Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Chapter 1 - An American Flavour

It started off innocently enough. It was the first day of school, in September, and I’d been back at Shattuck’s for just over a week. I’d spent most of the summer there in fact, in music programs and soccer camps. Grandmama had insisted that I go spend two weeks in New York shopping with her, spending the weekends at her home in the Hamptons. I was wandering toward my homeroom when it happened.
One thing you probably need to know is that Shattuck’s is a fairly small school. There are only about 300 to 350 students, 6-12. Classes average only 10-15 students (another reason Grandmama chose this school). Everyone knows EVERYONE. You just can’t help it. And the guys totally outnumber the girls. There are more guys’ athletic teams and so that’s why they dominate.
The school tries really hard to promote the arts to get more girls at the school. Either way, it was a gorgeous September day, and I had big plans after school. It early in the day and it was already 80 degrees outside. So I was planning on hanging out outside and keeping my tan in tip top shape when everyone else packed for the silly retreat they made us go on every year, when Mr. Stoneman, the headman came up to me, leading a new student and his parents. “Here she is now.” He was saying. “One of our best students.”
I glanced behind me. I was totally early, on account of how I totally hate the group bathrooms and the fact that the girls always stare at me, but don’t really say anything, so I get up early and shower long before everyone else is up. But there was no one behind me. I starred at Mr. Stoneman.
“Kallista.” He said warmly.
I just looked at him oddly. “Yes sir?” I replied.
“I’d like you to meet the newest member of our Bantam Tier I Hockey Team, and his parents.” He said with a big smile plastered on his face.
“Okay.” I said with a shrug ensure of why he wanted me to meet the guy, then I turned and looked at him. “Sir.” I added as an after thought.
My sky blue eyes met chocolate brown ones and my heart stood still. I swear it literally stopped beating. They say that the eyes are the window to the soul. I could see him, and what was even more disturbing, I knew him. This was who I’d been looking for. This was the person I’d been searching for with every other guy I slept with. This was the person I wanted to be with. I knew him. I’d known him forever.
“Kallista did you hear me?” Mr. Stoneman asked severely, the tone I was used to hearing from him, rather then this sugary-sweet tone he was using in front of the parents.
“Umm no sir.” I mumbled, looking at my books, and away from those eyes and that soul that I’d known forever.
“This is Mr. & Mrs. Crosby and their son Sidney, who will be joining us here at Shattuck’s for the year.” Mr. Stoneman said, the sugary-sweet voice back again.
“Pleased to meet you.” I said, shaking his parent’s hands politely.
“I would like you to show Sidney to his homeroom today.” Mr. Stoneman said, his eyebrows raised as he looked at me, clearly saying that I had better be there to help him or Mr. Stoneman would want to know why.
“Yes sir.” I replied.
“Good.” He said, giving me the stern look one more time for emphasis. “Now, Mr. & Mrs. Crosby, come right this way, and we’ll discuss the tuition payment plan that our financial services have established for you.”
“Umm hi.” Sidney said quietly.
“Who’s your homeroom teacher?” I asked quickly, wanting to get this over with before anyone saw us together. If anyone saw us together, then they’d “warn” Sidney away from me. Since I didn’t want him to be warned off me, it was better if no one saw us together.
“We’ve got like a ¾ of an hour before school starts though.” Sidney said.
I shrugged. “Well I’m here early for a reason.” I replied.
But Sidney wouldn’t be denied. “So Kallista. That’s an interesting name.” He said. “So’s Sidney.” I said. “My Mom was probably stoned when she named me. She was in Law School when she got pregnant and she and my Dad smoked a lot of weed.”
Sidney shrugged. “It’s pretty.” He said, glancing at me, and blushing.
“Call me Kally.” I replied, my heart softening in spite of myself.
“So what grade are you in?” He asked, clearly not about to leave me alone.
“I’m a senior.” I replied. “Have you been to your dorm room yet?” I asked.
“Yeah, my parents and I dumped my shit off there yesterday.” He said.
I glanced at him. “Umm rule #1 kid.” I said. “We don’t use vulgar language in any of the school buildings.” I warned him. “None of the teachers look kindly upon it.”
“Sorry.” He shrugged, unapologetic, so I didn’t really get why he was saying sorry, I’ve since learned that Canadians often say “I’m sorry” even if they aren’t. “I’m a hockey player. Those are the kind of words I hear most often.”
“And you still will.” I informed him. “On the ice. In the dorms. Just not in the school buildings. Trust me. You don’t want to see how red in the face Mr. Stoneman goes when you cuss.” I paused and grinned having seen Mr. Stoneman get red in the face many, many times, but feeling far too relaxed with this guy. “Well maybe you do want to see it, I’d just prefer not to be around when you did, well whatever you did to make him go red in the face.”
“Why?” He asked.
“Because I’d end up with some of blame.” I told him honestly. “I am not one of Stoney’s favourite people. In fact, if it weren’t for the money my Grandparents donate every time I do something stupid, I would have found myself out on my ah- I mean rear a long time ago.” “But he called you one of Shattuck’s best students.” Sidney said, looking a little confused. I snorted. “I’ll let you discover my history through the gossip the way every other new student does thanks. Telling the story myself is far too much work.”
It was his turn to snort. “Gossip means nothing.” He informed me.
“Depends on the gossip kid.” I said. “But you’ll learn that soon enough.” I paused. “Have you eaten yet?” I asked.
“I ate with my parents earlier.” He said. “Have you eaten?”
“I don’t eat in the dinning hall.” I said with a shrug. “At least, not when I can avoid it.” “So how are you going to avoid it today?” He asked.
I grinned wickedly. “I have my ways.”
“I’m not sure that I want to know.” Sidney said, but his eyes were smiling.
“Come on.” I said, turning around and walking backwards down the empty hallway. “You know you wanna….”
I led us through St. Mary’s Hall, past the noisy dining room and into the kitchens. “Umm are we allowed back here?” He asked.
“Nope.” I replied.
“Miss Kally you are back!” A familiar voice called.
“Anna!” I said, hugging the plump woman, who I hadn’t seen, even though I’d been at Shattuck’s for about a week, since I’d spent most of my time eating off campus, and Anna had been on holidays. “Got anything to eat?”
“For you Miss Kally?” She said with a smile. “Always.” She paused. “Who is your friend?” She asked.
“Anna, this is Sidney Crosby, he’s new here, Stoney told me to show him around.” I explained. “Kid, this is Anna. She makes the best food you’ve ever tasted.”
Anna beamed as I praised her. “Come Miss Kally. I have your favourite all ready for you.” She said as she turned and I followed her back to a small table towards the back of the kitchen. Sidney just stood there until I turned and said. “You coming kid?”
He followed me. “How much trouble are we going to get into for this?” He whispered in my ear, his breath hot on my neck, causing me to shiver because he was so close to me. I forced myself to shrug nonchalantly.
“None.” I said. “Anna will never tell a soul. You don’t actually think I eat over at Berker Hall do you?” I asked.
Sidney shrugged in reply. “I just got here remember? I just don’t know the story yet.” “Well I don’t.” I said, shrugging again. “Anna makes sure I eat by feeding me here in the kitchens. No one says anything about it because Grandmama would fly in from New York like a bat out of hell. Then all her and Grandpapa’s fancy donations to the school would stop, so Anna doesn’t get in trouble, and I don’t have to go through the hell of eating at the dorms.”
“Is it really that bad?” Sidney asked as we sat at the table.
I shrugged yet again. “It is if you’re me.” I said. “You’re a Tier I Bantam at least, that’s what Stoney said right?”
“Yeah.” He said.
“Well you must be good if Stoney publicly said that you have a spot on that team, you’ll be just fine.” I told him. “You’ll be a hero around here in no time kid.”
“Here Miss Kally!” Anna said excitedly putting down a plate with a couple of blueberry muffin and some butter on the table. “You eat now. You are too skinny.”
I smiled. “Thanks Anna.” I said, ripping off a bit of muffin and lathering it with butter. I ate in silence for a few minutes as Sidney watched me. Anna came and went, bringing a couple of glasses of my favourite orange juice (Sunny D, Florida Style, sugar in a cup) and setting them down on the table. “You just gonna watch me eat or are you gonna have anything kid?”
“I told you I already ate.” Sidney said, still watching me eat.
I laughed and rolled my eyes. “And I haven’t been stuck at a school where the guys outnumber the girls 2-1 since I was 11. You’re, what, a fifteen-year-old boy?” He nodded. “And a hockey player. You’re always hungry. Beside, Anna makes some of the best muffins you’ll ever have. These are homemade kid, not from a box. If you don’t want the other one I’ll take it and eat it at lunch.”
Sidney finally picked up the muffin and buttered it liberally. “I turned 15 in August.” He said, taking a bite. “How old are you?”
“16.” I told him, finishing off what I was going to eat of muffin I was going to eat. “I’ll be 17 in December.”
“Wow this is good.” He said, taking another big bite.
“Told you so.” I said before glancing at my watch. “Now come on, we only have 20 minutes before school starts. Let’s get you to your homeroom.”
“I thought we had, like this, outdoor nature thing for a few days.” He said. “Why do we have to go to homeroom?”
“To get to know who you’ll be living with.” I explained, rolling my eyes. “And so that everyone knows what to pack.”
“I guess you’ve been here awhile huh?” Sidney said. “So this is all old news to you.” “Since the second half of the 6th grade.” I said, downing my orange juice. “I’m already packed. Now come on. Who is your homeroom teacher?”
“Mr. Collins.” He said checking the schedule.
“You’ll like him.” I said, nodding. “He’s one of the hockey coaches. I think he does the guys under 16.”
“Not me then.” Sidney said.
“Nope.” I paused as we wandered through the halls. “Have you met Mr. Parisé yet?” I asked.
Sidney nodded. “He and Zach talked me into coming here.”
“You know Zach?” I asked, eyes wide.
“Don’ tell me, let me guess.” Sidney said, rolling his eyes. “You think he’s soooo hot.” He drawled in a snotty voice.
I grinned. “I take it girls have said that around you before.”
He rolled his eyes again. “Yes.” He said. “And it’s annoying.”
“Well I know Zach.” I said. “I won’t tell you that ‘he’s soooo hot’ though, I’m sure enough girls will say it later. I mean, I’ve only been here for four and half years. He was here for two… it’s not a big school. You kind of get to know everyone.”
“Does that mean I’ll get to know you?” Sidney asked.
I shrugged. “If you want to I suppose.” I said, my heart singing as I tried to shrug nonchalantly. “But you’ll be pretty busy especially during the fall, and I play soccer, so I’m pretty busy.”
“Oh.” He replied.
“So here you are.” I said as we arrived at Mr. Collins’ class.
“Will I see you later?” He asked.
I shrugged. “You’ll see me.” I said. “It’s hard not to at this school. Whether or not you’ll want to talk to me after is another story entirely.”

No comments: