Monday, March 3, 2008

Chapter 7 - An American Flavour

No surprise, I was suspended from everything but my dorm room for the next two weeks, but it was worth it. The party was the talk of the town not to mention the only thing anyone was talking about at Shattuck’s. Or at least, that’s what Sidney told me in his emails. He kept me up to date about everything that I needed to know about Shattuck’s. But then the hockey season was in full swing.
Sidney was too busy scoring goals and setting up his teammates to have much time for me. Zach and I weren’t on speaking terms, so when my phone rang about a week before Thanksgiving I was surprised. “Hello?” I said.
“Kally?” Zach’s voice said.
“Yeah?” I asked.
“Umm I’m calling to ask if you’re still coming for Thanksgiving.” He asked. “Mom and Dad still think you’re coming.”
I paused. I honestly hadn’t thought about it. “Umm do you want me to come?” I asked. “Well what will you do if you don’t?” He asked. “I mean, I know you’re still mad at me and all, but if you’ve got no where to go….”
“I can stay in the dorms with the foreign students.” I said with a shrug. “It’s no big deal Zach.”
“Of course it is.” He snapped. “You shouldn’t have to spend Thanksgiving by yourself. I’ll tell Mom to expect you and Sidney.”
“If you’re sure Parisé, I’ll be there.” I said.
“I’m sure.” He replied. “You’re still my best girl Kally, whether you believe it or not.” So a week later, there I was in a limo with Sidney on our way into St. Paul. I hadn’t seen much of him since I’d come off suspension because I was behind in my schoolwork and was spending nearly every waking moment in the library studying.
Sidney, to his credit never once asked about Zach and I, though I could tell that he was curious. He had been since the morning of the party. We chatted about hockey and soccer and the NHL season that was just underway. In fact we chatted about everything BUT Zach. I knew full well that he’d be there, but I just didn’t want to think about it.
Unfortunately, we got to the Parisé’s just as Zach was arriving from North Dakota… with Christina in the car. Stephen opened the door and doffed his cap. “Miss Kallista.” He said politely as he helped me out of the car. “Master Sidney.”
“Thank you Stephen.” I said with a smile, knowing that I looked far better then Christina did. She had her hair pulled up in a messy little ponytail, and was wearing sweats. I was wearing stilettos and a gorgeous knee length skirt with sequin patterned turquoise and pink flowers and a pink silk top edged delicately in lace. “Could you please bring in the bags.”
“Of course Miss Kallista.” He said, smiling back at me. “Right away Miss.”
“Thank you Stephen.” I said, going over and air kissing Zach. “Zachie.” I said with a smile that he would know was, well fake.
“Kallista.” He said somewhat coldly, which surprised me, since he had called me his ‘best girl’ only a week before.
“Hi Christina.” I said, deciding that if this was war, then I was going to win. I kept the fake smile plastered on my face. “How was your trip?”
“Fine thanks.” She replied, a fake smile plastered on his face. “And yours?” “Wonderful wasn’t it Sidney?” I said, taking his arm.
He looked at me oddly at first, but then he smiled and nodded. “Traveling with Kally is always wonderful.” He said.
Mrs. Parisé came out of the house then and hugged first Zach, and then me air kissing as she did so, ignoring Christina. “Kally sweetheart it is so nice to see you again. You look wonderful darling. It’s been too long… you know you don’t need this boy of mine to come visit. You’re welcome here anytime.”
“I’ll keep that in mind Mrs. Parisé.” I said glancing slyly at Christina, who looked less than impressed.
“And thank you for bringing Sidney with you darling.” She said. “We promised his parents we’d look after him and you’ve made it that much easier.”
“No problem Mrs. Parisé.” I said smiling at the kid.
She hugged Sidney next, and continued to ignore Christina. “It’s nice to see you too Sidney.” She said. “You’ve grown again I swear.”
Sidney grinned pleased. “Probably.” He said. “My Mom said at Canadian Thanksgiving that I’ve grown since September.”
“Ma’am? Miss?” Stephen asked Mrs. Parisé and I as he came up to us, Sidney and my bags slung over his body.
“Right this way, umm, you aren’t Juan.” Mrs. Parisé said. “I’m sorry dear, I don’t know your name.”
“Mrs. Parisé this is Stephen.” I said politely.
“Come in everyone.” She said with a smile, having not yet greeted Christina. “Christina, I’ve put you in the first guestroom.” She said. “Sidney, I put you in the second guestroom. Zach, you know where your room is.”
“What about her?” Christina asked pointedly, clearly put out that she wasn’t going to be allowed to sleep with Zach.
Mrs. Parisé smiled. “Kally darling, I wasn’t sure what to do with you.” She said, shrugging. “Are you staying with Zach again? Or do you want to share a room with Christina?” I glanced at Zach. “Am I staying with you Zachie like I have every other time I’ve been here?” I asked, eyebrows raised, letting Christina know that while she had been put on probation, I hadn’t been.
“Umm maybe its better that you don’t this trip Kally.” Zach said sheepishly, glancing at Christina.
“I don’t want to stay with her….” Christina whined.
Mrs. Parisé glared at her. “And where do you propose Kally sleep?” She asked harshly. “Well if I just stayed with Zach.” She said. “Then she could stay in the first guestroom. I mean, I stayed in the guestroom last time, and Zach’s stayed in the guestroom at my parents house the first time and then we shared my room the second.”
“That.” Mrs. Parisé said scathingly. “Is because your parents like my son. I am not sure yet that I like their daughter. Especially since she cannot refer to my son’s closest friend by her first name.”
Zach sent me a glance that clearly said ‘Help me.’ I shrugged. “I can understand Christina being jealous Mrs. Parisé.” I said with a sugary sweet smile at the girl. “I mean, they always say that boys marry their mother, and you and I clearly have far more in common then you and Christina. But if she doesn’t want to share a room with me….” I paused and then looked at Sidney. “You up to sharing kid?” I asked.
Sidney’s eyes widened. “Wh… wh… what did you say Kally?” He stammered.
“I asked if you were up to sharing a room.” I said with a shrug. “Christina and Zach don’t want to share with me, and I highly doubt that Mr. & Mrs. Parisé want to share.”
Zach chuckled, only to be silenced by a look from Christina. “Damn Zachie, she must be talented.” I said. “I’ve never known you to be, well whipped.”
Mrs. Parisé hid a smile, and the kid grinned at me. “Sure we can share Kally.” He said, then he looked at Mrs. Parisé. “Just don’t tell my Mom.”
Christina looked at me archly. “Don’t worry Sidney.” She said in her pathetic attempt at my sugary sweet tone. “We won’t tell anyone that you had to room with the whore.”
I almost laughed. She may have been able to imitate me badly, and she may think that she could play my game, but she was in way over her head. Mrs. Parisé raised her eyebrows angrily. “What did you just say?” She demanded, but she didn’t wait for an answer. “Zachary I did not raise you like this. Either that girl apologizes to Kally or she gets out of my house.” Zach’s eyes pleaded with Christina. “I’m sorry Kallista.” She said sourly. “I was out of line.”
I shrugged. “No hard feelings.” I said the fake smile plastered on my face, because, well of course there are hard feelings. She was being a bitch. Then I turned to Stephen who had been waiting patiently the entire time. “Sidney can you show Stephen where our room is?” I asked. “Thank you for being so patient.”
“No problem Miss Kallista. Will you be needing me again today?” He asked when he got back from dropping our bags.
“Umm, I’m not sure.” I said. “I’ll call you if we need you.”
“Of course Miss.” He said with a smile, knowing that I was keeping him on call, which meant he could sit around until he was needed and would still get paid.
“Why don’t you guys go to the mall?” Mrs. Parisé asked, referring of course to the Mall of America that was about an hour away in Minneapolis. “Of course Christina, you may want to change.”
“I guess we will be needing you after all Stephen.” I said.
Christina rolled her eyes at me. “Of course we have to take the limo. God you are the most pretentious person I have ever met.”
“Darling, I’ve said it before, I am a Van Steen of the New York Van Steen's. My family has lived in The City since it was New Amsterdam, when the Prince of Orange gave them a land grant. The King of England later confirmed that land grant.” I smiled wickedly. “Of course I’m pretentious. People with as much money as my family has usually are. We are taking the car because it’s being paid for anyway. This way Zach doesn’t have to pay for gas. Plus it is far more comfortable then his car.”
Mrs. Parisé and Zach both laughed. They’ve heard this speech a dozen times. The kid kind of grinned, and 20 minutes later, Sidney and Zach having changed into dress shirts on my suggestion over their jeans, and Christina having changed into something that I guess she thought was an outfit, we were getting into the back of the car. “Miss Kallista.” Stephen said politely as he held the door for me.
“Thank you Stephen.” I said with a smile.
He held the door for Sidney and Zach, but didn’t for Christina, forcing her to pull the door closed. He winked at me in the rearview mirror as he raised the privacy glass and I couldn’t help but grin.
“So Christina.” I started in the polite conversational tone I’d learned from my Grandmama. “What are you studying at school?”
“I’m just taking general classes.” She replied through gritted teeth. “But I don’t know why the fuck you’re asking.”
“I was raised to be polite darling. Even when I’m being rude.” I said with a shrug. “Well you’re definitely good at that.” She snapped. Then she turned to Zach. “And what the hell was that with your Mother? She always stays in your room?”
“My Mom adores Kally Chrissy. I told you that. I know that you don’t like her because, well, we were fuck buddies, but you can’t talk about her that way in front of my Mom.” He explained. “Because Mom will take Kally’s side every single time. Kally could literally call you a two-bit whore and Mom would back her up.”
“But that’s not fair….” She whined. “I’m your girlfriend now.”
I rolled my eyes. “Darling how many times do I have to say it? I was never Zachie’s girlfriend. We had sex. Lots of it.” I added with a wink for the kid. “In public places. In my dorm room; in his dorm room; in the locker room; in his Dad’s office; in Stoney’s office; on the roof of the dorms; in the shower; in his parents bed. In fact, I think we christened this house before his parents could.”
“Enough Kally.” Zach said through gritted teeth. “You aren’t helping.”
“Zachie I haven’t even started on you yet.” I warned. “You were the guy who was always telling me that it was so stupid how girls treated me. It was okay for every guy on the hockey team to fuck and chuck at will, but when I did it, I was blacklisted. You are the one that made angry. I shrugged it off. Yet here you are dating a girl who thinks I’m a whore. Why? Because I fuck guys out of lust instead of worrying about love? I’m sure love is great Zachie, because we were always good together, since we loved each other, even if we weren’t in love, but I haven’t been there. I live my life with no limits, no fear, and no apologies for how I chose to do it.”
I paused, taking a deep breath. “I’ve only ever had one rule. And that’s don’t hurt the people you love. I thought it was one that you followed too. I guess I was wrong.”

No comments: