Saturday, January 24, 2009

Chapter 1-How I Feel

It was a Thursday night and the Penguins had a home game, which meant I was going to be going to cheer Jordan on. Heather was here last weekend for the opener, and even though we hung out a lot (we get along really well), every time I saw her I felt guilty about my feelings for Jordan. It just eats away at me every time, because that’s her boyfriend down there on the ice right now. Jordan looks up at me and winks, taking me out of my thoughts and into the arena. I wink back at him and he smiles, and I smile back. Damn it all, I think to myself. He’s with Heather. He’s not in love with you. You need to stop it NOW.
Part of me wonders what Jordan’s thinking about right now. Obviously, he’s thinking about the game and what he has to do to beat the Capitals.
Jordan’s Point of View
I saw Maddie up in the stands, in the seat where she always sits to cheer me on. She comes to every single one of my games, and she is one of my best friends. I try to concentrate on warm-ups, but I can’t. There’s something that’s different now, and I can’t put my finger on it. We’re friends and I have a great girlfriend, but has something changed? When Maddie came up to visit me towards the end of July, it seemed like something changed. I noticed the little things, like how good she looked in her bikini and how great she was. I know I need to stop thinking like this, because I have a girlfriend, but I just can’t. Heather and I haven’t been seeing eye-to-eye on a lot of things lately, and to be honest, I’m not sure what to do about that, or what I should do about Maddie. I don’t want to do or say anything that could ruin our friendship, because Maddie is one of the best friends I have ever had. And she’s dating that guy Ryan now. He seems like a good guy, but since Maddie and I are such good friends, I’m really protective, and I don’t really trust the guy. But, Maddie seems to like him, so I’ll give him a chance.
*****
Back to Maddie
The Penguins lose, 4-3, and I make my way down to the locker room to see Jordan. I have to wait for awhile, but he finally comes out, looking a little upset.
“Hey,” I say to him as he walks towards me. I give him a hug, since he looks like he needs it.
“Hey,” he says back as he returns the hug, and it lasts for a few seconds. After our hug, he tells me, “Thanks. I needed that.”
“No problem,” I laugh. “You played a good game though.”
“It was okay. I mean, obviously it could have been a lot better.”
“Shit happens. You’ll win the next one.”
We stand there in silence for a few seconds, and then Jordan breaks it.
“So, want to go get something to eat?” he asks me. “I’m starving.”
“Sure, I’m hungry too.”
We walk out to Jordan’s car (one of my friends dropped me off at the arena on her way to her internship, so I’m riding with Jordan), and on our way out, he stops and signs a few autographs and then we head to find food. It’s late, but we go to one of our usual places, and we’re there past midnight. We’re the last people to leave the place, and Jordan gives me a ride back to my apartment in Oakland, right near the Pitt campus.
“So, you coming on Saturday night?” he asks me, referring to the game against the Maple Leafs.
“Of course!” I reply. “What else do I have to do?”
“Well, you have that boyfriend of yours,” he tells me, laughing.
“He’s not really my boyfriend yet! Besides, he has some family thing on Saturday. He asked me if I wanted to go, and I said no. It’s way too soon for that shit. So we’re going out tomorrow night. Besides, I wouldn’t miss one of my best friend’s games!” I elbow him in the arm.
“Good. Cause we’re going out afterwards and I know how much you love hanging out with us. Especially Sid.”
Jordan always jokes that I am in love with Sidney Crosby, which, I am most certainly not. He’s a good guy and we’re friends, but that’s about it.
“How many times do I have to tell you that I’m not in love with Sid? That’s just weird,” I tell him, laughing.
“I know, I just love to give you shit about it. So, want me to just pick you up on Saturday? Then you don’t have to drive.”
“Sure, sounds good. Give me a call.”
“Great, see you on Saturday then.”
I give Jordan a hug, say goodbye, and head into my apartment. Since it’s Thursday and a huge party night, my roommates aren’t home, and I really don’t feel like finding out where they are, I just head to bed, but I don’t fall asleep for awhile. I’m thinking about Jordan, and Ryan then pops into my thoughts too. Damn it, I am screwed.

No comments: