Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Part 13 - Nobody's Perfect

By eleven thirty that night, I was sure that Dion had lied. Sidney hadn’t come by, though several of his teammates had. Mike Richards, who was in for the CHL Awards, had also come by, along with Jeff Carter and a couple of the other boys from Team Canada who were there for the awards.

But when Sidney hadn’t showed up by eleven thirty I gave up, and put on a pair of sweat pants (ones that once belonged to Dion, like most of my sweats) and a tank top. I crawled into bed, and took a book with me, thinking that I could read until I fell asleep.

This must have been exactly what I did, because the next thing I knew, someone was pounding on the door of my room. I rolled over with a moan and looked at the clock. It was only seven. “Fuck.” I muttered to myself as I literally rolled out of bed.

I pulled the door open. “What do you want?” I demanded.

“To kiss you….” Sidney said, pulling me into his arms as he stepped into the room, letting the door shut behind us.

His lips closed over mine and I moaned low. “Sidney….”

“I’m sorry Drew.” He murmured, his arms holding me prisoner. “I wanted to come and see you last night, but I had to go to the trainer. I took some nasty hits last night.”

I snuggled closer. “I know you did.” I said. “I was watching, and screaming with the best of them.”

“Yeah, Dad said that you yelled some interesting things at some of the refs.” Sidney chuckled with a grin.

“What can I say?” I said with a shrug, as I buried my face in his chest. “You smell good.”

Sidney burst out laughing. “So the reason you yell interesting things at officials is because I smell good?” He teased.

“Exactly.” I told him with a grin. “The refs need to make calls because when they don’t, you get all cranky and sweaty and then you don’t smell good anymore.”

Sidney laughed. “Drew I’m going to smell bad at the end of games, no matter what. That padding reeks.”

“I don’t know how you even manage to put it on.” I said, wrinkling my nose in distaste. “It’s disgusting.”

Sidney chuckled. “Remind me to hug you after the game tonight.”

“I will.” I told him with a grin of my own. “As soon as you’ve showered and changed.”

He leaned down and kissed me on the nose. “I love you.” He muttered.

“I love you too.” I whispered, my arms wrapped tightly around his waist. “But I would love to know why you decided to wake me at seven when I didn’t need to be up until nine at the absolute earliest.”

“Because I have to be on the ice at eight thirty and I thought what a better way to start my day then with breakfast with the most beautiful woman in the world?” Sidney said, with a grin.

“Well you’d better go and find her, ‘cause she’s probably getting sick of waiting for you.” I said, glancing around.

Sidney rolled his eyes. “You, Drew, are the most beautiful woman in the world.”

“You did notice that I literally just rolled out of bed right?” I teased him.

“Wearing Dion’s sweat’s from the looks of it.” Sidney said, looking me up and down.

“You are seriously not going to make me go downstairs to the restaurant like this are you?” I whined.

“Of course not.” He said, rolling his eyes again. “Room service should be here any minute. I just intend to be in the bathroom when it comes.”

I shook my head. “When are we going to be done with all this sneaking around?” I asked him. “I swear, I’m going to go nucking futs if we don’t get to end this soon.”

“I have to be eighteen remember?” Sidney replied, leaning down to kiss my nose again as someone knocked on the door. “It’s your rule after all Drew….”

I grumbled under my breath as Sidney immediately released me and ducked into the bathroom. I shook my head with a sigh. He said eighteen, but I knew full well that when he turned eighteen… when he’d been drafted to the NHL, then Pat’s plans for marketing him were going to get bigger.

And when Pat’s marketing plans for Sid got bigger, I’d be pushed farther and farther into the shadows. I answered the door and had the guy bring breakfast into the room before giving him a healthy tip. “Sid you can come out now.” I called when he was gone.

“You didn’t have to give him that much of a tip.” Sid said, reaching for his wallet.

“Who says I gave the guy a big tip?” I asked, raising my eyebrows.

Sidney shook his head with a wry grin. “The guy was stammering as you let him out.” He reminded me, in case I hadn’t been paying attention. “That told me, all by itself.”

I shrugged with a grin, snuggling into his chest. “It’s no big deal Sid, and I will not take your money.”

Sidney shook his head again, rolling his eyes as he did so. “Fine Drew, but I totally gave Taylor money for shopping today – so try not to spend too much on her.”

“Can we stop talking about money?” I asked him with a sigh, knowing full well exactly where this conversation was going to lead us. “We always argue when we talk about money.”

Sidney dropped a quick kiss on my forehead. “Of course baby, what do you want to talk about?”

“How’s your back?” I asked him anxiously, trying to get a good look at it. “You took some pretty dirty hits last night. I’ve been worried. Especially when you didn’t come to visit me last night.” I said pointedly. “D said that you would and then Marc-Antoine and Eric and Patrick all stopped by, and then Mike and Jeff and a couple of the other boys came by and you didn’t.”

Sidney shrugged, looking a little shamefaced yet a little irritated with me at the same time. “I told you Drew, I had some time with the massage therapist and the physio guy last night.” He told me. “I’ll be good to go tonight, I promise.”

“I don’t care about that.” I grumbled. “I care about whether or not your back is hurting.”

Sidney grinned at me. “God I love you.” He muttered, his lips taking possession of mine.

“I love you too.” I said, as I kissed him back gently. “Now you need to eat your breakfast before it gets cold.”

Sidney raised his eyebrows. “Don’t you mean before what you don’t eat and that which I am expected to eat gets cold?” He asked.

I shrugged with a grin. “Hey you chose to eat with me, and that means you basically chose to replace Dion. As such it is clearly your duty to eat whatever it is that is left on my plate when I have completed eating.”

“You are aware that next year Dion will not be living in Red Deer right?” Sidney asked. “And will therefore not be there to finish all of your breakfasts, lunches and dinners.”

“Calgary’s only an hour away the way that I drive.” I said with another shrug. “And that’s where he’s going to be next year.”

“So you’re going to spend your life on the highway between Red Deer and Calgary just so Dion can eat the remains of your meals?” Sidney asked with an amused grin.

“Well….” I said, feeling flustered, and suddenly worrying about next year and how I was going to manage without Dion. “I’ve been eating this way for a long time Sid… I think sometimes that I put extra food on my plate knowing that Dion is going to eat it when I can’t finish it.”

Sidney nodded, understanding in his hazel eyes. “I do understand baby.” He said, reaching across the table, and holding my hands in his, his thumbs softly playing with my hands. “Really I do.” He said.

I nodded. There are times when I think that Sidney actually does get it and other times when I’m just as positive that he has NO clue about how much I really do need Dion. I was scared about next year. “I’m scared.” I whispered, glancing down at our hands.

“Don’t be scared baby.” Sidney said gently, titling my chin with his hand gently so that I was looking him in the eyes. “Like you said… Calgary is only an hour away, the way that you drive, and I’ll be there for you too Drew… baby I know that I’m not Dion… I know that we don’t have what you have with him… but you and I have something special too….”

I smiled. “Of course we do… its definitely more special then anything I’ve ever had with any other guy.”

“And more special then anything I’ve had with any other girl.” Sidney interjected.

I laughed. “Damned straight it is.” I said with a grin. “Before me did you ever have anything with a girl that lasted more then a couple of weeks?” I asked.

“Not that I can think of, no.” Sidney replied with a wry grin. Then he raised his eyebrows. “And you have?”

“No, not really.” I said with a wry smile of my own. “But that’s who I am, and I refuse to be ashamed of it.”

“Same here.” Sidney said, smiling at me in that special way that let me know that he loved me more then anyone else in his life.

“But we have each other now.” I said, as if I were reminding us both of that fact.

“Yes.” Sidney said with a gentle smile. “We do.”

“That doesn’t mean that we still don’t need our friends though.” I pointed out. “I still need Dion.”

“I know.” Sidney said softly, that smile still on his face.

“Stop looking at me like that!” I commanded, blushing. “I am trying to have a serious conversation here.”

“Stop looking at you like what?” Sidney asked a wicked gleam in his eyes.

“Like you want to eat me.” I said blushing.

“But I do want to eat you.” Sidney replied, taking my hand in his and gently sucking on my index finger.

I shivered deliciously. “Stop it.” I whispered.

“That’s not what you really want to say baby.” Sidney replied, his eyes still burning into mine. “What you really want to say is ‘no, Sidney, please don’t stop,’” He said with a fake moan in a totally feminine voice.

I stuck my tongue out at him and pulled my hand out of his. “You are being a jerk Crosby.”

Sidney shrugged, with a wicked grin. “And you, Drew, are horny.”

“Shut up.” I snapped, feeling a little cranky, because I knew that he was right.

“Drew is horny, Drew is horny….” Sidney teased me, his thumb teasing the palm of my hand.

“You’re a jerk Crosby.” I said, a smile now on my face.

“You only say that because I speak truth.” He replied, grinning. “When was the last time you got laid?”

“You know DAMN well when the last time I got laid was.” I grumbled. “How about you?” I turned it on him. “With that… Amby in Halifax?”

“No.” Sidney replied blushing immediately.

“Who?” I asked.

“My usual, in Rimouski.” Sidney told me honestly, the blush still playing on his cheeks.

“Oh.” I said softly, to see how he’d respond.

“Drew I swear, I do love you.” He said immediately.

Seeing the look in his eyes and hearing the tone of his voice I burst out laughing, and Sidney immediately looked hurt. “Oh baby….” I murmured, taking his hand in mine and kissing it, gently sucking on his index finger, knowing full well that I was driving him crazy. “You know that I love you and want you to be happy.”

“I still shouldn’t fuck around on you.”

“Probably not.” I agreed with a shrug. “But I won’t worry about that until you and I are in the same time zone. If you cheat on me then… well then I’ll have no choice but to cut off your dick.”

No comments: