Saturday, January 24, 2009

Chapter 3-How I Feel

We stayed up for a long time talking, and I went to bed around two, and woke up around ten forty-five. I didn’t sleep very well; I definitely had way too much on my mind. I try to fall back asleep, but when I realize that isn’t going to happen I get out of bed and take a shower.
As I’m making breakfast with Ann after my shower, my phone rings. It’s Jordan.
“Hey, what’s up?” I ask him.
“Not much, just got out of morning skate,” he tells me. “I’m driving back home to take a nap.”
“Nice, I just woke up a little bit ago.”
“How was your date last night?” he asks.
“I really don’t want to talk about that over the phone. Can we talk in the car on the way to the game?”
“Sure, of course. That’s why I was calling. Can I pick you up at about four thirty? The game starts at seven.”
“Of course, sounds good, I’ll see you then.”
We talk for a couple more minutes, until Jordan gets back to the apartment he got downtown at the beginning of the season, and I tell him I’ll see him tonight. I hang up the phone and get back to making pancakes for the three of us, since Helen just woke up.
“How’s Jordan?” Ann asks with a little smirk on her face.
“Fine, just fine,” I tell them, and I get back to making pancakes. That ends that conversation.
*****
At four thirty, Jordan calls me to let me know that he’s just about here, so I say goodbye to Ann and Helen and run out the door to his car.
“Hey,” I say as I open the door and get into the passenger seat.
“Hey, what’s up?” he asks. I close the door and we start moving.
“Oh, not too much.”
“Want to tell me about that date last night?” he asks.
“I guess so.” I don’t say anything for a minute, and we’re stopped at a light.
“So, are you going to say anything?” he laughs.
“Yeah, sure I guess,” I laugh. “I mean, it was fine and all, but I don’t think there’s anything there. You know what I’m talking about?”
“I know what you’re saying,” he says.
“I mean, I thought there was something there at first, but there definitely isn’t anything there. When he kissed me, it was just nothing. I actually just wanted it to end.”
“Well that’s not good,” he laughs.
“Oh thanks,” I laugh as I jokingly hit him in the arm. “Trust me; I realize that’s not good. That’s why I plan to break it off once he gets back here, at some point this week.”
“Aren’t you a heartbreaker! That guy loves you.”
“Well, what can I say? I’m irresistible.” We both laugh and talk about other things. I ask him about Heather, and he asks me about class. We get to the arena a little before five, and I walk in with Jordan and pick up my ticket at the window inside near the entry to the locker room area. Since it’s early, I hang out in the “family room” with some of the girlfriends that have come early, like Marc-Andre’s girlfriend Veronique. We’ve become friends over the past couple of years, since I come to all of the games and hang out with everyone.
I head into the stands when the gates open, because I have a couple of friends that are coming to the game, so I meet up with them and we hang out through warm-ups, when I head to my seat.
Jordan’s POV
Damn, Maddie looked good tonight. Why is all of this happening to me now? I have a girlfriend, but now I’m attracted to my best friend. I have to concentrate on my game right now: it’s a contract year for me, and I want to stay here. I like it here. I love the guys here. I have a shot to win the Cup here. I didn’t put up the numbers I wanted to last year and I have to do well this year to prove I should stay. I need to concentrate on the game tonight.
Maddie’s POV
The Pens won 4-1 tonight, but Jordan didn’t put up any points tonight, so I know he’s going to be a little upset with himself, but happy that the team won. I wait for him, and tonight he’s out a little faster than usual. I’ve changed into a different top and shoes, to meet Diesel’s dress code, and to look like I didn’t come right from a hockey game.
“Nice game!” I tell Jordan as he walks towards me.
“Thanks,” he replies, giving me a hug.
We hang out for a few minutes until more of the guys are out and ready to head over to the club. Jordan stops and signs a few autographs before we make our way over to the South Side.
“You changed your clothes,” Jordan says after we pull out of the Mellon Arena parking lot.
“Well, I couldn’t go to Diesel in a Pens shirt and Pumas,” I laugh.
“You look nice,” he compliments me. “Sid won’t be able to keep his eyes off of you.”
“Haha, very funny. For a second there I thought you were actually giving me a compliment.”
“And who said I wasn’t? You look good.”
“Well thanks,” I say, putting my hand on his arm and shaking it. “I’m not really interested in hooking up with Sid though.”
“I know,” he laughs. “I just know it pisses you off whenever I mention it.”
Once we get to Diesel, I produce my fake ID (it’s actually my sister’s ID, we look alike), and we head up to the VIP section, and a few of the guys have beaten us here. I ate towards the end of the game in anticipation of drinking, and I only have one drink before I switch to water because I know I’m going to have to drive Jordan back to his apartment tonight. Let’s just say this isn’t the first time I’ve had to do this. He owes me a ton.
We have a ton of fun. I mainly dance with Jordan, but dance with a lot of the other guys too, mainly by dragging them out onto the floor with me. We leave Diesel around one thirty, and Jordan is definitely more than a little drunk. I drive him back to his apartment and realize I really don’t have any way of getting home, so I decide to crash at his apartment and I text Ann and Helen to let them know I won’t be coming home. He doesn’t have anything for the second bedroom yet, so after I manage to get Jordan into bed, I find a pair of his shorts and a t-shirt and put those on, grab a blanket and pillow, and crash on his couch.

No comments: