”
“Thanks kid.” I said, sniffling. “I miss you already.” I told him. “So does Anna. She forgot you were leaving and made your favourite.”
Sidney chuckled. “Well tell Anna I’m sorry, but I’m sure it was good.”
I shrugged. “I couldn’t tell you.” I said. “I didn’t have much of an appetite. I’m thinking about calling Grandmama and asking to finish the year off at home.”
“It’s only a couple of weeks Kally.” Sidney reminded me gently. “You did this for years and years before we met. I’m sure you can handle a couple of weeks.”
I shrugged again. “I’m not sure I want to deal with it.” I told him. “I have no idea what I want to do next year, and everyone thinks I’m a brat because I can’t chose between the top six schools on the East Coast.”
I could see Sidney shrugging. “Do whatever is going to make you happy Kally. You know that’s why I decided to come back to Canada instead of staying at Shattuck’s. If you were going to be there again next year I might have stayed. But you’re off to College, and I didn’t want to be the male version of you for those assholes. No offense.”
“None taken.” I chuckled. “Jealous people suck. You tore it up this year kid. You be proud of yourself and make sure you go number one over all in this draft thing.”
Sidney laughed. “I’ll try my best Kally.” He said.
“You better.” I told him.
“I’m sorry baby.” He said, his voice low. “But I have to go. I’m sorry.”
“No worries.” I said with a shrug looking around my partially packed dorm room. “Just remember, you promised to call when this draft thing happens.” I said pausing. “I….”
“Take care of yourself Kally.” Sidney interrupted me. “I’ll talk to you soon, I promise.” Soon wasn’t soon enough for me. As I curled up in my dorm room that night I cried myself to sleep. The next couple of weeks were going to be unbearable and I knew it. Especially since “soon” in Sidney vocabulary and “soon” in mine meant two different things.
I knew that he was probably busy, with the draft coming up and all, but part of me was hurt. The emails I’d been sending him were long and personal, and all I was getting back were one lined replies. I began to think that he didn’t care anymore.
So in the bikinis that Grandmama had sent me from New York, I took to spending hours lounging outside my dorm, enjoying the sunshine as I did my homework and studied for my exams. Not unlike the last time I was lounging outside, it didn’t take long for me to attract the attention of the girls who hated me because they could never be me.
“God Kallista.” Sarah Meridith snarled at me one day as I was studying for Calculus. “What?” I demanded angrily, rolling over. “Can’t you see I’m trying to study?”
“Yeah right.” Natalie snorted.
I rolled my eyes. “You sound like a horse.” I informed her, pausing. “Come to think of it, you look like one too.”
“Are you going fishing again Kallista?” Katie asked nastily. “Now that the phenom went home?”
“Darling how many times do I have to tell you. I do not fish. I do not need to. You on the other hand would need some very attractive bait to attract, well anything.” I said, looking her over critically.
“I’ll have you know that I’ve been dating Matt Smaby since New Years.” She said. I clapped my hands quietly, golf style. “Bravo darling. Do you want a medal?” I asked, eyebrows raised.
“At least I managed to snag my boy.” She snapped.
“Yeah.” Natalie replied. “The phenom left on you. He clearly didn’t care about you one way or the other or he would have stayed for the rest of the year.”
“The kid is eligible for this year’s QMJHL draft.” I said. “He’s declared his eligibility and he needs to be at home to talk to the teams with the top three picks. He’s got scouts who want to see him and they aren’t coming down to Minnesota to do that.” I informed them. “Not that it is any of your business. Besides, Smaby is not much of a prize. You guys can be losers together.” “As opposed to be a loser all by yourself?” Sarah said in a snarky tone.
I shrugged. “Darling I am many things. But a loser I am not.” I paused. “While you spend the summer working, I am going to spend it shopping, lounging and visiting Colleges and Universities that will do just about anything to get me to go there.”
“That’s only because your family has money.” Katie snapped.
I shrugged. “And is there something wrong with that?” I asked. “I mean, other then the fact that I have it and you don’t.”
“Bitch.”
I rose. I’d had enough of this. “Look I was just sitting here trying to study for my last final. I didn’t want to talk to any of you. You came and started talking at me. You deserve everything I dish out and more.” I snapped. “I know that you’re all jealous because I have money, I’m gorgeous, guys adore me, I’m smart and I’m talented. I get that. We only have to be in the same place for a couple more days. Then the only place you will see me is Page 6.” I said. “And I will never see any of you insignificant little bitches again. So fuck off and leave me alone.” My cell phone rang before they could answer. Unknown Name, Unknown Number flashed on the screen. “Hello?” I answered, not knowing who it could be.
“Kally baby!” Sidney’s voice replied.
“Sidney!” I replied happily, smiling toothily at the girls. “How’s it going kid?”
“I just got drafted.” He replied, sounding absolutely thrilled.
“Number one kid?” I demanded.
“Number one baby.” He answered and I could almost see him smiling happily.
“Did you at least get a hair cut before kid?” I asked teasingly.
“Yes.” He replied chuckling. “It’s short and no longer blonde.”
“Thank God.” I replied. “You looked horrible.” I said as I completely ignoring Natalie, Katie and Sarah who were standing around listening. “So where are you going kid?” “Rimouski.” He said excited. “They have a lot of young talent.” He told me. “But they said they need an impact player and they think I can be that impact player.”
“And Rimouski is where kid?” I asked.
“In Quèbec.” He replied.
“And do you even speak French kid?” I asked, not knowing what language he took. I could see him blushing as he replied. “No, not really.” He said. “But my agent says most people in Rimouski don’t speak English, so I’ll learn pretty quickly I hope. At least enough to get by baby.”
“Well I for one am so proud of you kid.” I said with a smile. “You deserve it!”
“Thanks baby.” He replied. “But I have to call my grandparents… you’re the first person I called and my Mom and Dad want to call a ton of people, plus there are a bunch of media people here waiting for me.”
I nodded. “Of course kid.” I said, smiling sadly. “You keep in touch. Where are you by the way?” I asked. “Are you going to be home soon?” I asked.
“Hold on a second Kally. I’m not sure.” He said. I could hear muffled sounds of Sidney asking someone when he was going home. “We’ll be home next week.” He replied. “Why?” “You just got drafted first overall kid.” I said, with a shrug. “I figure that’s present worthy.”
“Oh yeah that reminds me.” He said. “I left something for you in the top drawer of your dresser baby. But don’t open it until you graduate.”
“Can do.” I replied intrigued. The top drawer of my dresser was my underwear drawer. So I hadn’t packed it up yet. “I miss you kid.”
“I miss you too Kally.” He replied. “Well when I have time to miss you.” He amended. “But I have to go baby. I’ll talk to you again soon.” He said.
“Okay. Take care kid.” I said, feeling sad.
“Kally I…” He said slowly. “Just a minute Mom.” He snapped. “Kally come see me if you have some time okay?” He said. “I mean, I know that I don’t have that much time, but I would love to see you baby.”
“I’ll see what I can do kid.” I replied. “Take care.”
For some reason, Sidney and I hanging up was the cue for Natalie to snort again. “You are so pathetic Kallista.” She said.
“Just go fuck yourself Natalie.” I snapped. “Since no one else ever will.”
I stood, grabbed my things and headed up to my dorm room. I wanted to know what Sidney had bought me, but I also needed to get him something. I called Cartier and ordered a custom made watch. They were going to make it and ship it to Sidney in Cole Harbour.
A week later I opened the tissue wrapped package that he’d left for me. I hadn’t heard from him about the watch, but I knew that he’d received it.
In the package was a little note telling me how much he cared about me and how much he was going to miss me and how much he wished I could go with him. I smiled as I saw what he’d given me. It was identical to the necklace he always wore… it was a good luck charm he’d told me.
I put it on immediately. Suddenly, reading that note, and knowing the thought he probably put into this, I knew exactly what I wanted to do next year. I made a couple of quick phone calls. There was a University in Rimouski and I could take some classes, live up there and spend time with Sidney. I would tell my Grandparents and my Mom when I saw them at Graduation. They wouldn’t freak out on me in front of everyone and I knew that my Dad would support me. Going to Rimouski was going to be my gap year. I would have fun in Canada, and I would find out what there really was between Sidney and I.

No comments: