Sunday, March 22, 2009

1-Teacher's Pet

As I slid the key into the lock, I felt a wave of butterflies come over me. This was my classroom; the place where I could share what I’ve learned in my 20 years on earth. I was back in my hometown teaching what I love, English. But it wasn’t hat boring kind written by people 3 centuries ago. I was teaching modern English …a course for those like me who just flat out like to read. They get to pick the books and they get to do most of the ‘teaching’. Oh and we didn’t have to think while reading. This course was purely to enjoy without the bother of tests and quizzes.
I had already prepared everything for tomorrow classes. Today I was to meet with a few of my students. Then later I had a meeting with the local hockey coach about helping with the team. My first meeting was with one of the hockey players though I couldn’t remember his name. I reread the email his mother had sent me.

Dear Ms. James

I am a little concerned about Jared. Your class was given to him at the last minute and he really isn’t a reader. If you wouldn’t mind meeting with us to further discuss what your class requires that would be great.

Sincerely, Linda Staal.

Why oh why did that last name seem so familiar. Yeah Jared Staal…I think I’ve heard of him from someone or somewhere. Well no time to think of it now.

As that thought ran through my head I heard a knock on the doorframe. I motioned for them to come in as I stood. We shook hands and made our way to my desk.

“Hi Mrs. Staal, I’m Heather James.”

“Nice to meet you, this is my youngest son Jared. We all sat down and I asked about her concerns.

“Well let’s just say English has never been his strongest class and I’m worried that the pace will be too much.”

“Actually the pace is what the students want it to be.” I plan my lessons around what they want. There will be book talks but no written assignments. As long as a reading log is filled out each week and the student has made some progress in their novel there won’t any issues. We’ll have discussion groups and a board of book suggestions for each class. I plan on this being a very laid back class. “

I paused to breathe and let both Linda and Jared absorb the information. They both smiled and stood up to leave.

“Thank you so much…please let me know if you have any problems.” I shook both their hands before they left.

No comments: