Monday, May 12, 2008

Chapter 14 - Wait for You

The sound of sadness went off at 5 a.m. the next morning. I promptly hit the snooze button only to be awakened by the annoyance again 10 minutes later. Then I remembered where I was was. Here. With him. His arm was still draped around my waist and he was quietly breathing. I untangled myself from him and turned to watch him sleep. I swallowed hard. He looked so peaceful. So young; yet so grown.


His eyes fluttered open and he smiled when he saw me.


“Good morning, sunshine,” he mumbled.


“Good morning, sleepyhead.”


He reached out to me with his arms. “Come back to bed, baby. I don’t want you to go. Call them and tell them you’re coming with me.”


I laughed. “I wish it was that easy.”


“I know.” He sighed and sat upright. I moved in closer allowing him to hold me while I rested my head on his shoulders. “I ordered us breakfast last night before you got here. It should be here about 5:45.”


“You’re so sweet.”


“I may not be from the south, but even I know the way to a person’s heart is through food.”


“You are correct on that front,” I said giving him a peck on the cheek. I reluctantly got out of the bed and went to my bag and pulled out my clothes. I wasn’t for sure what to say to him. I mean, this was it. After today, we’d exchange the occasional e-mail and even those would fade out over time. He may not believe it now; but I knew that’s the way it would end up.


I got ready and came out to repack everything I needed to and make sure I had accounted for everything. I folded Sidney’s t-shirt and laid it on the end of the bed. When he emerged from the bathroom, I was sitting outside again admiring the quietness of the morning.


“You really like it out here, huh?”


“Yeah, I do. It’s beautiful and peaceful.”


“If you think this is amazing, you should see my place in Nova Scotia. It’s on the water in a gated community. No one to bother me. Nothing to worry about it. It’s ideally the best place to be to get away.”


“Home is my getaway. It’s on the water in Savannah, but usually not so peaceful with everyone there.”


A knock on the door signaled that our time together was coming to an end. Sidney had ordered fruit, cereal and yogurt. We enjoyed our breakfast on the balcony and when we were finished, I just stared off into the distance. What to say? What to do? I wasn’t sure.


“Katie, this doesn’t have to be the end.”


I just stared at him. It was as if he could read my mind and know at that moment, I wasn’t for sure how to end this.


“Sidney, we’ve been there. We live two different lives. Two different worlds. Two different directions.”


“We don’t have to in the future. Katie, don’t give up on me and you. I know what I’m feeling, and I want to explore it. I understand what’s going on with you, and I respect that. Things can’t be rushed. If it’s meant to be, it will.”
“This,” I said pointing between the two of us, “is hard for me. I have no idea what to do, what to say or how to explain what I’m feeling. Hell, I walked into a hotel room a week ago and met you for the first time. That’s messed up, Crosby.”


“Life is full of unexpected events. You take them as they come. Don’t be a pessimist when you haven’t given yourself…”


I silenced him there with a kiss. “Life is full of unexpected events and when given the opportunity you make the most of them.”


“Oh baby.”


“I don’t make promises I can’t keep, Sidney. No offense, but I think it’s best for both of us if we just keep this as a causal more than friends thing. No promises beyond the next day and no expectations beyond satisfying each other. Roll with the waves, baby. You drive me crazy. You know what you do to me, and if my mama ever found out, I’d be a dead daughter.”


He laughed. “You think I’m kidding? She’s Mrs. Southern Charm Etiquette. God, if she knew I even had my hands on you; I’d be locked in a tower for the rest of my life.”


“Well, you best not be telling your mum about this.” He kissed me hard and took his hands and put them underneath my shirt and ran them over my stomach and up to the bottom of my bra. “The good boy in me says I shouldn’t, and I want to be good, so I’ll wait to tease you until you’re ready for that. But, just know this…” And he pushed himself against me. I felt it, and I knew exactly what he meant.


I didn’t want to break from him, but I had to. I had 15 minutes to get downstairs and on the bus. I broke the kiss and just stared at him.


He pulled me close and whispered, “You don’t have to say that word.”


“Thank you for a wonderful and amazing time. Good luck today.”


“You too. Don’t give up on me Katie. Just remember I’m waiting for you.”


And with that, I picked up my bag and walked to the door, gave him a peck on the cheek one last time and turned and walked away.

No comments: