Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Girl Next Door Chapter 62

“Well, nice to see you too,” Kate said in response to his reaction.
“You didn’t tell me you were coming,” he said, closing the door and walking towards Kate with a big smile on his face.
“It’s a long story,” Kate replied. “I missed you.”
Kate could tell that he had missed her too as he leaned in and kissed her. Kate leaned back on the bed and he rolled on top of her as they continued to kiss. A few minutes later, as Sidney moved his right hand under her shirt and up her back, they heard a knock on the door.
“So, I don’t hear talking,” Trina said through the door.
“We’re talking Mom,” Sidney replied, his face beet red in embarrassment.
“Let’s not forget that I’m right down the hall, as is your ten year old sister,” Trina continued.
“We’ll be out in a second,” Sidney replied. That reassured Trina and they heard her walk back down the hall a second later, and Sidney got up. “Sorry about that.”
“It’s fine,” Kate said, sitting up and running her fingers through her hair. “So, how was training today?”
“It went well,” he replied as he changed his shirt. “You ever going to tell me how you got here?”
“I took a plane.”
“Smartass.” He leaned in and kissed her again.
“Our parents apparently had this planned for weeks. And you’ll be happy to know I’m here for a week, so you’ll have to deal with my smartass ways for that long.” Kate laughed as she opened the door, and Sidney wrapped his arms around her waist to stop her. She turned around and faced him.
“I’m glad you came,” he said as he kissed her yet again.
A few seconds later, they heard a “Why don’t you two go get a room?”
“Taylor, shut up,” Sidney replied. They broke apart, and they walked hand-in-hand to the kitchen.
“So, Mom, what’s for dinner?” Sidney asked.
“Of course that’s your first question for me,” Trina laughed. “We’re having grilled chicken, so naturally, you’re making that. I already started the grill, your dad will be home any minute. We’re also having potatoes and green beans.”
“Can I help with anything?” Kate asked.
“Sure,” Trina responded, smiling. “Could you make the salad?”
“Sure,” Kate replied.
“I already have everything out over there,” Trina said, pointing to a counter. “I need you to chop everything up and then just mix it with the bags of salad mix.”
“No problem.” Kate got to work on the salad as Sidney checked on the grill.
“So, Mom, why didn’t you tell me Kate was coming?”
“Sid, haven’t you ever heard of a surprise? It was kind of obvious that you missed her, the way you were moping around the house.”
Kate laughed as Sidney blushed. “I was not moping around the house,” he replied.
“Yes, you were. So we decided to call Tom and Sarah and see if we could do something about that. They didn’t tell Kate until yesterday that she was coming, so this was a surprise for her too.”
When Sidney was about to put the chicken on the grill, Kate finished up the salad, and Troy got home.
“Kate, nice to see you!” he said as he walked over and gave her a hug.
“Nice to see you too, thanks for having me.”
“Well, it’s our pleasure. It’s nice not to see Sidney moping around.”
“Dad, I was not moping.” He put the pieces of chicken on the grill.
“Okay, Sid.” Troy winked at Kate and she laughed as he headed back inside.
“So,” Kate said as she stood next to Sidney, “I guess you can’t live without me, huh?”
“Oh yeah, you know it,” he said, laughing. The two of them stood there as he grilled the chicken, and Kate leaned up against him.
Soon, the chicken was done, and Sidney brought it in and placed it on the table, which Taylor had set. They sat down and said grace, and then they dug in.
“So Kate, how were your flights today?” Troy asked as he got his food.
“Good. I had to run to catch my flight to Halifax, but other than that it was good.”
“And how was your family?” Sidney asked with a sly grin on his face.
Kate rolled her eyes, and told a few stories. Everyone laughed, and that brought up more stories about their families. After dinner, Trina made Taylor do the dishes so Kate and Sidney could catch up.
“Want to go for a walk? I’ll show you around,” Sidney asked.
“Sure, I’d love to,” Kate replied, giving his hand a quick squeeze.

No comments: